PDA

View Full Version : FTE Jerez v FTA Global

Coldkieran
17th Apr 2020, 19:55
Hi everyone, I’m currently studying A-levels and have been using my spare time during lockdown to research flight schools for getting my ATPL. I feel like I’ve narrowed it down to FTA Global and FTE Jerez, however obviously FTE is a bit more expensive (does include living costs however). Does anyone have any experience with either of the schools, or any recommendations for others? Is FTE worth the bit extra?

Groundloop
18th Apr 2020, 10:22
If the UK leaves EASA then FTE Jerez will probably train for an EASA licence and FTA for a UK CAA licence. Depends on where you think you could possibly work - and be able to work. Howevere no-one yet really knows how this Brexit thing will finally play out at the moment eg would licences be easily convertible or not. So should really wait and see at the moment until things become clearer - and how the industry recovers!

planesandthings
18th Apr 2020, 12:32
Historically FTE Jerez has been the slightly more open one of the big three training providers and did provide full accomodation and board at least until recently. Unlike L3 who now even charges for accommodation on top of the £93k course cost. FTA is good but for the price has not delivered graduates into hugely better position than modular.

That aside I agree with all the comments above, scrap anything you heard about pilot shortages, booming markets and global demand. It's gone and it may never be the same again. By all means look but don't even bother going for assessments of any kind until at least the end of the year. Schools will try and tell you that the market will boom immediately afterwards, but after so many of my friends, some very experienced have been made redundant in recent weeks I see no jobs for trainee pilots for a minimum of two to three years. You must ensure that you'll get a return on the end of this investment. Some that are qualifying now may never fly an airliner and could face bankruptcy for the debt they got into. You're young and you have time. Wait it out and consider a second career also. I hear Medicine is booming at the moment and you don't have to pay 150k for training! :8

pilotatlast
18th Apr 2020, 13:52
FTE Jerez every-time over FTA. FTA are second or even third tier, no airline tie ups, no APS MCC training device, no accommodation.

Not comparable.

18greens
18th Apr 2020, 21:37
FTE Jerez every-time over FTA. FTA are second or even third tier, no airline tie ups, no APS MCC training device, no accommodation.

Not comparable.
...but FTA is run out of an airfield that doesn’t have a 25kt crosswind all day long...check out the Levanter.

there are many factors to choosing a school, none of them are ideal

uncle dickie
19th Apr 2020, 12:32
...but FTA is run out of an airfield that doesn’t have a 25kt crosswind all day long...check out the Levanter.

there are many factors to choosing a school, none of them are ideal

18greens comment is misleading as it implies that significant crosswinds are a major factor. Nothing could be further from the truth.

A more careful scrutiny of XRY weather would reveal that the Levanter is essentially a summer event and yes it can inhibit basic flying from time to time.
In fact these conditions at GIB can be somewhat sporty!

If anything XRY from a training point of view could do with more gentle crosswinds to improve these necessary skills of the student pilots.

18greens
19th Apr 2020, 20:36
Sorry Uncle Dickie, I was trying to balance the views. perhaps too far, point taken. Crosswinds are great fun and I rather enjoy a sporty 20 kts, but when they exceed the aircraft limit... no fun to be had....:-(

To the OP, I was trying to say ”look around before you commit”, take references, visit the schools/clubs speak to the graduates, make the decision that suits your position

Also consider Modular as well as Integrated..

18greens comment is misleading as it implies that significant crosswinds are a major factor. Nothing could be further from the truth.

A more careful scrutiny of XRY weather would reveal that the Levanter is essentially a summer event and yes it can inhibit basic flying from time to time.
In fact these conditions at GIB can be somewhat sporty!

If anything XRY from a training point of view could do with more gentle crosswinds to improve these necessary skills of the student pilots.

Coldkieran
19th Apr 2020, 20:51
Thanks 18greens, I've been looking around and I'm definitely starting to think modular is the way forward. Cheaper and less up front costs given the current market, and the ability work to offset the cost, just seems better. I'm still thinking of doing the CPL/IR at FTE, it's more expensive than some modular schools I've seen but I'm hoping the airline connections and reputation will come in handy

Cistor
21st Apr 2020, 07:19

Not comparable.

This. And make sure you make a professional comparison between brochures and say... toilets within facilities. Some can be easily visited in one of the two schools quoted. Should say enough about the 2nd or 3rd tier. :)