PDA

View Full Version : Swissport in trouble?

vhtae
22nd Apr 2020, 10:58
Seems Swissport is in dire situation..

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6730907/thousands-of-airport-staff-facing-the-sack/?cs=14231

Paragraph377
22nd Apr 2020, 11:16
Seems Swissport is in dire situation..
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6730907/thousands-of-airport-staff-facing-the-sack/?cs=14231
$125m bailout? Aren’t they foreign owned now? Oh well, Shelly and Rutherford made millions and millions out of Aerocare and then many more millions out of the sale of Aerocare to Swissport so at least their Sydney Harbourside mansions and bank balances are safe.

cnsnz
22nd Apr 2020, 11:20
Perhaps it is more to highlight the lack of support provided by the govt to Ground Handlers whom provide a very large portion of staff to the Aviation Industry?
Ground Handlers have not recieved any assistance from the aviation industry relief package.

gordonfvckingramsay
22nd Apr 2020, 11:24
Another example of scum sucking corporate company headquartered in China, sub-headquartered in Switzerland, undercutting and hurting decent Australians.

Ground Handlers have not recieved any assistance from the aviation industry relief package.

Governance of Australia’s corporate landscape has been piss poor for decades and this is the result.

halas
22nd Apr 2020, 11:54
Last l heard Swissport were part of HNA

halas

The Golden Rivet
22nd Apr 2020, 13:49
All those swissport guys were hands down the nicest and hardest workers at the drome, have some f*$king respect for these people who unloaded your plane, pushed them around (even after your at the pub) and then cleaned them all while working split shifts at the minimum wage and all most of them wanted to do was fly (a lot of them were freshly minted pilots) good luck swissporters...

wondrousbitofrough
22nd Apr 2020, 18:02
All those swissport guys were hands down the nicest and hardest workers at the drome, have some f*$king respect for these people who unloaded your plane, pushed them around (even after your at the pub) and then cleaned them all while working split shifts at the minimum wage and all most of them wanted to do was fly (a lot of them were freshly minted pilots) good luck swissporters...

^wot he said.

gordonfvckingramsay
22nd Apr 2020, 22:49

It was a go at the corporations set up and used by major Australian companies purely to undermine workers rights, and the corporate governance in this country that allows it. As usual, the workers are the first to be screwed over while CEOs etc continue in the life to which they are accustomed.

spektrum
23rd Apr 2020, 04:35

That is not the point. I always greeted swissport workers with a polite smile and the respect they deserved. Yes, they did work hard and I acknowledged that. Your hippie perceived right to feel good about yourself doesn't help the situation for the workers and the their futures.

It was a go at the corporations set up and used by major Australian companies purely to undermine workers rights, and the corporate governance in this country that allows it. As usual, the workers are the first to be screwed over while CEOs etc continue in the life to which they are accustomed.

What he said.

myturn
23rd Apr 2020, 05:37
gordonfvckingramsay

Would appear this turkey has a chip on both shoulders................

Paragraph377
23rd Apr 2020, 06:22
Is Rob ‘I love me’ Dalessio, ex VA, still at Swissport? If he is he will be pulling his last remaining hairs out! His Sister Elsa is Corporate at QF. Both love to ‘talk the talk’, but don’t expect them to ‘walk the walk’.

2020Balance
23rd Apr 2020, 06:33
Is Rob ‘I love me’ Dalessio, ex VA, still at Swissport? If he is he will be pulling his last remaining hairs out! His Sister Elsa is Corporate at QF. Both love to ‘talk the talk’, but don’t expect them to ‘walk the walk’.

Yep he still is. Regional manager or something. Risen right up the greasy pole just like at Va

PPRuNeUser0198
23rd Apr 2020, 11:55
He is the Senior Vice President for Pacific at Swissport...

myturn
23rd Apr 2020, 12:03
He's also a very hard working and very smart fella......... is bombing on such individuals making anyone feel any better here?

Paragraph377
23rd Apr 2020, 12:17
He's also a very hard working and very smart fella......... is bombing on such individuals making anyone feel any better here?
Hi Rob!!!!

myturn
23rd Apr 2020, 12:29
Really 377- you detective you!! ......... NO Im not him but I stand by my comments. Is shooting down individuals who you have no doubt never met really help the situation? Arguably very immature behaviour really.

