PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS subsidised flights

markontop
13th Apr 2020, 01:31
With much fanfare it was announced by Canberra repatriation flights.
Why have the QF29 not left at all yet? Cancelled on three occasions.

f1yhigh
13th Apr 2020, 01:38
It is my understanding that they have cancelled the flights due to the government’s decision to remove the quarantine exemption for operating crew and there will be additional safety precautions in place for any repatriation flights. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

normanton
13th Apr 2020, 01:47
^^

What he said. Email from the chief pilot stated cancelled last minute due to the removal of 14 day crew exemption. Qantas might have a hard time finding the crew to do them. It's already an issue with the cabin crew.

GusTS
13th Apr 2020, 02:40
Mark, unless I am misunderstanding something, it looks to me like QF29 departed 50 minutes before your post.

markontop
13th Apr 2020, 04:26
I stand corrected.
Although it appears last two didn’t operate.

13th Apr 2020, 13:09
With a reported 1500 people in Perth looking for flights to other states in Oz, how come the airlines did not have aircraft and crews in Perth ready to do flights to the other States?

Everyone knew that these people would be coming out of quarantine in Perth. There most likely people are on the eastern states requiring travel to Perth.

A simple post on what every SM you choose stating that there would be a flight departing Sydney and Melbourne on ?? for Perth returning on ?? would have the seats full.

7 News had the next eastbound flight from Perth on the 24th April.

Unbelievable

halfmoon
13th Apr 2020, 18:58
Ok so just to clarify... international flight crew are required to quarantine for 14 days upon returning to Australia? OR self isolate for 14 days?

i have only found requirements to self isolate for up to 14 days or until your next trip.

the reason I ask is I’m an Australian citizen returning to Australia as a crew member in the next few days and have found no official documentation on a 14 day mandatory quarantine for crew members of Australian citizenship

Jetsbest
13th Apr 2020, 19:43
Try https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-self-quarantine-for-coronavirus-covid-19
👍🤔

halfmoon
13th Apr 2020, 19:49
Thanks,
I only see a requirement to self isolate for 14 days or until my next trip which I’m ok with because I can do this at home. I just don’t want to be quarantined in a hotel.

Jetsbest
13th Apr 2020, 21:18
...but the ‘new’ wrinkle for crew is that one can’t leave home.... for anything...(except emergencies) while quarantining.
Not exercise, not shopping, not visiting parents etc....
All the best!:O

compressor stall
13th Apr 2020, 22:46
That’s pretty poor document control from the government. I picked up on the changes last Friday, seeing the date had changed but little other obvious information.

Policy changes but no change bars on the 4 page document? There’s also some other cabin crew recommended practices that have changed. It’s a word for word comparison to pick through.

And as of last Friday Healthdirect.gov,au was saying no self isolation for flight crew but hadn’t been updated since March. Now it’s been updated and hasn’t changed. That’s pretty poor too.

73qanda
13th Apr 2020, 23:09
The information promulgation surrounding crew exemptions and requirements has been poor since February.

The Bullwinkle
14th Apr 2020, 04:09
With a reported 1500 people in Perth looking for flights to other states in Oz, how come the airlines did not have aircraft and crews in Perth ready to do flights to the other States?

Everyone knew that these people would be coming out of quarantine in Perth. There most likely people are on the eastern states requiring travel to Perth.

A simple post on what every SM you choose stating that there would be a flight departing Sydney and Melbourne on ?? for Perth returning on ?? would have the seats full.

7 News had the next eastbound flight from Perth on the 24th April.

Unbelievable
I don't really understand which part is unbelievable.
With all the various states changing their respective lockdown status on a daily basis, how on earth could airlines reliably forward plan?
Flying empty planes around will only make the airlines go broke faster.
So they take the only logical step available to stop burning through cash.
Governments (State and Federal) have put these travel restrictions in place so the only fair and reasonable thing would be for the various governments to subsidise the flying that they require until such time as the borders are open and traffic is freely flowing again.
Seems quite logical to me.

IsDon01
14th Apr 2020, 22:47
If this country ever needed a graphic demonstration of the stupidity of having state governments in a country of 25 million people we are getting it in spades.

This extra level of bone-headed bureaucrats is doing nothing to assist with this crisis. State police setting up road blocks at their respective borders all with their own set of state directives (on top of the federal ones) which they then apply in a haphazardly overreaching fashion that sees an 18 year old L-plater being fined for driving with a family member or a couple fined for posting happy snaps of photographs taken 12 months ago. How is this helping?

