PDA

View Full Version : 50 Qantas staff Infected.

Sunfish
4th Apr 2020, 02:03
Would these people be on sick leave or workcare benefits?

About 50 Qantas and Jetstar staff, including pilots and cabin crew, have tested positive for coronavirus, the airline group confirmed.Key points:

The cases include eight pilots and about 19 cabin crew
It comes after a coronavirus cluster was identified among Adelaide Airport baggage handlers
The cluster has grown, with a security worker who carries out public duties testing positive

The company's medical officer Russell Brown yesterday told staff that, in addition to previously announced cases of baggage handlers, the airlines' numbers included eight pilots and 19 cabin crew.

"Most of those were from overseas, but they were taking the precautions," Dr Brown said via a webinar.

"They are wearing masks when flying and being careful, and we're still seeing these cases.

"When you're dealing with a community that has more spread, the risk goes up, and we have to start thinking about what's going on here.

It is understood the cases have been distributed throughout the entire Qantas Group — which also includes Jetstar.

In a statement, Qantas medical director Ian Hosegood said there was no evidence passengers had caught the virus from infected staff — but could not rule that out

"In most of these cases, the employees have contracted the coronavirus while overseas including staff who were on holidays," Dr Hosegood said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-04/qantas-confirms-50-staff-including-pilots-have-coronavirus/12121522

major_tom
4th Apr 2020, 02:21
Is the assumption from this article, that these staff are from ADL? Or are these 50 infections from an assortment of hubs?

SOPS
4th Apr 2020, 03:10
Is this the same Qantas that stood down a cleaner for warning people about the virus?

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/qantas-safe-work-nsw-coronavirus-risk/12029120?pfmredir=sm

Buttscratcher
4th Apr 2020, 05:20
Yup, SOPS, and the list of errors continues.
Once so smuggly adamant, now accountable for their arrogance.

Cdash
4th Apr 2020, 05:34
Some baggage from ADL, pilots from across the east coast and cabin crew from MEL and SYD.
Pilots and cabin crew now stood down without pay with the rest of the international ops and refused access to their sick leave during their recovery. Company has quite literally “left them for dead”. Cabin crew who worked alongside these infected crew members recently have received only an email heads up.
And the airline is about to ask these people to put their hand up to help bring Aussies home.

missy
4th Apr 2020, 06:29
Perhaps the risk assessment that exempted aircrew from the mandatory isolation protocols should be reviewed.

Transition Layer
4th Apr 2020, 07:02
Is the assumption from this article, that these staff are from ADL? Or are these 50 infections from an assortment of hubs?
Nope, not all ADL. Can think of at least two cases among the Pilot ranks which were picked up overseas.

das Uber Soldat
4th Apr 2020, 07:02
I'm confused, the vet Quantas employee kept telling me my risk is minimal and carry on. These tests must be wrong.

73to91
4th Apr 2020, 07:24
Daughter was never told that her LAX-SYD flight was on ‘a list’ such as:
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus-flights.aspx

Isn’t the CEO the person ultimately responsible when it comes to occ, health & safety?

Lapon
4th Apr 2020, 07:32
Daughter was never told that her LAX-SYD flight was on ‘a list’ such as:
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus-flights.aspx

Isn’t the CEO the person ultimately responsible when it comes to occ, health & safety?

Probably deemed to be a 'casual contact' instead of a 'close contact' just like how you are tired, not fatigued. Same same but different.

krismiler
4th Apr 2020, 08:02
I heard that the Police unions have informed the government that any infections will be workers comp and not sick leave.

Going Boeing
4th Apr 2020, 09:39
Perhaps the risk assessment that exempted aircrew from the mandatory isolation protocols should be reviewed.

You may be unaware that the exemption given to aircrew by the Federal Government comes with many restrictions that significantly reduce the chances of crew acquiring the virus whilst away. If crew do not comply with those restrictions/procedures, then they are required to be isolated upon their return.

73qanda
5th Apr 2020, 01:17
You may be unaware that the exemption given to aircrew by the Federal Government comes with many restrictions that significantly reduce the chances of crew acquiring the virus whilst away. If crew do not comply with those restrictions/procedures, then they are required to be isolated upon their return.
My experience was that I had to inform my managers ( major Aus Airline) as new requirements came out regarding crew exemptions and they were implemented late and poorly. The many restrictions you speak of were not communicated to crew through email, text, in tam, or face to face without significant lag and prompting. As for the last sentence......nobody checked, nobody communicated the requirement. It was poorly managed at my Airline. Zero leadership displayed until about 24th March.

