PDA

View Full Version : Cometh the hour, cometh the man

NutLoose
16th Apr 2020, 18:10
And I cannot think of anyone who deserves it more....
He Maybe 100, but he deserves a knighthood.

https://www.change.org/p/war-hero-tom-moore-aged-99-to-be-knighted-captaintommoore

1.3VStall
16th Apr 2020, 20:08
Absolutely! If a tw@t like Ian Duncan-Smith can be knighted (what for?) then we can certainly afford to honour this wonderful old gentleman. The sooner, the better, we could all do with cheering up at the moment!

Tankertrashnav
17th Apr 2020, 00:17
Would be nice but I think Captain Tom ought to be sounded out first. At his age he might well not want to be arsed with all the attendant palaver. If he is up for it I think it would be a great idea. Btw why single out IDS? At his level in politics a K pretty well comes with the job. Also does anyone else think it is funny that a Tory PM is plain old Mr Johnson (or more usually just "Boris") but the Labour leader of the opposition is Sir Keir Starmer? :)

Islandlad
17th Apr 2020, 02:08
Would be nice but I think Captain Tom ought to be sounded out first. At his age he might well not want to be arsed with all the attendant palaver. If he is up for it I think it would be a great idea.
Agree. They are easy to dish out.
There should be quite a few others in the line with him.

I give you Dr John Campbell. A reassuring YouTube voice in this time of worry and misinformation.

Any others?

Btw why single out IDS? At his level in politics a K pretty well comes with the job.
Because he's not too pro China?

Also does anyone else think it is funny that a Tory aPM is plain old Mr Johnson (or more usually just "Boris") but the Labour leader of the opposition is Sir Keir Starmer? :)
The Tories have had all sorts of leaders. Boris has spent a long time becoming 'Boris' avoiding Ks etc. He was always looking to the bigger prize. He will take his Peerage later.

As for Keir, he had probably given up on the idea of very high office, so took the K. His current role may be a bit of a surprise to him; rather like his namesake.
​​​​​​

NutLoose
17th Apr 2020, 09:05
Passed the £21 million mark this morning..

Total raised £18,090,672.88 + £3,388,862.73 Gift Aid

Asturias56
17th Apr 2020, 09:09
Now this is what the Honours System is for - and they shouldn't take a year kicking it about in a Committee either..........

DODGYOLDFART
17th Apr 2020, 09:16
Queens Birthday Honours only just a month away. A great opportunity to slip an extra something special in for Captain Tom I would have thought?

charliegolf
17th Apr 2020, 09:27
MSN reporting that 'the Government' is looking at ways Capt Moore 'might be honoured'.

CG

MPN11
17th Apr 2020, 10:14
Great respect for what Capt Tom was doing, with his modest aspirations.

However, I try to curb my enthusiasm for an Honour. What he did was a 'good thing', but in normal times barely deserving of much more that a paragraph or two in the local papers.

The fantastic sum raised is, surely, just a manifestation of people jumping on the band-wagon, seeing an easy way to support the NHS etc. and assisted by massive Media coverage. In that context, the honour lies with all those who have donated, in some cases VERY generously.

I anticipate incoming.

Herod
17th Apr 2020, 10:20
How about a back-dated promotion? It would give us an excuse to play David Bowie. Seriously, well done that man.,

Dan Gerous
17th Apr 2020, 10:21
He even got a cynical bstd like me to contribute, so he must be doing something right. I would like to say to him, give it a rest and take a day off. He's been on the telly almost every day now, and his daughter seems to be switched on, but give the guy a break. I'm sure we'd all like to see him reach his hundredth, and maybe Liz will slip a fiver in with his card.:ok:

Geordie_Expat
17th Apr 2020, 11:39
Ye Gods, there are some weird folk on this site. How in Hell did anyone manage to bring IDS into the subject, and politics in general !!! Save it for Jetblast. And yeah, lets not honour this amazing gentleman, after all, what has he done ? Unbelievable !!

bunta130
17th Apr 2020, 11:54
I'm with MPN on this one. Captain Tom has really captured public imagination, and has proved himself to be a thoroughly good bloke. However, one event should not attract a knighthood......and I am also agin many who receive it under 'dodgy' cover (realising that my view is subjective). He has rightly been lauded by all and sundry, but let's leave it at that.

weemonkey
17th Apr 2020, 12:03
Perhaps he might just turn it down too.