These ridiculous actions by state bureaucrats are doing nothing to help with the China virus situation in their games of oneupmanship to see which premier can deliver the most draconian set of restrictions. They make no sense, have a serious negative effect on the mental health and well-being of their citizens and costing a lot more in terms of the destruction of the economy and resulting in a lot more people unemployed than is necessary.

The only people I would like to see lose their jobs are every single one of our state bureaucrats from the premier down in every state of Australia. Run the whole show federally. Set up a single set of protocols for the whole country and enforce them from a common sense perspective.

I don’t know how long it will be before there is a serious backlash against this lockdown. A common sense approach is needed yesterday.

dr dre
15th Apr 2020, 02:36
If this country ever needed a graphic demonstration of the stupidity of having state governments in a country of 25 million people we are getting it in spades.

Maybe for those of you in a state with a useless government that has contributed to the crisis (cough Gladys cough).

Over here in WA I’ll take the much better handling of the crisis by our state government over the numpties in Canberra or Sydney anyday.

Pavement
15th Apr 2020, 02:52

This extra level of bone-headed bureaucrats is doing nothing to assist with this crisis. State police setting up road blocks at their respective borders all with their own set of state directives (on top of the federal ones) which they then apply in a haphazardly overreaching fashion that sees an 18 year old L-plater being fined for driving with a family member or a couple fined for posting happy snaps of photographs taken 12 months ago. How is this helping?

These ridiculous actions by state bureaucrats are doing nothing to help with the China virus situation in their games of oneupmanship to see which premier can deliver the most draconian set of restrictions. They make no sense, have a serious negative effect on the mental health and well-being of their citizens and costing a lot more in terms of the destruction of the economy and resulting in a lot more people unemployed than is necessary.

The only people I would like to see lose their jobs are every single one of our state bureaucrats from the premier down in every state of Australia. Run the whole show federally. Set up a single set of protocols for the whole country and enforce them from a common sense perspective.

I don’t know how long it will be before there is a serious backlash against this lockdown. A common sense approach is needed yesterday.

I agree. It seems that ‘state of emergency’ is being used to avoid scrutiny of decisions. At the very least there should be sunset clauses on the provisions enacted. As for the state border controls I would think that some might contravene the constitution or, at the very least, the spirit of the constitution.

As for the topic, to make my post relevant, the government should only be using foreign domiciled carriers as a last resort and paying over the odds for the local carriers. It’s also lunacy to allow domestic flights to pretty much disappear.

Stickshift3000
15th Apr 2020, 04:31
It seems that ‘state of emergency’ is being used to avoid scrutiny of decisions. At the very least there should be sunset clauses on the provisions enacted.

In Victoria, there is.

The orders last 4 weeks, and can be renewed after this 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 months.

Street garbage
15th Apr 2020, 07:30

Totally 100% in agreement, the sooner we have a referendum to abolish State Government (what do they look after? Education, Health? Such amazing success in those departments), the better. Imagine how many billions we would save if this occurred...

Going Boeing
15th Apr 2020, 08:06
Totally 100% in agreement, the sooner we have a referendum to abolish State Government (what do they look after? Education, Health? Such amazing success in those departments), the better. Imagine how many billions we would save if this occurred...

I totally agree that State Governments are no longer required but,unfortunately, the States have the power to veto a referendum so there is no way to remove this huge drain on public money.

IsDon01
15th Apr 2020, 08:16
I totally agree that State Governments are no longer required but,unfortunately, the States have the power to veto a referendum so there is no way to remove this huge drain on public money.

Yes, that’s unfortunately true.

The commonwealth exists at the behest of the states which is why we have so many parasitic politicians in this country.

rattman
15th Apr 2020, 21:11
In Victoria, there is.

The orders last 4 weeks, and can be renewed after this 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 months.

Same with qld the original had 4 week sunset clause, its now been extended via vote to 90 days

Pavement
15th Apr 2020, 22:11
Same with qld the original had 4 week sunset clause, its now been extended via vote to 90 days

The public health emergency has been extended with an end date of 19 May. However, the Border restrictions order (No.4) has no end date. I must admit that I don’t really know how all of these directions work. They may need the public health emergency to be active for them to be enforceable.

MelbourneFlyer
15th Apr 2020, 23:24
Apparently details of the Government subsidised domestic flights will be announced this morning.