PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR

Challenger850
11th Apr 2020, 01:52
Hoping someone can help me with this one....

I have an FAA ATP with AMEL and an expired FAA medical. It was issued 6 years ago and since I have never exercised the privileges, I haven't completed an IPC or Flight Review.

I have at all times since issue met the Part 61.57 recent flight experience stipulations for my Instrument rating, albeit in a G reg aircraft, whilst not having a FAA medical and out of flight review. If I go and get my medical back and do a flight review am I still FAA instrument legit without doing an Instrument Prof check?

Really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction

Cheers

Booglebox
11th Apr 2020, 15:08
am I still FAA instrument legit without doing an Instrument Prof check?
Yes. An IPC is only required if you are not current as per 61.57(c).

340drvr
12th Apr 2020, 13:34
Yes. An IPC is only required if you are not current as per 61.57(c).
Agreed, that's what I was thinking, if you have the 6 approaches, etc. within 6 months, per 61.57(c) logged. However, after reviewing 61.57, if you are using airline employment and regular checkride(s) done in that capacity as the means to maintain currency, under the exceptions listed in 61.57(e), I don't think that would count, as it stipulates "....employed by Part 119 certificate holder under 121, or 135....etc."). Though absurd to think that a full checkride for airlines under any jurisdiction should not be equivalent, by the letter of the regs, it appears not so.
That said, if necessary, combining the IPC with a basic flight review shouldn't really add too much more to the flight time and expense required.