He seems pretty switched on.

Asturias56
17th Apr 2020, 12:11
I'm with MPN on this one. Captain Tom has really captured public imagination, and has proved himself to be a thoroughly good bloke. However, one event should not attract a knighthood......and I am also agin many who receive it under 'dodgy' cover (realising that my view is subjective). He has rightly been lauded by all and sundry, but let's leave it at that.

I think Bunta is suffering from what they used to call "Knight Starvation" in the Civil Service.............. ;)

bunta130
17th Apr 2020, 12:35
I think Bunta is suffering from what they used to call "Knight Starvation" in the Civil Service.............. ;)

On the other hand, we could just dole them out like sweets........

Union Jack
17th Apr 2020, 14:04
MSN reporting that 'the Government' is looking at ways Capt Moore 'might be honoured'.

CG
Along with all the other men and women who are carrying out similar good works for their chosen form of charity, irrespective of their age? It's not always only a matter of the amount of money raised, although I readily accept that Captain Tom's great efforts and consequent recognition have clearly caught the British public's attention, largely through the media. I'm with MPN11.

Jack

MPN11
17th Apr 2020, 14:10
In other obscured news, there’s a 90+ woman trying to ‘reach’ the summit of some Scottish peak by climbing her stairs (assisted by her walking stick) to reach the equivalent height. I doubt she’ll raise millions, bless her.

Asturias56
17th Apr 2020, 15:59
On the other hand, we could just dole them out like sweets........

Well I suspect £12 mm for the NHS is a bigger contribution than spending 30 years in some mediocre civil Service job

bunta130
17th Apr 2020, 17:17
Well I suspect £12 mm for the NHS is a bigger contribution than spending 30 years in some mediocre civil Service job

You seems to have a bit of a downer on Civil Servants. I'm not aware of that many who have knighthoods for mediocre jobs.

MPN11
17th Apr 2020, 18:07
Ahem ... let’s not go there, eh?

ISTR a fair few 2/3/4* Military get State Honours too ... as do cricketers, footballers and Media luvvies. The system is what it is, with all the imperfections of a human-invented pecking order, which is why my MBE didn’t arrive in the post.

NutLoose
18th Apr 2020, 00:39
I look upon it as you give the likes of Seb Coe a knighthood and later a Lordship for running at the peak of his physical fitness whilst being well paid for it..... The same goes for cricketers, rowers, athletes, footballers etc..

Now weigh that against someone at the opposite end of the spectrum who has taken on this task for no reward to himself, but in the hope that he can help those that need our support at this time of crisis..

Now which is the better man / woman. I know my choice.

spitfirek5054
18th Apr 2020, 07:57
I look upon it as you give the likes of Seb Coe a knighthood and later a Lordship for running at the peak of his physical fitness whilst being well paid for it..... The same goes for cricketers, rowers, athletes, footballers etc..

Now weigh that against someone at the opposite end of the spectrum who has taken on this task for no reward to himself, but in the hope that he can help those that need our support at this time of crisis..

Now which is the better man / woman. I know my choice.

Gets my vote as well

Asturias56
18th Apr 2020, 08:31
Ahem ... let’s not go there, eh?

ISTR a fair few 2/3/4* Military get State Honours too ... as do cricketers, footballers and Media luvvies. The system is what it is, with all the imperfections of a human-invented pecking order, which is why my MBE didn’t arrive in the post.
"which is why my MBE didn’t arrive in the post."

Mine neither............ and me a (reasonably) regular tax payer 'n all........... ;)

Union Jack
18th Apr 2020, 17:52
"which is why my MBE didn’t arrive in the post."

Mine neither............ and me a (reasonably) regular tax payer 'n all........... ;)

And not forgetting the very different criteria between the procedures for the Civil and Military Lists. I also suspect that MPN11 is being modest....:)

Jack

DCThumb
18th Apr 2020, 19:54
Now this is what the Honours System is for - and they shouldn't take a year kicking it about in a Committee either..........

Nor for running a Station (i.e. doing your job)/Sqn/Command.

