PDA

View Full Version : Speedbirds to Chatauroux

kenparry
6th Apr 2020, 10:31
Several BA Airbus 380 going from LHR to Chatauroux this morning. I hope it's just for medium-term parking, not for scrapping. Anyone know for sure?

FlightDetent
6th Apr 2020, 11:00
Hope the crews have their survival kits along. Getting in and out of there in ground-mode is a 3 day trip that'll cost you a Trent engine.

Wycombe
6th Apr 2020, 11:15
A 319 (G-EUPJ, the one in BEA colours) positioned into CHR earlier, which I imagine will be the taxi home for the 380 crews.

Webby737
6th Apr 2020, 12:00
Several BA Airbus 380 going from LHR to Chatauroux this morning. I hope it's just for medium-term parking, not for scrapping. Anyone know for sure?
They're there for short term storage. Of course this may turn into medium or long term storage.
I would assume that the A319 was there to bring the crews back to the UK.

Maxfli
6th Apr 2020, 14:05
Monday

G-XLEA
G-XLEC
G-XLEF
G-XLEI

Tuesday

G-XLEJ
G-XLEL

The Airbus A319 G-EUPJ will bring the crews back to London.

kenparry
6th Apr 2020, 14:48
Thanks for the info.

GKOC41
6th Apr 2020, 14:58
They're there for short term storage. Of course this may turn into medium or long term storage.
I would assume that the A319 was there to bring the crews back to the UK.
Assuming there is parking space at LHR why move them? surely can't be parking charges (naively thinking BAA will cut them at LHR)

Groundloop
6th Apr 2020, 15:24
Assuming there is parking space at LHR why move them? surely can't be parking charges (naively thinking BAA will cut them at LHR)

It will be parking charges. No such company as BAA anymore - but HAL will be after all the money they can get at the moment!

TCAS FAN
6th Apr 2020, 16:15
It will be parking charges. No such company as BAA anymore - but HAL will be after all the money they can get at the moment!

In their day woud have not expected anything less from B****y Awful Airports Plc. If it has been caused by HAL parking charges (possibly also the cause of the B747 and A320/321 migrations?) doesn't say much for their green credentials, just how much extra CO2 has been dumped into the atmosphere by positioning out & back?

Surely part of the cake is better than none at all!

G-ARZG
6th Apr 2020, 18:17
Do you really think LHR has space for all the 'furloughed' BA squadrons?

Webby737
6th Apr 2020, 18:18
I've no idea what the storage costs would be at LHR but I imagine they would be extortionate !
CHR would be much cheaper.

TheFrenchConnection
6th Apr 2020, 18:35
Hi,

G-EUPJ just crossed the channel back to LHR 19:30 Mon & pics ; if you google CHR airport images , on / in tools ' last 24 hours ' , your see pics of the BA A380 parked up
Shame, I remember working on Singapore Airlines, first A380 at AB. Toulouse during the autumn of 2007 just 13 years ago..
Regards TFC.

pax britanica
6th Apr 2020, 18:38
I think the airfield congestion but at LHR is the main issue.
the place is completely packed out as is and with probably two thirds of the BA fleet airborne or away from home sat any time where on earth would you find space to park and other aircraft. At LHR its basically the gates plus relatively small areas at the BA engineering base. No disused runways long closed taxiways or an old adjoining decommissioned military base that many airports have.

Also would BA have to pay to park aircraft at the engineering bases I always assumed that was their property or if it belongs to HAL then BA pay rental for the who;e area they sue whether its got anything parked on not. Still with 30,000 staff furloughed their are probably a few carpark spaces

DaveReidUK
6th Apr 2020, 19:13
Assuming there is parking space at LHR why move them?

There are typically between 110 and 130 aircraft at Heathrow overnight, parked at most of the gates, remote stands and the BA/VS engineering bases.

BA's fleet on its own numbers about 280 aircraft.

Does that answer your question?