PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia drops to one SYD-MEL return flight per day

MelbourneFlyer
9th Apr 2020, 06:56
That's it. Just one SYD-MEL B737 flight each day, as of tomorrow. Won't even be a daily service, as it won't run on Saturdays.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/virgin-australia-axes-all-flights-except-one-daily-sydney-melbourne

wheels_down
9th Apr 2020, 07:15
Cathay flew just 600 people the other day across the entire network.

dr dre
9th Apr 2020, 07:21
Just to keep a handful of training pilots current probably

crosscutter
9th Apr 2020, 07:36
The airlines have been waiting for government advice regarding the network and frequency of air links they want. It seems either:
1. The government has decided there is no need for passenger travel and the airforce has the required capability when needed.
2. Virgin has not been asked to maintain capacity.

dr dre
9th Apr 2020, 08:43
:
1. The government has decided there is no need for passenger travel and the airforce has the required capability when needed.

Between legal implications of commercial pax on military flight, unfamiliarity with commercial boarding procedures, terminals, booking systems, safety procedures, freight handling, engineering, ground handling procedures and three dozen other things it’d take months of preparation for no real benefit when it’s far easier and cheaper to subsidise the current one operating now.

Ragnor
9th Apr 2020, 08:46
The airlines have been waiting for government advice regarding the network and frequency of air links they want. It seems either:
That is such a dumb comment.

Stuart Midgley
9th Apr 2020, 09:28
Keeping the AOC alive. Maybe pending a recapitalisation, reorganisation or (hopefully temporary) administration.

9th Apr 2020, 09:31
None of that stopped Bob Hawkes saving his best mates...

At least we won't get Catus this time.

regional_flyer
9th Apr 2020, 09:36
Between legal implications of commercial pax on military flight, unfamiliarity with commercial boarding procedures, terminals, booking systems, safety procedures, freight handling, engineering, ground handling procedures and three dozen other things it’d take months of preparation for no real benefit when it’s far easier and cheaper to subsidise the current one operating now.

I think you are misinterpreting the quoted post. It's saying that the government will utilise RAAF jets to fly the pollies around when needed in lieu of them taking a commercial flight. This is rather commonplace already. Not that they will use air force planes to fly around us common folk.

dr dre
9th Apr 2020, 09:40
I think you are misinterpreting the quoted post. It's saying that the government will utilise RAAF jets to fly the pollies around when needed in lieu of them taking a commercial flight. This is rather commonplace already. Not that they will use air force planes to fly around us common folk.

Still common folk travelling for compassionate reasons, medical, government, essential worker travel, FIFO, regional community support and freight as well. Plus hard with pollies spread all over the country to all get on a handful of RAAF jets at the same time to fly everywhere.

topend3
9th Apr 2020, 10:04
The decision makes perfect sense. VA know they have limited cash reserves so why keep flying loss making operations, better to give themselves the best possible hope of survival.

morno
9th Apr 2020, 10:14
Still common folk travelling for compassionate reasons, medical, government, essential worker travel, FIFO, regional community support and freight as well. Plus hard with pollies spread all over the country to all get on a handful of RAAF jets at the same time to fly everywhere.

Bring out some of those King Airs and do a milk run. Preferably different parties in the one aircraft :}

ABP
9th Apr 2020, 10:25
The decision makes perfect sense. VA know they have limited cash reserves so why keep flying loss making operations, better to give themselves the best possible hope of survival.

Qantas about to announce 1B737, 1A230 and 1DH8 operation too.
Edit (https://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=10744598)

wheels_down
9th Apr 2020, 10:27
So they only need 4 pilots active. 4 on 3 off roster.

Who are these people? Chief Pilot? Fleet Managers or something?

B772
9th Apr 2020, 10:56
601; I think you mean Cactus

Stationair8
9th Apr 2020, 11:34
Don’t forget the Aspro callsign.

ShandywithSugar
9th Apr 2020, 12:03

Is this information from a facebook comment posted to executive travelers article about the virgin announcement today ... Looks awfully similar.

Rio Tinto ports in the Pilbara added to QF 737 manuals.

ABP
9th Apr 2020, 12:36
Is this information from a facebook comment posted to executive travelers article about the virgin announcement today ... Looks awfully similar.

Rio Tinto ports in the Pilbara added to QF 737 manuals.
Nope, Joyce's mouth at the Town Hall conference call 8 April.

SandyPalms
9th Apr 2020, 12:48
Nope, Joyce's mouth at the Town Hall conference call.

So VA will operate 1 737 a day between Syd and Mel, and QF will operate 1 737, 1 A320 and a dash 8 in total?

f1yhigh
9th Apr 2020, 14:35
What about all the WA intrastate FIFO flights?

regional_flyer
9th Apr 2020, 22:09
What about all the WA intrastate FIFO flights?

