PDA

View Full Version : Getting back after time out

invertedpancake
20th Apr 2020, 00:27
Hey everyone!

I have a PPL which I haven't exercised since 2014 before the transition to Part 61 and have gotten myself into a position now where I am able to start my CPL training. I've already gotten the ball rolling by studying each of the CPL subjects with Bob Tait's books and organising my medical but I was a little confused as to whether or not I had to transition to a Part 61 licence or if the transition was completed automatically. I've logged on to CASA self-service and it shows my PPL A as being active as well as a PPL A - Part 5 Record (both of which have the same date).

Apart from that, I was just curious if anyone had any general pointers or things to be aware of returning to flying after such a long period out since something tells me it's not like riding a bike (which I also haven't done in a while.....)

Any advice is really appreciated!

drpixie
20th Apr 2020, 03:47
Yes - you have to transition. Get it started now - "just" a couple of forms with copies of stuff you didn't know you needed - because it could take a while.

And check everything that comes back - almost everyone has had hiccoughs with their new license - missing qualifications, wrong codes, etc. They might seem like nothing now, but they can cause major hassle down the track.

propelled
20th Apr 2020, 05:29
hi there, i am currently in the process of doing something similar..
I hadn't used my PPL since 2012 - got my class 1 medical late last year to ensure I could qualify for a CPL.

I had to update my old PPL to the new Part 61 licence - it was about $25 and was relatively straight forward.
This will allow you to go for a flight review when you are ready. Yep, kinda like riding a bike from what I experienced. things came back to me surprisingly quick.

I have done a couple of revision flights with an instructor recently and feel confident of going for a flight review next.

Currently sitting all my CPL exams again as mine have time expired (completed most in 2009).. 3 down, 4 to go..
I found that re-studying all the theory books/air law has helped after being absent from flying. Doing your CPL subjects should help you out with getting current again also - especially reviewing air law etc..

All the best for getting back in the saddle!
Cheers,

Lookleft
20th Apr 2020, 06:29
There are thousands of airline pilots around the world who are thinking exactly the same thing.

invertedpancake
20th Apr 2020, 07:14
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to get all the transition stuff out of the way ASAP.

I had to update my old PPL to the new Part 61 licence - it was about $25 and was relatively straight forward.
This will allow you to go for a flight review when you are ready.
Cheers,

That's good to hear, am I right to assume you just had to fill out form 61-9TX (Recognition and Transfer CAR Part 5 Qualifications)? Also, I'm just curious did you run into any hurdles getting your ASIC again?. I was having a look at the application form and saw that they asked for a scan of your logbook to show currency as a means of demonstrating an operational need for an ASIC. If that is correct would it be best to do a revision flight then apply for the ASIC as there would be a recent entry in my logbook?

I have done a couple of revision flights with an instructor recently and feel confident of going for a flight review next.
Cheers,
Awesome, good luck with the flight review!

propelled
21st Apr 2020, 03:23
The form 61-9tx sounds familiar.. It was only when I applied for my ASIC that I was told i needed a valid part 61 licence to meet the operational need for the asic..
So once that form was lodged via email through CLARC, the new licence inserts were sent to me and the ASIC came a few weeks after..

So long as you can show the ASIC team that you have a valid part 61 licence, that will meet their operational needs requirement for asic issue.. I didn't have to send the asic team logbook info etc.. they confirmed with casa that i had the new part 61 licence and all was good..
So get the casa/part 61 form done first, then apply for your ASIC thereafter would be best..

All the best with it!

CFD
21st Apr 2020, 04:55
Agree with propelled. I had not flown since 2011 due to a medical issue but got it back October last year hence needed a part 61 licence. The process was very straight forward. I had to complete forms 61-9TX and 61-9PIC and the cost was 25 bucks. 7-10 days was the processing time last October. Also agree with the advice get the licence and then the ASIC, again this was the way I did it. I did not have to show copies of my logbook.... which to be honest would have last had a flight in 2011 so not a lot of use to them. Needed the ASIC to renew my ratings.
Good luck with it.