NutLoose
19th Apr 2020, 03:17
Over 30 million now, :E Total raised. £25,419,820.55. + £4,820,081.36 Gift Aid

Asturias56
19th Apr 2020, 09:01
A Knighthood for "political services" (ie financing a political party) costs around £ 5 mm I understand

So maybe we give Tom a K with 5 bars...................

oldmansquipper
19th Apr 2020, 09:54
There will probably be a K for whoever thought up the self funding green ‘carers’ badge (£8:99?) and one for Gary Lineker for donating a couple of weeks inflated Beeb wages....

Wensleydale
19th Apr 2020, 10:15
Perhaps a knighthood is not appropriate for a man of such advanced years when something a bit more permanent is needed. Why not name the hospital where he had his hip surgery after him? After all - it was because of his treatment at this hospital that he started his money raising campaign. "Captain Tom's" has a good ring to it!

treadigraph
19th Apr 2020, 10:27
Telegraph reports that Peter Monk hopes to be permitted to give Tom Moore a Spitfire birthday flyby on 30th April and a ride in a two seater later in the year when things calm down.

Herod
19th Apr 2020, 11:02
I have to agree with Wensleydale.

Asturias56
19th Apr 2020, 11:53
I have to agree with Wensleydale.
:ok: best suggestion so far

MPN11
20th Apr 2020, 08:49
I like Wensleydale's idea too. :ok:

NutLoose
20th Apr 2020, 13:57
32 Million so far..

Total raised £26,963,200.49 + £5,113,092.03 Gift Aid

Imagegear
20th Apr 2020, 14:32
I would like to propose that Just Giving waive their not inconsiderable cut of this collection as a gesture of solidarity.

IG

ORAC
27th Apr 2020, 10:19
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1274230/captain-tom-Moore-nhs-queen-birthday-royal-mail-stamps-raf-charity-captain-tom-moore-birth

Queen prepares special birthday tribute to heroic Captain Tom Moore - 'Will be emotional'

The 99-year-old has nearly raised £30million for the NHS by walking laps of his garden in Bedfordshire garden. Captain Tom Moore will also be honoured with an RAF flypast, as well as receiving a personalised telegram from the Queen to mark his 100th birthday.

Producers at BBC Breakfast have worked alongside Buckingham Palace to organise the celebrations to mark the war hero's big day on Thursday.Tom - who currently holds the UK No1 single, for his joint song with Michael Ball and NHS heroes - will have the entire programme dedicated to his life and achievements.

The team at BBC Breakfast have been working closely with the palace, organising the telegram in time for the morning broadcast, which they hope will come with a special message from Her Majesty. They have also been working hard on organising a fly past which will honour Tom's service to the country throughout his life.

A TV insider told The Sun: “It's going to be a really emotional day and they want to make it as memorable as possible for Tom by way of thanks for all he has done. They're lining up lots of surprises for him too. What Tom has achieved is the most incredible feat and the whole show will be dedicated to Tom and his special day.”

Richard Frediani, editor of BBC Breakfast, said plans still need to be confirmed, adding: “Having followed Captain Tom's incredible story from the start the UK's most watched morning show will make sure the nation can safely come together to celebrate Captain Tom's 100th birthday on Thursday morning on BBC Breakfast.”......

Flugplatz
27th Apr 2020, 17:17
The honours system is always a bit of a mixed bag... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/06/david-cameron-barber-mbe-services-hairdressing

Wensleydale
27th Apr 2020, 22:05
The honours system is always a bit of a mixed bag... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/06/david-cameron-barber-mbe-services-hairdressing

Matches the Iron Cross awarded to Herr Flick?

pr00ne
28th Apr 2020, 14:06
Delighted to see that he is to be honoured by an RAF flypast.

Good call decision makers.

Finningley Boy
28th Apr 2020, 20:43
Delighted to see that he is to be honoured by an RAF flypast.

Good call decision makers.
Indeed!

FB

Asturias56
29th Apr 2020, 06:23
Although the Dept of Transport were all set to stop the Fly Past as "unnecessary"

superplum
29th Apr 2020, 08:32
Although the Dept of Transport were all set to stop the Fly Past as "unnecessary"

I think that decision related to a "civilian" Spitfire.

