PDA

View Full Version : DHC-82 operating costs?

lucille
12th Apr 2020, 23:16
For arguments sake, assume an optimistic 200 hours per annum and fully owned and lets say insured for $100K.

What would be a half way good guess of hourly operating costs?

What are the big ticket maintenance items? And big ticket fixed costs?

I’ve taken a Bex and I’m lying down, so fire away.

junior.VH-LFA
13th Apr 2020, 00:21
Gday mate,

Join the Antiquers, there’s a lot of Tiger guys who know all about them and maintain them.

Main thing with the Tiger is keeping its Gypsy Major running, not the cheapest engine to overhaul and burns a heap of oil!

Insurance about $3-4k, depending on experience and time.

Squawk7700
13th Apr 2020, 00:33
The thing in your favour is that 200 hours a year is VERY optimistic for a Tiger if you aren’t doing adventure flights.

kaz3g
13th Apr 2020, 01:25
The Antique Aeroplane Association Australia AAAA
https://www.antique-aeroplane.com.au/page-1596346

As Squawk says, AAAA is great source of information, spare parts and all round old aircraft fun. The guys at Maitland restore and operate a number of Tigers and are probably your closest place for hands on assistance, but Harvey McBain at Nelson in western Vic is a bit of a guru, too.

Estimated 200 hours pa suggests a syndicate or commercial use. Think about skid v tail wheel if the latter. Regardless, you will quickly prefer grass runways.. Factor in the need for a good hangar and get the fabric checked by a good rag man. Talk to Borg Sorensen at Tyabb about engine overhaul costs.

How much TW time do you have? This will impact insurance rates a lot.

Good luck

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Apr 2020, 02:38
Unless you are a LAME experienced in DH-82 aircraft, and therefore able to do the work required yourself.....NOT a 'good idea'.....

You don't say your location, but shop around the various owners / operators to enquire re the costs of maint.

Rotsa Ruck.....
Cheers

lucille
13th Apr 2020, 03:46
Thanks for all the advice. TW.. about 500+ DHC-2 hours but 40+ long years ago. I’m in SE Queensland not near any major airports. As soon as this China Virus debacle is over, I’ll go get recurrent in a TW.

This Tiger idea was just for myself, no syndicate, no commercial ops just me and a leather helmet for company.

Yes, my eagle eyed friends, that 200 hours number was indeed optimistic - I only suggested it so the big ticket items would look half the price at an hourly rate.

I do own an adjustable spanner and couple of rusty screw drivers and like tinkering and getting my hands dirty.....hence the idea of an older simple aircraft.

Meanwhile, Ill go check out AAAA. I should have done this first.

On balance an RV8 or similar might make a lot more sense, except it’s not an open cockpit and besides, better doesn’t always translate to more fun or satisfaction does it?

And why a TW? I like not being able to see where I’m taxying..it sort of adds more spice to the day. That, and the pathetically low crosswind limitation for the complete habanero experience.

cheers

(ps.. don’t get ya nickers in a knot re.. the adjustable spanner thing above .... I actually do have a Snap-On tool kit and I paid for all my flying lessons by being a hangar rat 45 years ago). I may be useless, but not completely so.

Vag277
13th Apr 2020, 04:54
Regardless of where it was built it is a DH 82a, not DHC. and it has a Gipsy Major engine. It is not a gypsy. If in SE Qld send me a pm for contacts for local experienced private operators. Have you any experience of tail skid and no brakes on hard surfaces?

roundsounds
13th Apr 2020, 05:15
Thanks for all the advice. TW.. about 500+ DHC-2 hours but 40+ long years ago. I’m in SE Queensland not near any major airports. As soon as this China Virus debacle is over, I’ll go get recurrent in a TW.

This Tiger idea was just for myself, no syndicate, no commercial ops just me and a leather helmet for company.

Yes, my eagle eyed friends, that 200 hours number was indeed optimistic - I only suggested it so the big ticket items would look half the price at an hourly rate.