Paragraph377
23rd Apr 2020, 12:36
Really 377- you detective you!! ......... NO Im not him but I stand by my comments. Is shooting down individuals who you have no doubt never met really help the situation? Arguably very immature behaviour really.
Muppet. You took the bait. Couldn’t really care whether you are him or not. ‘No doubt never met’’? Maybe. But then again, I do know a bit about him and his Sister don’t I....

2020Balance
23rd Apr 2020, 12:38

Yes. Hard working driving down the minimum wage, Workers sleeping on baggage room floors between split shifts etc. Para was saying

myturn
23rd Apr 2020, 12:47
Lets work this through 377.
Looks like I took the bait by suggesting that Im not him when I'm not 🤔. And turns out you dont now him when I suggested that might be the case 🤔. But hey you know a bit about him and now his sister?(no doubt she should be dragged into this) Not so sure Im the the muppet here mate ...... All extremely mature behaviour at such a time! Well played friend...............

Paragraph377
23rd Apr 2020, 12:50
Lets work this through 377.
Looks like I took the bait by suggesting that Im not him when I'm not 🤔. And turns out you dont now him when I suggested that might be the case 🤔. But hey you know a bit about him and now his sister?(no doubt she should be dragged into this) Not so sure Im the the muppet here mate ...... All extremely mature behaviour at such a time! Well played friend...............
Shhhhhhhhhhh

PoppaJo
23rd Apr 2020, 13:10
They were facing a large reduction in work already pre all this, as Tiger effectively were axing half its network, so axing half its Swissport work also, as they service the entire Tiger contract. They also do the majority of Virgin International work so that is high risk at the moment it seems.

On the the flip side, I guess higher chance they might gain a larger share of Virgin Domestic work when Virgin 2 Launches. The buyers of Virgin will want to know why they pay baggage loaders $30 an hour when they can get a contractor, Swissport, to do it for $20. As they already do it in a large chunk of the network, why not roll it out nationwide! The numbers will be attractive, and if it’s down to a case of doing it, to make Virgin a viable option vs shutting it, then so be it.

Are all their staff not Casual?

Popgun
23rd Apr 2020, 19:28
I don’t know anyone personally at Swissport.

I do know they are an organisation that seems motivated to underpay and overwork baggage handlers as evidenced by court rulings:

https://www.nationaltribune.com.au/twu-to-appeal-shambles-deal-for-workers-forced-to-sleep-at-airports/

We mightn’t have children being sent down coal mines anymore but here is yet another example of the dire need for unions and workplace legislation.

PG

blubak
23rd Apr 2020, 22:55
Perhaps it is more to highlight the lack of support provided by the govt to Ground Handlers whom provide a very large portion of staff to the Aviation Industry?
I would have thought the workers were covered by jobkeeper & would probably end up with more in their pockets each week than they are currently on.
This is another foreign company winning work by undercutting genuine local bids & then using whatever work conditions they can dream up to force on their workers to make their sham bid work.
The only place for outfits like this is outside the borders of australia & make sure they pay every cent of entitlements to their workers & every cent of tax they owe to the government before they depart on a 1 way trip.
Its time the companies in australia woke up to parasite overseas companies(there are many more) that tender & win work with unworkable finances & then want government support.

wheels_down
6th May 2020, 00:18
Dnata workers (Dubai owned) are not eligible now, so I assume these guys are not either.

Paragraph377
6th May 2020, 00:44
Has the Vice President of speaking ****e - Dalessio, been stood down also? It would be good as it would give him more time to work on his hair plugs.

regional_flyer
6th May 2020, 04:43
Dnata workers (Dubai owned) are not eligible now, so I assume these guys are not either.

Dnata has fallen victim a rule that makes companies 100% owned by a foreign government ineligible for the payment. Swissport, through HNA Group, may be 100% foreign owned but not 100% foreign government owned.

unobtanium
6th May 2020, 04:47
Its time the companies in australia woke up to parasite overseas companies(there are many more) that tender & win work with unworkable finances & then want government support.

I'm sure thats why qantas sent their best exec to oversee the shutdown and handover of Qcatering over to Dnata. Good job Sandra, qantas onboard food is better than ever before, love the microcookies.

Buster Hyman
6th May 2020, 04:48
Dnata has fallen victim a rule that makes companies 100% owned by a foreign government ineligible for the payment. Swissport, through HNA Group, may be 100% foreign owned but not 100% foreign government owned.
Well then, the Govt. can hand back all the Income Tax they paid. That should last a bit of time for them. A nasty can of worms this.

lc_461
6th May 2020, 05:49

I wonder how this will affect the local staff of foreign airlines operating in Australia? I suspect this loophole could catch a few...