Asturias56
29th Apr 2020, 10:30
still -shows the mind-set and imagination at work..................... :(

NutLoose
29th Apr 2020, 11:29
I thought the Spit one was still going ahead but doing a circuit over some Hospitals instead, see

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/captain-tom-moore-birthday-spitfire-salute-flypast-cancelled-crowds-nhs-a9487251.html

Congrats to Captain Tom BTW

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/train-named-after-captain-tom/ar-BB13mBQE

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x400/1588159766_1267cace29b4a9dc9add2a6ecda3bbb89761fe60.jpeg

29th Apr 2020, 12:47
Well, considering it took him a long time to do the journey, standing all the time and for a lot of money - This is the perfect thing to name! :E

Cat Techie
29th Apr 2020, 23:27
Great respect for what Capt Tom was doing, with his modest aspirations.

However, I try to curb my enthusiasm for an Honour. What he did was a 'good thing', but in normal times barely deserving of much more that a paragraph or two in the local papers.

The fantastic sum raised is, surely, just a manifestation of people jumping on the band-wagon, seeing an easy way to support the NHS etc. and assisted by massive Media coverage. In that context, the honour lies with all those who have donated, in some cases VERY generously.

I anticipate incoming.

I totally agree with your comments and I made a fair donation. He is a symbol and put effort into something that is not easy for a person of that age. I wish him happy birthday tomorrow, He will get the card, and hopefully Disco and Co have decent weather to do a flypast.

Lantern10
30th Apr 2020, 01:20
I'll raise a well deserved glass to him tonight. What a wonderful effort. Happy birthday Tom.

Surplus
30th Apr 2020, 02:07
It looks like they're going to have to repaint the train.
Happy Birthday, Colonel Tom Moore.

Union Jack
30th Apr 2020, 08:51
It looks like they're going to have to repaint the train.
Happy Birthday, Colonel Tom Moore.

Happy birthday indeed, and not one but two locomotives and no, not Thomas the Tank Engine....

Jack

XV490
30th Apr 2020, 09:10
I was glad to see the BBC run a piece about the Burma Campaign this morning. Captain Tom, of course, is among the few Burma Star holders still alive, and by all accounts got down and dirty amid the difficult conditions in theatre.

unclenelli
30th Apr 2020, 12:47
ITV are planning a 30-min documentary on 8th May (time TBC) on Captain Tom's War.

Captain Toms' Wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Moore_(fundraiser)) contains links at the bottom to view the music and JustGiving.

Tomorrow Will Be A Good Day

Tankertrashnav
30th Apr 2020, 17:09
He may not have got a knighthood (yet) but I see that Colonel Tom has added the Defence Medal to his now familiar group of three, including his Burma Star. He was wearing it on his lapel separately above his other medals today. I am wondering if somebody has worked out that his service entitled him to this medal and got him one, not a difficult task as they are unnamed, and can be picked up easily for about £10 - £12. Not sure what the one he is wearing on his right breast is, one of those unofficial ones that have proliferated in recent years, I guess. *

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52472132

(Scroll down to the picture of Tom with his birthday card from HM)

*Thanks for the info, Ex Ascoteer - a more prestigious award than the unofficial medal that I guessed it was

ExAscoteer2
30th Apr 2020, 17:29
His Defence medal was presented to him by the Colonel of the Yorkshire Regt.

The other medal is, apparently, the Yorkshire Regimental Medal - Hon Col Tom was a member of the Duke of Boots Regt which became the Yorkshire Regt.

unclenelli
30th Apr 2020, 18:55
After hearing he was listening in to the BBMF Air/Grd comms, from the Second Best Covers thread on Jet Blast of Chris Hadfield on ISS, I've had an ear-worm all day:

This is Ground Control to Colonel Tom
You've really made the grade......

unclenelli
30th Apr 2020, 19:33
The Medal Office noticed it was absent, so he got it awarded, he just hasn't had chance to get it mounted yet (his existing 3 are swing-mounted).

Anyone know of a mounting service that can get it done by next Friday (VE Day)???

Tankertrashnav
30th Apr 2020, 23:26
I have used these people for many years - they are totally reliable, and I am sure that in the circumstances they would put his medals to the top of the queue and get them back to him Special Delivery

https://www.worcmedals.com/Naval-GSM-Persian-Gulf-1909-1914

Incidentally you mention the fact that they are currently swing mounted, which is quite correct for medals of this period. I often see older groups which have been remounted court style and to me it just looks wrong, so I hope that doesn't happen to these, whoever does them

megan
1st May 2020, 01:25
Disappointed to see our national newspaper reporting "RAF Captain Tom Moore". Guess I should be happy they got his rank and name correct. Great to see how his efforts are being rewarded, an immense amount of donations. Bravo Zulu.