I do own an adjustable spanner and couple of rusty screw drivers and like tinkering and getting my hands dirty.....hence the idea of an older simple aircraft.

Meanwhile, Ill go check out AAAA. I should have done this first.

On balance an RV8 or similar might make a lot more sense, except it’s not an open cockpit and besides, better doesn’t always translate to more fun or satisfaction does it?

And why a TW? I like not being able to see where I’m taxying..it sort of adds more spice to the day. That, and the pathetically low crosswind limitation for the complete habanero experience.

cheers

(ps.. don’t get ya nickers in a knot re.. the adjustable spanner thing above .... I actually do have a Snap-On tool kit and I paid for all my flying lessons by being a hangar rat 45 years ago). I may be useless, but not completely so.
have you considered a Cub? Cheaper to own/operate than a Tiger. Can fly with the door opened, but can close it too! Easier to push in / out of the shed and parts are readily available. I’ve got experience in both and would not consider owning a Tiger.
The J3 Cub can be registered in RAAus, self certified medical and by the sounds of your hangar rat background you could obtain a maintenance approval to do your own.

Runaway Gun
13th Apr 2020, 05:16
An RV-8 is a terrific aircraft, but worlds apart in terms of performance (and probably cost of purchase).

Have you considered anything slower, like an RA registered aircraft, or Piper Cub style?

aroa
13th Apr 2020, 07:30
You have the tools. Get an Auster and fix up. Some Mks can go RAAus. And isn’t the higher wt. limit to come soon.? Cheaper than Cubs. And if you rebuild/ restore, can maintain yrself

kaz3g
13th Apr 2020, 10:00
Get a J5 Auster with an 0-320 and enjoy the reliability and a bit more grunt.

lucille
13th Apr 2020, 11:44
OK... thanks for all the, advice. I now have an idea of where to look. And you’re right the Tiger is probably less than ideal.

aroa
13th Apr 2020, 23:59
Farcebook ; Auster Aeroplane Enthusiasts Downunder. Plenty of info and help available there.

Auster J2. "Arrow" . 2 seat trainer, 90 hp Continental. Crz 80 kts. A pensioners aircraft. Easy to push/pull in and out of the hangar. Can fly with the door off and keep yr head warm with the helmet (gives better sound protection and radio hearing too).
A J5 and 0-320...like fun but faster.

CAVOK92
14th Apr 2020, 10:10
DH-82’s are really just a nice weather weekend machine. Most people I know who have owned one would barely do 10-20 hours a year which will put your hourly rate up a bit. So I wouldn’t go doing the maths to closely as it typically isn’t easy convincing the master of war and finance to buy something that cost $1000 an hour to run :)

Centaurus
19th Apr 2020, 12:47
If you bite the bullet and buy a Tiger Moth then spend the extra few dollars and re-install the auto-slots on the leading edge of the top mainplanes. Most Tiger Moths now have the slots either permanently locked or removed completely.

While they only reduce the stalling speed by three knots and the final approach speed of 58 knots is unchanged, the great advantage of operating slots is the loud stall warning they give you with audible 'clacking' noise which you can't miss as you get close to the stall as they pop in and out. Forget the naysayers who claim they are costly in terms of maintenance. The slots are life-savers.

In the mid Fifties this scribe was an instructor on Tiger Moths in the RAAF. I can vouchsafe that Tiger Moth operating slots prevented potential stall/spin accidents and thus saved lives; especially with inexperienced student pilots flying them.

Re a tail-wheel replacing the tail skid. A pilot that used to sell joy flights in the Melbourne area claimed the brakes on the Tiger Moth were ineffective and basically never worked. My guess he couldn't afford or be bothered to have the brakes serviced regularly. .

Squawk7700
19th Apr 2020, 12:50
You won’t need to worry about the tail skid when you put it on floats. Come-on, you only live once !

lucille
19th Apr 2020, 19:13
I’ve been scared off the prospect of buying a Tiger. Thanks to everyone who took the time to inject some common sense into me.