PDA

View Full Version : Carry On Cranwell

POBJOY
21st Apr 2020, 08:36
Isolation was brightened up last week with a rare showing of High Flight (1957) which had a thread here in 2012.
This film really has something for everyone (starting with the cast) who went on to well known productions ranging from TV, Bond films and Dads Army.
The Aviation buffs have plenty of scope with many (now closed Airfields) plus a wonderful selection of classic machines including the Piston Provost, Vampire, Hunter, and assorted kit parked in the background. Although quite 'Carry On' with the Cranwell parts (quite funny at times) the aerial formation footage is superb, with the Hunter bits (according to F K Mason) shot from a MK4 conversion WT 780.This machine had been modified as a FR version and was used for ongoing development work until 1964. However for me the low flying Provost (beat up) scenes are quite a gem, as this little beast of a machines with its wide fixed UC looks quite dramatic very low and fast doing all the naughty bits. Still available on DVD I suspect the Air Box were not that pleased with the Cranwell Cadet bits, but I bet the flying scenes were a great recruitment exercise.

Allan Lupton
21st Apr 2020, 10:38
Not trying to hijack your thread but "Talking Pictures TV" showed the 1952 film "The Sound Barrier" a couple of days ago. In my opinion that was an excellent interpretation of our industry at a time when several of its founding fathers were still around and in positions of responsibility.
A bit of suspension of disbelief was necessary to cope with the de Havilland Comet erecting shop at Hatfield standing in for Ridgefields and the heroine finding "JR" himself listening to the R/T of the fatal flight in Bill Mallon's office. JR's proper office was our Service Department by the time I knew it.
Since the Supermarine 535 which stood in for the Prometheus was not a Hatfield aeroplane, the aerodrome sequences were shot elsewhere.

JENKINS
21st Apr 2020, 10:44
At Chilbottom, I believe, quite close to moi.

sablatnic
21st Apr 2020, 10:48
"The Sound Barrier", was that the film featuring the Gloster Gormless?

longer ron
21st Apr 2020, 10:56
Since the Supermarine 535 which stood in for the Prometheus was not a Hatfield aeroplane, the aerodrome sequences were shot elsewhere.

Mostly shot at Chilbolton - some lovely little scenes with a couple of rare A/C sightings (inc Sea Otter in Hangar)

I havent seen the film for a couple of years but ISTR that they use the 'Glassjar' call sign in the film which was the Supermarine radio c/s.

RedhillPhil
21st Apr 2020, 11:18
Ah memories. Pa was stationed at Leuchars when the film was made.

chevvron
21st Apr 2020, 12:18
The Supermarine flight shed at Chilbolton still exists next to a T2 on the south side of the airfield, otherwise most of the airfield has gone, the airstrip being about half a mile south east.
Was High Flight the one with Ray Milland as an instructor?

treadigraph
21st Apr 2020, 13:27
High Flight was Ray Milland - also Leslie Phillips and Bernard Lee (it says here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Flight_(film))). Never seen it, will keep an eye out...

Carry On Cranwell, now that would have been a glorious film!

POBJOY
21st Apr 2020, 13:31
Ah memories. Pa was stationed at Leuchars when the film was made.

Chivenor also features as does Wattisham, the then base for 111. The Hunter formation shots are excellent despite the 'Derwent moan' sound effects.
The 'flying saucer' through the window is pure Carry On complete with Leslie Phillips,but I would love to watch the 'Provost' bits again, they look very low even for a film.

treadigraph
21st Apr 2020, 13:34
The Gypsy Moths is on Sony Movies Classic (Freeview Ch50) 9pm tomorrow night (22/04); Skydiving romance movie starring a Howard DGA, Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr and Gene Hackman.

BEagle
21st Apr 2020, 13:51
At the 44:40-ish in High Flight, there is a shot of a single seat Vampire taking off - it was supposed to be Flt Cdt Winchester in a T11 having pretended not to hear the cancellation order. Not only does it clip the grass, but the height at which it overflew the camera was.....interesting!

XV490
21st Apr 2020, 16:23
Seems like the whole film is here for the watching of:
https://youtu.be/8l4byhJVA8o

meleagertoo
21st Apr 2020, 23:26
Little to choose between that and a Carry On film, same ridiculous cheesy 'plot', same cheesy script, same cheesy dialogue, same cheesy 'acting', same cheesy 'humour', even some of the same cheesy characters.
A few interesting bits of flying footage that could have been interesting were it not so dreadfully distorted to leaven the otherwise unrelenting torrent of ghastly, third-rate cheese, but overall .
Just awful.

Haraka
22nd Apr 2020, 08:45
It featured my later Cranwell Flight Commander's boots marching up and down. ( Mike Williamson 1968)

ShyTorque
22nd Apr 2020, 09:18
High Flight was Ray Milland - also Leslie Phillips and Bernard Lee (it says here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Flight_(film))). Never seen it, will keep an eye out...

Carry On Cranwell, now that would have been a glorious film!

"Ooh, missus!"

Kenneth Williams as Station Master...Sid James as the wily SWO, Barbara Windsor to get Beagle going.... :cool:

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
22nd Apr 2020, 09:38
I was a kid at Cranwell when this film was made. My Dad was working at Barkston Heath at the time. They used teenagers from the patch for the shots of being chased by the 'Invention'.

Aaron.

Union Jack
22nd Apr 2020, 09:49
Little to choose between that and a Carry On film, same ridiculous cheesy 'plot', same cheesy script, same cheesy dialogue, same cheesy 'acting', same cheesy 'humour', even some of the same cheesy characters.
A few interesting bits of flying footage that could have been interesting were it not so dreadfully distorted to leaven the otherwise unrelenting torrent of ghastly, third-rate cheese, but overall .
Just awful.

I think you might just have upset Wensleydale.....:=

Jack