Buttscratcher
6th Apr 2020, 10:36
https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/04/pilots-and-cabin-crew-among-50-qantas-covid-19-cases/

Brown said, “They are wearing masks when flying and being careful....".

Pants on fire, matey. We are advised not to wear masks on duty...still!

Section28- BE
6th Apr 2020, 10:52
73-91- that, right 'there' IS a ripper question- on so many levels!!!!

"Isn’t the CEO the person ultimately responsible when it comes to occ, health & safety?"

Trust all goes well.
Rgds
S28- BE

PPRuNeUser0198
6th Apr 2020, 11:17
I hear the Santiago crew from a week or so ago have now tested positive for COVID-19?

Angle of Attack
6th Apr 2020, 11:42
I’d suggest there will be far more infections, there was just lip service regarding crew protection when this thing started, they
know of course! Until they don’t.

ConfigFull
6th Apr 2020, 12:54
Should be a class action. This problem was so big for them they had to ignore it and threw us all out there like guinea pigs.

Capn Rex Havoc
6th Apr 2020, 15:47
only 50 staff ----- you should work for the middle east mob- 50 staff - luxury

L-Plater
8th Apr 2020, 21:15
Hard to believe that this wasn’t contracted at work and therefore an OH&S issue.

I hope Qantas grant special paid leave in light of these circumstances and cover medical costs.

Sunfish
10th Apr 2020, 17:37
The asthmatic child of a Qantas cabin crew member has been diagnosed with COVID-19 after contracting the virus from their mother.

The child is among four family members and flatmates of Qantas staff who caught the virus from flight crew exempt from mandatory quarantine rules and returned home after working on international flights.

And will this family disaster be paid for by Qantas?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/child-of-qantas-crew-member-infected-with-coronavirus-amid-quarantine-exemptions-20200410-p54ix9.html?fbclid=IwAR0X7b1pawQimDleQiAe0bhlOeYVO9RjCJw-wBe4U_ndBMdxMIoNbUOhn2s

standard unit
10th Apr 2020, 21:31
And will this family disaster be paid for by Qantas?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/child-of-qantas-crew-member-infected-with-coronavirus-amid-quarantine-exemptions-20200410-p54ix9.html?fbclid=IwAR0X7b1pawQimDleQiAe0bhlOeYVO9RjCJw-wBe4U_ndBMdxMIoNbUOhn2s

Qantas "management" are denying that any of these cases are as a result of contracting the virus whilst working onboard and are denying sick leave/support of any kind.

Wingspar
10th Apr 2020, 21:40
At the end of the day no one has any idea of what’s going on!
I remember some one at QF saying the risk outside of Whuhan is low???
It was always going to be a matter of time before crew got it.
To pretend otherwise is being ignorant.
Or just peddling a certain line!

standard unit
10th Apr 2020, 21:45
Qantas "management" are now looking at training New Zealand based cabin crew on the 787 because they can't get enough Australian based crew to volunteer for the rescue fights.

Sunfish
10th Apr 2020, 21:52
No bailout if they are not using or recruiting Australian staff.

normanton
10th Apr 2020, 22:38
No bailout if they are not using or recruiting Australian staff.
Thanks yet again for your wise and useless comments Sunfish.

The reason they can't get enough staff is because the cabin crew unions have told them not to accept any flights due to the risks of contracting the disease.

As a result, they have gone to the external crewing company, Jetconnect. They are currently doing 787 conversion courses.

Sunfish
10th Apr 2020, 23:12
Normanton, exactly. Qantas is not an Australian company at all and should not be bailed out by the Australian taxpayer. It only plays the Australia card when it wants something. The rest of the time it is a stateless international business.

You know who Qantas admires? Carnival Cruise lines. They screw their captive customers for every dollar. Their staff are paid about $1.60 an hour. The crew who don’t front the customers are poor third world peasants dressed in rags (i’ve seen them on the first and last cruise I took). Those that need English are recruited from Eastern Europe. The officers are cardboard cutouts who look the part - norwegians with viking beards, Britain’s who look and talk like Sean Connery,, etc, etc.. All employees except officers, are recruited from disperate groups deliberately so they can never trust each other enough to consider unionizing. They are all on ten voyage rolling un synchronized contracts which gives ten percent staff turnover each voyage with no certainty of re-engagement. That is your future. Carnival pays SFA American taxes and you know what? It wants a bailout too - just like Qantas!

https://story.californiasunday.com/below-deck

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/21187076/cruise-line-industry-bailout-trump-coronavirus-us-companies-tax

kcboy
10th Apr 2020, 23:17
Normanton, exactly. Qantas is not an Australian company at all and should not be bailed out by the Australian taxpayer. It only plays the Australia card when it wants something. The rest of the time it is a stateless international business.

