PDA

View Full Version : European AOC with a Operational Base in the UK

21st Apr 2020, 09:45
Is it possible for a European AOC holder (outside of the UK) to have its operational base in the UK? Now or after the Brexit transition period?
I don’t seem to be able to find the answer on the UK CAA website.

Thanks a lot

Daifly
23rd Apr 2020, 10:30
Yes. Under what appears to be coming in the transition negotiations so far, EU AOC holders will be able to operate with the same level of access as at present, i.e. internal UK charter flights (which will then be seventh freedom in reality) so a UK base is theoretically possible (and in any case I doubt there would be any restriction to it - unless maybe you get into establishing offices, taxation, employment rights etc - but that is an overarching negotiation, not specifically aviation related).

It looks like the same for UK operators to operate intra-EU routes on charter will however not be the same and that is unfair to me.

Joe le Taxi
23rd Apr 2020, 10:43
But after the transition period, EU nationals would not get automatic right to move to, and work in the uk. Some UK residents have (non-uk) EASA licences, but not many, so a UK based easa operation with UK based crew may not be practical.

That said, I have already seen some (illegal) adverts for UK based cabin crews who must have permanent EU passports (not uk). Also, one can look at the semi permanent EU and UK basing of American freight crews to see how theory and practice can differ.

25th Apr 2020, 09:08
Thank you guys. So it still seems a bit grey at the moment.

The reason I’m asking is a European AOC holder has decided to base some of its aircraft in the UK (and is calling it operational base) and is asking some crew (cabin and not flight deck) to relocate to the UK under the UK payroll system and everything that goes with it (or they are out). This opereator has a sales office in London so they could be employed by the sales office. Similar to what Netjets Europe is doing with UK based crew.

So I’m trying to find out what the legality is to operate an aircraft officially from the UK while the aircraft is registered outside of the UK (Europe) and operated under a European, non-UK AOC.

Perhaps I should contact the UK CAA.