View Full Version : Starting out for oldies...

dumpty
24th Apr 2001, 18:52
I'd love to move into a flying career but I'm wondering whether I really have any chance of getting in. Problem is that I'm 34 with no real experience in aviation, other than as a passenger and a few trial flights. After I graduated I got as far as getting the BA cadetship form in my grubby paws but never sent it in. For the last couple years I've been regretting this, and have now decided to seriously find out if there's a way to catch up (well, you only live once, might as well spend your working life doing something more enjoyable than I do now). I'd have no problems paying for my own PPL if I thought it'd get me anywhere, but obviously that's not going to get me a job!

So, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following:

- do any of the airlines/training places do scholarships for anyone of my age (£50-£60k for a self sponsored ATPL is just too much for me)? I assume the answer's no but I gotta ask!
- even if I got the ATPL, what realistic opportunity does a (by then) 36 year old frozen ATPL have in the job market?
- does getting some hours in on something more mundane (instructing, air taxi, whatever) do anything to the CV to make it more likely than an airline would take you?

Joaquín
24th Apr 2001, 21:13
dumpty
I really don't know about sponsorships, but as far as I've seen, the top age seems to be 29. Having said that, I'm 33 self-funded ATPL student (just passed my first 8 ground papers!!!), PPL, IMC, and I've read in this forum a lot of positive feedback from people who started even later in their lives and are know happily flying. It is not easy and the competition is fierce, but if you are really commited and you put your soul in it, I'm sure you'll succeed.
Good luck

Little Miss
24th Apr 2001, 21:47
There was a guy on my course who was older than you and self sponsered. He managed better than the younger ones but I m not sure if he has got a job. Another person about the same age as you was sponsered by an airline and coped, now flys jets. You come across lots of older people who decided late on in life to take the plunge.If its what you really want go for it, if your not sure do your ppl or become an instructor.

rex
24th Apr 2001, 22:42
Hi dumpty
Don't worry about age, I am 36 doing a PPL and have a class 1 medical. ATPL ground school then CPL by this time next year. Possibly flying instructor after that. All I know is that I want to fly and when I go to the airfield early in the mornings, look at the aircraft, look at the sky and breathe in the fresh air.............
You know you want it :) :) :)

catswhisker
25th Apr 2001, 02:56
dumpty... when your nappy isn't being changed, you might be able to get someone to translate the "Over 40 Club" on this Forum into coloquial Postman Pat.. ("Postman Pat and his invisible CAT..")
Read it and grin.
Then laugh. Aloud.
Good luck!