You know who Qantas admires? Carnival Cruise lines. They screw their captive customers for every dollar. Their staff are paid about $1.60 an hour. The crew who don’t front the customers are poor third world peasants dressed in rags (i’ve seen them on the first and last cruise I took). Those that need English are recruited from Eastern Europe. The officers are cardboard cutouts who look the part - norwegians with viking beards, Britain’s who look and talk like Sean Connery,, etc, etc.. All employees except officers, are recruited from disperate groups deliberately so they can never trust each other enough to consider unionizing. They are all on ten voyage rolling un synchronized contracts which gives ten percent staff turnover each voyage with no certainty of re-engagement. That is your future. Carnival pays SFA American taxes and you know what? It wants a bailout too - just like Qantas!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/21187076/cruise-line-industry-bailout-trump-coronavirus-us-companies-tax

mate you need to stop getting on the bottle and ranting here... it’s like 9am

Kiwiconehead
10th Apr 2020, 23:18
Qantas "management" are denying that any of these cases are as a result of contracting the virus whilst working onboard and are denying sick leave/support of any kind.

Do Qantas still self insure for workcover?

I daresay Maurice Blackburn are already on the case.

normanton
10th Apr 2020, 23:36

You're cooked mate. Go for a walk.

Sprite
11th Apr 2020, 00:08

Another unhinged and uneducated rant. A perfect example of https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123855220000056

Once had a job in an airline ... must be an expert on airlines. Has a PPL...is an expert on flying. What a joke of a person!

blow.n.gasket
11th Apr 2020, 00:33
If Qantas’ “smartest guys in the room” had their way I believe Qantas would quickly become a Stateless International business using flag of convenience contracts , as proposed by Sunfish .
Not too far removed from what the pilots were threatened with on their last EBA as an example of Qantas managements mindset ?
I actually think that what Sunfish has espoused probably isn’t too far from the truth if Joyce could get away with it !
Despite what the Qantas shills decree !
Watch this space when Qantas emerges circa 1/2 the size it was , pre Covid precipitated apocalypse , and how hard remaining staff/unions will be squeezed if they want continuing employment !

Blueskymine
11th Apr 2020, 01:50
I see it going the other way.

Agreements have been signed at least with the pilots.

the post covid world will be a point to point world avoiding, well, Asia.

I see QF bringing forward the 350s which will be available quickly, standing up 330 guys straight to it and training the 380 guys over.

The QF Longhaul network will be LHR ex per. JFK ex syd. Lax ex syd with a handful of 80s with Mel and Bne hubbing via SYD.

The maggot will be very busy domestically.

Im not so sure how JQ will pan out, but I see those 787s coming across to QF ASAP and the older 330s parked up.

I suspect the LCC model of leased fleets will be over. In the shorter term.

Foxxster
11th Apr 2020, 03:23
Do Qantas still self insure for workcover?

I daresay Maurice Blackburn are already on the case.

yes they self insure.

https://www.sira.nsw.gov.au/insurance-coverage/workers-compensation-insurance/how-to-get-workers-compensation-insurance/accordion-3/self-insurers

seems a pretty straight forward case. Community spread cases are few and far between. Most of our cases are imported. So it would seem that for 50 Qantas employees to be infected, they must have on balance caught it either from an infected passenger on board an aircraft or while they were staying in a high risk country. That would include the USA.

either way , they caught it due to their work. And therefore it is a work related illness and would fall under worker’s compensation. To my non legal mind anyway. Although workers compensation is usually for permanent injuries not a temporary virus. So sick leave is probably more relevant . Having said that, there is evidence that many people with WuHu bat stew flu have permanent damage to lungs, heart and kidneys. And of course some die. So if that is the case workers compensation may come in to play. And there is always the class action route to sue for civil damages.

not looking good for Joyce. A complete pr disaster and an utterly disgraceful way to treat his employees.

Sunfish
11th Apr 2020, 03:30
Police have already dictated to Government that any cases of Coronavirus are a work cover matter, not sick leave. I’m led to believe 300+ are in quarantine ATM.

