PDA

View Full Version : Space based enquiry- help please

The AvgasDinosaur
6th Apr 2020, 12:16
Learned contributors,

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this.
No doubt someone will correct me if required!
I have found references to a total 5 NASA deep space probes that have achieved ‘solar escape velocity’ I can identify four of them Pioneer 10, Pioneer 11, Voyager1 and Voyager 2. I can not identify the fifth one. Can any one help?
Your time and trouble greatly appreciated.
David

mark25787
6th Apr 2020, 12:52
New Horizons?

The AvgasDinosaur
6th Apr 2020, 13:18
New Horizons?
New Horizons is still inside The Kuiper Belt.
so on it’s way there but not yet .
Currently estimated at the 125AU ‘boundary’ in 2047 at present velocity.
Thanks
Be lucky
David

Machdiamond
6th Apr 2020, 13:54
"Solar escape velocity" is a qualification term for a speed, not a position.

It just says you are going fast enough to escape the gravity well of the solar system, so you can achieve that while still inside it. Like New Horizons.

Max Angle
6th Apr 2020, 17:09
Yep, those five probes and the 3rd propulsion stages of 4 out of the 5 (Pioneer 11's wasn't going fast enough but the probe gained more speed during a planetary flyby) There is also apparently a set of "de-spin weights" that were used to slow the rate New Horizons was spinning at which are also at escape velocity.

Unless we launch any more those 10 objects will almost certainly out last us, the Earth, the Sun and the Solar System and will eventually be the only physical evidence that the human race ever existed.

The AvgasDinosaur
6th Apr 2020, 17:19
Yep, those five probes and the 3rd propulsion stages of 4 out of the 5 (Pioneer 11's wasn't going fast enough but the probe gained more speed during a planetary flyby) There is also apparently a set of "de-spin weights" that were used to slow the rate New Horizons was spinning at which are also at escape velocity.

Unless we launch any more those 10 objects will almost certainly out last us, the Earth, the Sun and the Solar System and will eventually be the only physical evidence that the human race ever existed.
Thanks for the clarification Max Angle.