PDA

View Full Version : Solent Transport Drone Supplies to IOW

BirdmanBerry
25th Apr 2020, 12:30
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52419705

Solent Transport are hoping to operate drone deliveries between the mainland and Isle of Wight.

SpringHeeledJack
25th Apr 2020, 12:53
I saw this and wondered how and who would be controlling the drone 'at the other end' so to say ? Would the comms link allow the 'pilot' to sit at Portsmouth and control the drone, or would they need someone at each end ? Other than military grade drone systems I'd wonder who would provide insurance cover etc to any such operator.

BirdmanBerry
25th Apr 2020, 15:25
Seems iffy to me a bit considering the weather on the coast can change pretty quickly. Interested to see it going though!

posso
26th Apr 2020, 21:31
Looks like it could be boom time at Binstead International airport! (Little used private strip at Newnham farm). Being a local IOW yokel will watch with interest see if it ever happens. Despite the current situation no probs getting stuff to and from the Island.

However should they like to make a trial delivery of booze or perhaps a chinky take away to me, will be more than willing to take part in the trials!

Null Orifice
27th Apr 2020, 10:24
SpringHeeledJack
The BBC article states "Two safety pilots - one at each airfield - will oversee each flight.".
Whether that means they will both have some measure of control, or one of them will simply 'oversee' the arrival (whatever that may mean), is not clear.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Apr 2020, 17:59
Thanks N O! I watched the video and hadn't read the article.

posso
9th May 2020, 14:03
Southampton Uni drone G-CLLU the first arrival at Binstead International today at 14.30hrs approx., having made the hop across from Lee. Hope they brought me something nice!