Foxxster
11th Apr 2020, 03:37
Police have already dictated to Government that any cases of Coronavirus are a work cover matter, not sick leave. I’m led to believe 300+ are in quarantine ATM.

with respect to you and the police, I am not sure if the police are the arbiters of work cover cases. That is to say they most certainly are not. And they sure as hell don’t get to dictate to government anything.

from Comcare site

https://www.comcare.gov.au/safe-healthy-work/prevent-harm/coronavirusWe have prepared answers to some frequently asked questions about claims and COVID-19.

Am I covered for workers’ compensation if I contract COVID-19?

A virus, like COVID-19, would be considered under the disease provisions of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRC Act). For a disease to be covered it must be contributed to, to a significant degree, by the employee’s employment (section 5B).

For coverage to exist, a determining authority (the claim decision maker) would need to be satisfied that employment significantly contributed to the employee contracting the virus. For viruses, it can be difficult to accurately determine the exact time and place of contraction. It can therefore be difficult to determine that employment was a significant contributing factor.

However, where an employee’s employment puts them at greater risk of contracting the virus the significant contribution test may be easier to meet. For example, if the employment involves:

travel to an area with a known viral outbreak
activities that include engagement or interaction with people who have contracted the virus
activities that contravene Department of Health recommendations.

Each claim would need to be considered on its individual merits, having regard to the individual circumstances and evidence in relation to the claim.

Sunfish
11th Apr 2020, 04:29
That is comcare, not workcover.

‘’Anyway:’

activities that include engagement or interaction with people who have contracted the virus

pretty much covers everything police do.

Kiwiconehead
11th Apr 2020, 05:16
ylthough workers compensation is usually for permanent injuries not a temporary virus. So sick leave is probably more relevant

Workers compensation is for any work related injury or illness - it doesn't have to be permanent.

Foxxster
11th Apr 2020, 05:28
That is comcare, not workcover.

‘’Anyway:’

pretty much covers everything police do.

absolutely nothing to do with the police.

Foxxster
11th Apr 2020, 05:46
Workers compensation is for any work related injury or illness - it doesn't have to be permanent.

correct. I was trying to make the point that usually a flu type Illness would not be grounds for a worker’s compensation claim. Over 80% of WuHu bat stew flu are mild, more so in younger people. If you only need to take a few days off work as in a normal flu or cold, that would normally be taken as sick leave.

however with WuHu, there is a mandatory 14 day isolation required plus you then need to be re tested to ensure you are clear. If it was a more severe case then there may also be medical bills. So there could be grounds for a claim, you would need to fill out one of these with your doctor.
There are income support payments whilst you are unfit for work and also reimbursement for medical costs.
https://www.sira.nsw.gov.au/for-service-providers/cofcoc#Certificate_of_capacity_or_fitness_for_workers_compen sation

Sunfish
11th Apr 2020, 09:03
I say again, Police have told government that if they want policing, it’s a workcover claim if they get sick. The reason is that “social distancing “ is impossible during police work.

I assume paramedics and HCW are already the same.

An associated problem is supermarket and service station staff, actually all checkout staff, may take the same line.

Our CFA brigade is lucky to have a whole family or two of members who live together who can man the tanker. It’s heartening to see Dad and the kids turning out together. Us old farts are relegated to support and washing hoses until the pandemic is over.

We can happily discuss this subject after the pandemic.

Sunfish
11th Apr 2020, 11:25
Qantas have now doubled down. The class action against these Sydney charlie uniform november tangoes should’ve highly entertaining. It’s not workcover, it’s not sick leave, it’s nothing to do with us!

’as has defended its decision not to allow cabin crew who developed COVID-19 after being stood down access to their accrued sick leave entitlements, arguing there is "no job for them to be sick from" and that many of them became infected while on holidays.

Jokes aside, a simple statistical analysis of the work patterns of QF flying staff versus office staff will see Qantas exposed as lying two faced creeps, and judgement entered accordingly.

The 14 day latency is the key.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-11/coronavirus-cases-in-family-of-qantas-flight-crew-union-warning/12142506

Paragraph377
11th Apr 2020, 12:19
It’s been very noticeable that the little Irish creep has gone very silent. That is often the case with the Leprechaun when serious issues are in play. Gutless little worm goes to ground and hides behind others skirts.

normanton
12th Apr 2020, 08:32
Funnily enough, despite all the bull**** Sunfish posts on this forum, I am going to agree with him on this one.

Anyone who was on long term sick leave before this happened, should remain on sick leave.

Anyone who catches the virus as a result of work should be on sick leave.