FIFO flights will continue, as will the XCH/CCK run. Unless the mining sector shuts down, these flights are the one guaranteed income stream. Not operating them will cost money VA simply doesn't have.

C441
9th Apr 2020, 22:32

Qantas are operating some flights in addition to SYD-MEL…..not many, but a few.

f1yhigh
10th Apr 2020, 00:44
FIFO flights will continue, as will the XCH/CCK run. Unless the mining sector shuts down, these flights are the one guaranteed income stream. Not operating them will cost money VA simply doesn't have.

I'm personally counting on those flights to keep working.

TBM-Legend
10th Apr 2020, 01:38
VA's problem is that any pax needing to travel won't buy a ticket on them in case they shut down quickly which is what has effectively happened hence safer booking on QF which is still carrying a few on selected routes....

From inside the Govt, they are worried that any money to VA will be siphoned off to their owners and selected creditors and they don't wish to effectively fund overseas owners by the 'back door'"...

600ft-lb
10th Apr 2020, 01:51

Not sure about the mining FIFO flights but to regional centres such as Karratha and Port Hedland you can't book them on the website anymore.

Pavement
10th Apr 2020, 02:00
VA's problem is that any pax needing to travel won't buy a ticket on them in case they shut down quickly which is what has effectively happened hence safer booking on QF which is still carrying a few on selected routes....

From inside the Govt, they are worried that any money to VA will be siphoned off to their owners and selected creditors and they don't wish to effectively fund overseas owners by the 'back door'"...

It shouldn’t be that hard. Underwrite VA and QF to operate three services a week each (differing days) between the capital cities and possibly some major regional centres. Agree a block hourly rate and provide as a rebate on service completion. Keeps air routes, and therefore connectivity, open and some people still in jobs.

Better than providing a lump sum.

veryoldchinahand
10th Apr 2020, 02:58
VA operated a 777 out of Brisbane to Hong Kong at 10.30 this morning. Freight ?

ABP
10th Apr 2020, 03:05
VA operated a 777 out of Brisbane to Hong Kong at 10.30 this morning. Freight ?
Repatriation flight. It continues to Paris from Hong Kong.

Square Bear
10th Apr 2020, 07:47
@ Pavement
It shouldn't be that hard. Underwrite VA and QF to operate three services a week each (differing days) between the capital cities and possibly some major regional centres.

Totally agree with your comments, try and book a QF flight anywhere on the SYD BNE SYD sectors at the moment. Flights a few days in advance are unavailable more than likely due to nil seats available (they were there this morning). Try East Coast to Perth!!

Maybe VA is playing strategically in order to bargain for Govt Funding, but if not and is simply unable to fund flights, it can only cause further heartache to the economy.

wheels_down
10th Apr 2020, 07:50
Repatriation flight. It continues to Paris from Hong Kong.
I think that one today is just a HKG return.

The Paris flight starts in Auckland. The agreement with France was NZ traffic.

Should be a positioning flight to AKL tomorrow for BNE-AKL-HKG-CDG and return empty CDG-HKG, before another rep flight HKG-BNE

Middle.Marker
10th Apr 2020, 10:41
@ Pavement

Totally agree with your comments, try and book a QF flight anywhere on the SYD BNE SYD sectors at the moment. Flights a few days in advance are unavailable more than likely due to nil seats available (they were there this morning). Try East Coast to Perth!!

Maybe VA is playing strategically in order to bargain for Govt Funding, but if not and is simply unable to fund flights, it can only cause further heartache to the economy. More than likely suspended from sale versus sold out

chute packer
10th Apr 2020, 13:20

Already happened, wife booked and paid for BNE to PER Wednesday 8th evening, rang arvo of the 9th to say cancelled. Others were booking and paying right up to the announcement. Offered credits but they can't even say when the route will resume, and with the requirement to ask for compassionate exemptions into WA you need to stick to your approved dates. We've rebooked for the 24th on Qantas but I have little faith they'll still be operating then.
I really do hope its a ploy to have the govt step in and guarantee a couple of flights a week around the major cities, otherwise a lot of people will be stuck far from home for an extended time. Regional areas in WA are already hurting with limited to no flights now, so facing multi day drives to attend medical care in Perth.

f1yhigh
10th Apr 2020, 14:46
Already happened, wife booked and paid for BNE to PER Wednesday 8th evening, rang arvo of the 9th to say cancelled. Others were booking and paying right up to the announcement. Offered credits but they can't even say when the route will resume, and with the requirement to ask for compassionate exemptions into WA you need to stick to your approved dates. We've rebooked for the 24th on Qantas but I have little faith they'll still be operating then.
I really do hope its a ploy to have the govt step in and guarantee a couple of flights a week around the major cities, otherwise a lot of people will be stuck far from home for an extended time. Regional areas in WA are already hurting with limited to no flights now, so facing multi day drives to attend medical care in Perth.

