PDA

View Full Version : Huey down in Arizona

donner89
25th Apr 2020, 04:50
Unable to post the link but appears to be a UH1 with 2 on board. 1 deceased at the scene. Footage of the wreckage shows the vertical fin and TR missing

KiwiNedNZ
25th Apr 2020, 05:49
Another video is out there showing it after the TR and gearbox have seperated. :(

skadi
25th Apr 2020, 06:38
Obviously something happend with the tailrotor in the approachphase

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/677714

edit: tailrotor was found just over 1mile from crashsite

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/235487

skadi

havick
27th Apr 2020, 03:27
Was this machine supposed to be going on a fire contract or was it s privately owned machine?

27th Apr 2020, 12:59
From Skadi's second link the TR gearbox appears to have detached and taken the whole TR with it - lucky anyone survived it.

gulliBell
27th Apr 2020, 13:07
That helicopter started spinning out of control because power was going into the power train. The low airspeed didn't help either (vertical fin seemed to be attached prior to impact, not effective if no airspeed). Yes, it hit the ground hard, lucky anybody survived. Lucky no collateral damage on the ground either.

JohnDixson
27th Apr 2020, 16:21
Accentuating the problem for the pilot was the CG shift forward due to the loss of the TR, TR gearbox and it looks like,,part/all of the vertical tail structure. Nose looks quite down in the short video. A real handful.

Gordy
27th Apr 2020, 17:28
Was this machine supposed to be going on a fire contract or was it s privately owned machine?
It was on its way to its home base. It did have a CWN fire contract and has worked fires in the past----it would have probably worked fires this year, but was not on its way to a fire when this happened.

havick
27th Apr 2020, 23:30
It was on its way to its home base. It did have a CWN fire contract and has worked fires in the past----it would have probably worked fires this year, but was not on its way to a fire when this happened.

Thanks Gordy. I live nearby and also fly a 212 for relief. Wasn’t sure if i knew the crew.

Gordy
27th Apr 2020, 23:38
Thanks Gordy. I live nearby and also fly a 212 for relief. Wasn’t sure if i knew the crew.
Chip Paige died, not sure who he had on board with him.