PDA

View Full Version : is FR24 airspace busy?

Minmin135
24th Apr 2020, 09:19
Hi everyone,
I cant get my head around it? Live shot of FR24 and the skies are PACKED. Am I missing something here. All I hear is cancelling this cancelling that but the skies appear full?

kcockayne
24th Apr 2020, 19:08
There may appear to be quite a lot of traffic to you, but I can assure you that there is a huge amount less than in normal times. I have to say that I am a little surprised at the amount of traffic (mostly freighters); but it is a lot less than normal.

DaveReidUK
24th Apr 2020, 20:31
Hi everyone,
I cant get my head around it? Live shot of FR24 and the skies are PACKED. Am I missing something here. All I hear is cancelling this cancelling that but the skies appear full?

FR24 always gives a misleading impression of how busy airspace is when the map is populated by aircraft the size of Long Island.

pax britanica
25th Apr 2020, 12:37
As pointed out FR 24 needs to be viewed on the right scale .

The things I have noted on it are

mssive increase in number of freighters I wonder how this can be since the dark of night is their domain and can the crews adapt to bight sunshine safely -just kidding but it does seem that many more day freight flights are around..

East Midlands seems to be UKs second busiest airport as Gatwick , MAN and STN , especially the former seem to have barely any movements . Same as Liege and Leipzig seem to have found new status for same reasons as EMA.

The irony that much of remaining LHR long haul is to and from Asia where all the problems started while the bread and butter daily streams of A319/20/21 from European cities seems to have largely dried up.

Repos
25th Apr 2020, 15:35
Casting an eye over FR24 I reckon the global figures are at about 30/40 per cent of normal, (accepting the limitations of the figures)
e.g., 0700 UTC the figures would probably be around 8000 where these days they are around 3000.
As others said, lot of freight, and it seems a few business jets with no destination?

Big Tudor
25th Apr 2020, 17:11
See the following report from NATS.

https://nats.aero/blog/2020/03/weathering-the-storm-coronavirus-and-air-traffic-control/

And a quote from the page.

Visualisation showing 25 March 2019 – 6,224 flights – and 25 March 2020 – 1,415 flights, A 77% drop.

This is for March before the reduction in passenger traffic really kicked in. Would imagine April is going to be even more dramatic.