Not judging as I don't know your situation, but curious why your wife didn't get back to PER earlier when she still could?

chute packer
11th Apr 2020, 03:39
Well it involves her 87 year old grandmother, the wife being her only family she has in the southern hemisphere, a heart attack 4 weeks ago, one she wasn't expected to survive but has, and having just got out of hospital 3 days ago we thought it best she not be forced to go out shopping or to her doctors while changing a significant amount of medication and so on. Once we saw the WA border was going to close we approached our MP here to help with a compassionate exemption to get back into WA which they said would be no problem given the circumstances, so we figured a week or so to get all the above sorted and her set back up in her unit with shopping and prescriptions filled etc to last a month, so date chosen to leave, flight booked and then...........

Now if Qantas withdraw services it's quite possible that by trying to do the right thing by family, she's going to be stuck for some time, luckily my employer is excellent so far, I've spent 2 weeks flexi time getting the kids off to school and starting late, but with it being strongly advised to take the kids out of school I have now had 2 weeks working from home and luckily still have a job when this is all over.

Not every situation is black and white.

Minimbah
11th Apr 2020, 04:18
So, I have money from cancellations due to COVID-19 in the Virgin Travel Bank. If Virgin does not survive am I a secured or unsecured creditor? :hmm:

Dale Hardale
11th Apr 2020, 04:36
I think you are unsecured - This type of credit would sit behind any secured creditor including staff.

Lookleft
11th Apr 2020, 07:08
It would be just like all the Velocity members.

Oakape
11th Apr 2020, 22:21
So they advertise a flight, take your cash & then cancel the flight & only offer a travel credit for a business that may not be around when you are able to use that credit. If they cancel the flight, you should get your cash back.

Typical of of the way things are structured these days. Everything flows towards business & the rest of society just gets screwed over.

Hoosten
11th Apr 2020, 23:47
So, I have money from cancellations due to COVID-19 in the Virgin Travel Bank. If Virgin does not survive am I a secured or unsecured creditor?

If you have paid with a credit card and you don't receive the goods, you WILL get your money back.

normanton
12th Apr 2020, 08:35
I would recommend getting a refund ASAP from this mob. Call your credit card holder immediately.

f1yhigh
13th Apr 2020, 17:58
Well it involves her 87 year old grandmother, the wife being her only family she has in the southern hemisphere, a heart attack 4 weeks ago, one she wasn't expected to survive but has, and having just got out of hospital 3 days ago we thought it best she not be forced to go out shopping or to her doctors while changing a significant amount of medication and so on. Once we saw the WA border was going to close we approached our MP here to help with a compassionate exemption to get back into WA which they said would be no problem given the circumstances, so we figured a week or so to get all the above sorted and her set back up in her unit with shopping and prescriptions filled etc to last a month, so date chosen to leave, flight booked and then...........

Now if Qantas withdraw services it's quite possible that by trying to do the right thing by family, she's going to be stuck for some time, luckily my employer is excellent so far, I've spent 2 weeks flexi time getting the kids off to school and starting late, but with it being strongly advised to take the kids out of school I have now had 2 weeks working from home and luckily still have a job when this is all over.

Not every situation is black and white.

Definitely wishing the best for you and your family. What a pickle to be in.

bankrunner
15th Apr 2020, 09:31
Australia Post are being hammered at the moment. Apparently busier than Christmas with everyone staying home ordering stuff and of course, with almost no RPT flying at the moment they're having capacity issues.

How much money could a passenger B738 with nil pax on board, and a belly full of freight make around the J-curve? Enough to be worthwhile?

Guessing the answer is a resounding no, but I'm curious.

bankrunner
15th Apr 2020, 09:37
So, I have money from cancellations due to COVID-19 in the Virgin Travel Bank. If Virgin does not survive am I a secured or unsecured creditor? :hmm:

If it's a credit for a flight you bought via credit card, the card scheme's rules will cover you.

You get back what you paid from the bank, and then your bank gets in line with all the other unsecured creditors.

Pearly White
22nd Apr 2020, 12:13
If it's a credit for a flight you bought via credit card, the card scheme's rules will cover you.

You get back what you paid from the bank, and then your bank gets in line with all the other unsecured creditors.
Except if the bank is quick, their credit card licence agreement with the airline allows them to direct debit the amount back form the airlines bank account. If there's any cash in it! Seen this happen in a company that was put into administraton!