XV490
1st May 2020, 08:22
Disappointed to see our national newspaper reporting "RAF Captain Tom Moore". Guess I should be happy they got his rank and name correct. Great to see how his efforts are being rewarded, an immense amount of donations. Bravo Zulu.

Apropos of which I did wonder yesterday if topping off his cake with a 'Spitfire' was a brilliant idea. Full kudos to the BBMF for the flypast, but the man was an army officer. So I'm not surprised that an otherwise well meaning young hack gets it wrong.

ExAscoteer2
1st May 2020, 18:05
Apparently the Yorkshire Regimental Medal is awarded to the individual in the Yorkshire Regiment family who is considered to have made the greatest contribution in the last year.

unclenelli
2nd May 2020, 15:31
I have used these people for many years - they are totally reliable, and I am sure that in the circumstances they would put his medals to the top of the queue and get them back to him Special Delivery

https://www.worcmedals.com/Naval-GSM-Persian-Gulf-1909-1914

Incidentally you mention the fact that they are currently swing mounted, which is quite correct for medals of this period. I often see older groups which have been remounted court style and to me it just looks wrong, so I hope that doesn't happen to these, whoever does them

Court mounting is to ensure they don't clink together at funerals. Each medal is stitched to the backboard.

Tankertrashnav
2nd May 2020, 17:27
I have been involved in medal mounting for many years so I do know the rationale behind court mounting, and how it is done. Medals on larger groups need to be overlapped to avoid them becoming ridiculously wide (think Kenny Everett's US general), but a group of four like Colonel Tom's should be mounted side by side, thus there is little risk of the medals being damaged by clinking together, at funerals or anywhere else. My point was that until the late 20th century it was normal practice for medals to be mounted swing style, so to see a WW2 vintage group court mounted just looks wrong to me. Nothing to stop retired individuals mounting their medals according to their own tastes, but I do prefer to see the old style.

ExAscoteer2
2nd May 2020, 18:18
I disagree.

My late Father had the 39/45 Star, France and Germany Star, War Medal, Defence Medal and the Air Efficiency award (with 2 bars). He had them swing mounted right up until he got his MBE, at which point they were Court Mounted.

IMO Court Mounted medals look FAR better.

Wensleydale
2nd May 2020, 22:47
I always had my medals court mounted - unfortunately, when I received my Iraq medal and had it mounted, because it has an attached clasp it does not sit flat with the Afghanistan medal next to it - the two together are just too wide to fit properly on the ribbon.. As a result, it has been left loose to hang over the other medals. Not a good look, and now wish that they had been swing mounted.

unclenelli
3rd May 2020, 16:55
I have been involved in medal mounting for many years so I do know the rationale behind court mounting, and how it is done. Medals on larger groups need to be overlapped to avoid them becoming ridiculously wide (think Kenny Everett's US general), but a group of four like Colonel Tom's should be mounted side by side, thus there is little risk of the medals being damaged by clinking together, at funerals or anywhere else. My point was that until the late 20th century it was normal practice for medals to be mounted swing style, so to see a WW2 vintage group court mounted just looks wrong to me. Nothing to stop retired individuals mounting their medals according to their own tastes, but I do prefer to see the old style.

UK Ribbons are 4-wide, then a new row, medals are 5-wide, than start overlapping.
Check out this fella!!!!

Although a lot of his RHS are foreign and gizzits, you CANNOT accuse him of being a Walt due the the Far Left Aussie VC!!!!
WO Keith Payne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Payne)

They may not be officially authorised, but he still earned evey one of them!

unclenelli
3rd May 2020, 17:04
I always had my medals court mounted - unfortunately, when I received my Iraq medal and had it mounted, because it has an attached clasp it does not sit flat with the Afghanistan medal next to it - the two together are just too wide to fit properly on the ribbon.. As a result, it has been left loose to hang over the other medals. Not a good look, and now wish that they had been swing mounted.

Mine clash similarly (mini's less so as the clasp has been raised up the ribbon).
Consider getting some duplicates, it's your choice as to which set you get court or swing mounted, it'll only make a difference to your dependents after your demise.... (2 sets, one engraved, one not)
Prob under £100.
But as long as you can document the provenence of them, then both sets add value!

unclenelli
6th May 2020, 13:24
And now a Gold Blue Peter Badge too!

