PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Licence to EASA conversion

Jelico
12th Apr 2020, 09:52
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to find some clear information on the steps that are required to convert a foreign (in my case a New Zealand CPL) to an EASA licence. From what I can find so far, you have to go through the full 13 theory exams, plus pass a flight test. Additionally I believe you need to demonstrate competency in all types listed on your license,

But there seems to be ambiguity around how much flight training is required before you can sit the flight test as it seems to be experience based. I also cant find out anywhere if the exams can be sit remotely and if there is a time limit.

hueyracer
12th Apr 2020, 10:06
First, you will need to decide which country you want to choose for the conversion.

It's all EASA, but some interpret the regulations a bit differently from others... Plus flying time is cheaper in some...

Then, you will need to go through a flight school.
It's not possible to do this without a flight school.
The school will determine whether you require additional training, or if there is no training requirement due to your experience.

Best case, you only need to pass the exams, get a medical, and do a check flight in order to get the type rating on your easa license.

paco
12th Apr 2020, 15:52
I believe if you are current on an acceptable type (and have 500 hours) you don't need to do a full type rating course, just a proficiency check.

Jelico
12th Apr 2020, 21:02
Thanks for the help. My wife is German and pushing to spend some time there in a few years time. I am realistic about flying opportunities but thought if I can get the jump on things by banging out some of the exams early, it may make it worthwhile to convert the license on arrival to at least keep doors open. Appreciate the advice, I will touch base with some flying schools when the time comes. I did some flying a few years back with Heli Aviation in Augsburg but I think they are no longer flying.

hueyracer
13th Apr 2020, 05:11
Take my advice on this-do not try and get your license with the German CAA....

Plenty of pilots regretting their decisions dealing with those idiots.... While all other CAAs will try to find a way to make your thing work... The LBA will find ways to prevent you from getting what you want... Just trust me on this..

muermel
13th Apr 2020, 08:23
Take my advice on this-do not try and get your license with the German CAA....

Plenty of pilots regretting their decisions dealing with those idiots.... While all other CAAs will try to find a way to make your thing work... The LBA will find ways to prevent you from getting what you want... Just trust me on this..

Amen, second that. Got mine through the UK CAA but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore since they will be leaving EASA. Heard good things about Sweden, Scandinavian CAAs in general.