PDA

View Full Version : Excel Help!

gehenna
7th Apr 2020, 12:52
Hi Everyone

Trying to while away the time in a useful way for once!

I have an Excel spreadsheet relating to the share value of a certain company; this updates whenever I open the sheet and select 'Data' then 'Refresh All.' With this, I only have current information available, but would like to be able to have a graph which tracks the value of these shares on a daily basis.

Does anyone have any clues, please, as to how I could go about doing this?

Thanks, and keep safe!

Saab Dastard
7th Apr 2020, 17:48
To make a graph, you need more than one data point. If your data is constantly being overwritten, then you have only one data point, which makes for a pretty useless graph! If you can store the data in successive columns (or rows), so that day 1 value is column 1, day 2 is column 2 etc, then you can easily create a graph based on the range of columns you have saved. Insert a graph from the Insert tab (assuming Excel 2007 or later, I'm looking at 2010). Right click on the graph space and Select Data, ensuring that you include the column title (e.g. date) as well as the data value. Voila. You can play around with a sliding week / month / year range if you like, once you have data...

... but why not just go to one of the many online resources that give you huge amounts of graphs and other data on every stock / share / fund / bond in the world - free! e.g. Hargreaves Lansdown - https://www.hl.co.uk/shares

SD

gehenna
8th Apr 2020, 08:50
Thanks, SD. Looks like going to an on-line site as you suggest is the easiest solution.

Appreciate your help, as always.

Take Care

G

Fareastdriver
8th Apr 2020, 18:38
Whatavidun?

I was working Excel 2003 and moving my curser around with the arrow keys. Allovasudden it started shifting the whole page up and down and will not go sideways.

Help! Please!

FollowTheSupper
8th Apr 2020, 19:03
Whatavidun?

I was working Excel 2003 and moving my curser around with the arrow keys. Allovasudden it started shifting the whole page up and down and will not go sideways.

Help! Please!

Try pressing the "Scr Lk" (Scroll Lock) key on your keyboard...!

Fareastdriver
9th Apr 2020, 07:10
Thanks anyway. It cleared itself this morning on startup.