Asturias56
6th May 2020, 16:56
And now a Gold Blue Peter Badge too!

There is nothing left to give the man!!!!

unclenelli
11th May 2020, 15:46
There is nothing left to give the man!!!!
Freedom of Keighley & The City Of London!
(So he can herd livestock through Keighley and march on London with Bayonet Fixed!)

NutLoose
11th May 2020, 16:54
Err, he gets the Freedom of London tomorrow!

better start sharpening that bayonet.

steamchicken
11th May 2020, 19:45
So you mean he has to wait for the more meaningful honour?

NutLoose
11th May 2020, 21:45
Sadly it appears so.

Senior Pilot
11th May 2020, 22:34
Err, he gets the Freedom of London tomorrow!

better start sharpening that bayonet.

Freemen of the City of London have the privilege of driving their sheep across London Bridge; not sure about bayonets though? A Freeman is privileged to carry an unsheathed sword, maybe unclenelli mixed up that tradition: but the one no one really wants is to be hanged with silk instead of a knotted rope!

Also Freemen vote for the Lord Mayor of London :ok:

NutLoose
12th May 2020, 13:43
A Freeman is privileged to carry an unsheathed sword

I can see him hitting it off with the armed response unit trying that one out..

unclenelli
14th May 2020, 14:00
Snr Pilot
Having paraded in Lincoln, Oxford & Peterborough for their Freedoms, the Military are allowed to parade with automatic rifles with bayonets attached.

Dominoe
19th May 2020, 22:05
According to the BBC department of leaks it is Congratulations to Capt Tom Moore on your well deserved Knighthood.
However, I am still of the mindset that Captain Eric Winkle Brown also deserved a very well earned Knighthood. (And thats from an ex Crab as well!). it just goes to show the power of publicity.
Gone but not forgotten. Just saying.

Union Jack
19th May 2020, 22:05
Arise, Sir Tom! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52732300

Jack

NutLoose
19th May 2020, 22:27
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant news, just came on to post it myself.

unclenelli
20th May 2020, 02:18
Excellent News!

Now Lizzie just needs to find a 6ft sword....!

Fly3
20th May 2020, 03:50
Wholeheartedly agree. Both much more deserving than the usual Luvvies and politicians who get it.

Islandlad
20th May 2020, 04:27
According to the BBC department of leaks it is Congratulations to Capt Tom Moore on your well deserved Knighthood.
However, I am still of the mindset that Captain Eric Winkle Brown also deserved a very well earned Knighthood. (And thats from an ex Crab as well!). it just goes to show the power of publicity.
Gone but not forgotten. Just saying.
Tom Moore has got swept along in the publicity of the day. Chuck him one from all of us, for all of us.

Wholeheartedly agree. Both much more deserving than the usual Luvvies and politicians who get it.

Sir Eric Winkle Brown? No. Don't lower him to celeb statut please. They were all better than that. The ones who died and the ones who lived to write their books.

NutLoose
20th May 2020, 08:55
Excellent News!

Now Lizzie just needs to find a 6ft sword....!

She could of course pop round his house and do it through the letterbox.

unclenelli
20th May 2020, 16:58
She could of course pop round his house and do it through the letterbox.
She could have an ear off!!!!!!!
or worse, the first regal beheading since 1542!

Tashengurt
20th May 2020, 18:09
Why not, after all if you look up Zeitgeist in the Oxford English dictionary, there's probably a picture of Captain Tom.

I do think Winkle should've got one though.

mopardave
20th May 2020, 21:54
Freedom of Keighley & The City Of London!
(So he can herd livestock through Keighley and march on London with Bayonet Fixed!)
Hmmmm....the freedom of Keighley. Don't bother Sir Tom!

NutLoose
15th Jul 2020, 10:09
Good new, the Queen will personally knight him at Windsor.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/capt-sir-tom-moore-to-be-knighted-by-queen-at-windsor-castle/ar-BB16KYXc

charliegolf
17th Jul 2020, 14:32
Good new, the Queen will personally knight him at Windsor.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/capt-sir-tom-moore-to-be-knighted-by-queen-at-windsor-castle/ar-BB16KYXc

Man's a failure- was supposed to raise £1000! Got that wrong didn't he!:ok:

Her Maj had a lovely long chat too- good on her.

CG

ORAC
17th Jul 2020, 17:49
https://twitter.com/ruthdavidsonmsp/status/1284147764864188416?s=21

ORAC
17th Jul 2020, 17:52
https://twitter.com/independent/status/1284167227030167552?s=21

TWT
17th Jul 2020, 20:27
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/622x426/tom_moore_1d69f82eabad18cc7e3bffb0e2b04605e25148fa.jpg
Picture: Chris Jackson
nnnnn
nnnnn
nnnnn

Asturias56
18th Jul 2020, 17:04
and he wouldn't tell the slavering press what she said

NutLoose
11th Sep 2020, 09:51
Good to see him taking his appointment seriously.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x400/1599817895_cf7f31c990c54e0cfcd75516685cad8a3080b7c1.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-world-is-your-oyster-sir-tom-s-inspirational-message-to-graduating-teen-soldiers/ar-BB18Unp4?ocid=msedgdhp

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2021, 16:48
RIP Captain Sir Tom, you were an inspiration to us all.

Bksmithca
3rd Feb 2021, 00:00
Capt Sir Thomas Moore
Canadian news are reporting he has passed due to covid. Outstanding Gentleman Rest in Peace

Asturias56
3rd Feb 2021, 07:53
Not given to many to do so much good at 100 years old - an inspiration - and the best advert for the UK Armed Forces in generations

Ken Scott
3rd Feb 2021, 09:53
The death of a centenarian with pneumonia is sadly no surprise, with or without COVID. Yet from the moment I heard he was in hospital I had a horrible sick feeling and an anxious few hours awaiting the inevitable bad news. I hoped he would pull through however unlikely that was as an outcome. I think this shows the measure of the man.

He had a remarkable final year which few of his generation could have expected. I hope the end was peaceful, all any of us can ever really hope for.

RIP, Sir.

The AvgasDinosaur
3rd Feb 2021, 13:08
RIP Sir, Enemies foreign and domestic couldn’t destroy your beautiful spirit, but this cynical disease has robbed us of your inspirational presence. At peace with your comrades now, rest easy Sir your duty is completed.
David

BEagle
3rd Feb 2021, 16:21
Boris Johnson is encouraging the nation to join in with a national clap for Captain Sir Tom Moore and healthcare workers this evening (3 Feb 2021).

Views? Personally I think that something rather more dignified would be appropriate.

Asturias56
3rd Feb 2021, 16:54
"but this cynical disease" - CYNICAL? It's disease, that's all - it doesn't have a personality, nor a plan, nor does it "put up a fight" - it just exists

ExAscoteer2
3rd Feb 2021, 17:26
Blue Skies Sir.

2 TWU
3rd Feb 2021, 18:58
Seems to be a lot of dust in the air today. Blue Skies Sir.

NutLoose
27th Feb 2021, 10:25
It appears the funeral attended by 8 family members is going to be a bit different and well deserved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-56212135

Asturias56
27th Feb 2021, 11:47
BBC running pics of the BOBF Dakota doing a flyover

NutLoose
27th Feb 2021, 11:48
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56221574

NutLoose
27th Feb 2021, 13:57
Film, Dakota timed to perfection, over flown as the coffin arrived at the doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-56212135

Ken Scott
27th Feb 2021, 15:09
Given the numbers of additional people at this funeral - army personnel, all the reporters & camera crews - is it a little ridiculous that only 8 family mourners were permitted?

Wensleydale
27th Feb 2021, 15:22
Given the numbers of additional people at this funeral - army personnel, all the reporters & camera crews - is it a little ridiculous that only 8 family mourners were permitted?

30 people are permitted for funerals at the moment (I know - I've been to two recently). There will be a more public memorial service when his ashes will be interned with his parents in Keighley, Yorkshire once the lockdown rules permit. His family wished this to be close family only - hence only 8 people there.

Asturias56
28th Feb 2021, 07:14
"all the reporters & camera crews " not "people" in the generally accepted use of the word

Ken Scott
28th Feb 2021, 07:24
30 people are permitted for funerals at the moment (I know - I've been to two recently). There will be a more public memorial service when his ashes will be interned with his parents in Keighley, Yorkshire once the lockdown rules permit. His family wished this to be close family only - hence only 8 people there.

Thanks, Wensleydale, I’d hadn’t noticed this change.