Qantas has dropped the ball on this one. Unacceptable.

Sunfish
12th Apr 2020, 08:35
750 Qantas staff quarantined.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/coronavirus/no-new-cases-but-750-qantas-workers-into-immediate-quarantine-fourth-south-australian-dies/news-story/2832ab486e00509d8dc5b19ca569ff3f

CaptCloudbuster
12th Apr 2020, 08:54
750 Qantas staff quarantined.

Great to see Qantas being a responsible Corporate Citizen doing the right thing by its People and the Community :ok:

Thanks for sharing Sunfish:D

dr dre
12th Apr 2020, 09:00
Great to see Qantas being a responsible Corporate Citizen doing the right thing by its People and the Community :ok:

Agreed. Hopefully the isolation period for most will be far fewer than 14 days.

Cloudee
12th Apr 2020, 09:07

Credit where credit’s due but not sure Qantas had any choice, this was a health department directive, not a Qantas initiative.

CaptCloudbuster
13th Apr 2020, 01:16
I agree with you that the issue of People on long term sick leave could be handled better.

My view is that finally the QF Management Team are turning up with Leadership, an Plan to survive and great Communication in a crisis evolving hourly.

I am in the firing line also as a SH Pilot. Both from a health and financial perspective. I’m waiting for my stand down notice to come today or tomorrow for next BP. 2 weeks ago I was carrying plane loads of repatriating Cruise Ship pax.

Capt Cloudbuster
You care as much as the parasites stealing the JobKeeper.

To offer something in the way of balance, QF are allowing affected People to stand down unpaid in order to receive the full Job Keeper subsidy despite being permitted to request (that can’t be unreasonably refused) AL be used down to 2 weeks.

Sunfish
13th Apr 2020, 01:51
Now making International news.

I think CC have a good case.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/13/qantas-staff-consider-class-action-alleging-airline-failed-to-protect-them-against-covid-19

CaptCloudbuster
13th Apr 2020, 02:07
Less than 3 weeks ago President Trump was calling for the USA to reopen and fill Churches at Easter.

I have no reason to doubt (at this stage) QF Medical and Management acting and making decisions based on the best evidence at the time.

It will be interesting to follow this case to its conclusion.

Please keep us updated Sunfish.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/calls-packed-churches-easter-trump-call-social-distancing/story?id=70083860

C441
13th Apr 2020, 02:26
I agree with you that the issue of People on long term sick leave could be handled better.

To offer something in the way of balance, QF are allowing affected People to stand down unpaid in order to receive the full Job Keeper subsidy despite being permitted to request (that can’t be unreasonably refused) AL be used down to 2 weeks.
Qantas are doing that for one reason and one reason alone. They need to preserve cash and forcing leave upon the staff will invariably cost them more cash, despite offsetting the cost with Jobkeeper, than they can retain by having no outgoings on leave payments.

I very much doubt it's been done as a gesture of goodwill.

CaptCloudbuster
13th Apr 2020, 02:57
Qantas are doing that for one reason and one reason alone. They need to preserve cash and forcing leave upon the staff will invariably cost them more cash.

That hypothesis sounds entirely plausible.

My points stand.

1) QF aren’t “stealing” Job Keeper and
2) QF Management have a plan to steer the Company though this unprecedented threat to its existence.

Derfred
14th Apr 2020, 17:37
How did this thread get hijacked? This is not a JobKeeper thread.

Qantas were forcing staff subject to quarantine or isolation due work to take annual leave in lieu of sick leave.

If they didn’t have any annual leave, then bad luck, no pay.

It seems that QF may have just recently reconsidered the policy. Presumably they were shamed into it by the media. That’s us.

Sunfish
16th Apr 2020, 00:14
Occupational Information Network (US Government) rates cabin crew as the highest risk category for Covid19 after HCW. 4 times the risk of a CEO.

So much for Qantas doctors.

https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/covid-19-occupational-risk-scores-1200px-1.jpg?itok=RclEhfz8

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/these-are-jobs-highest-covid-19-risk

CaptCloudbuster
16th Apr 2020, 01:22
Occupational Information Network (US Government) rates cabin crew as the highest risk category for Covid19 after HCW. 4 times the risk of a CEO.

Makes complete sense with 650 000 cases in the US:eek:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Thankfully we only have 6500 cases here in Aus with a Domestic network of around 6% of normal

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

Thanks for sharing Sunfish.

standard unit
16th Apr 2020, 06:24
Makes complete sense with 650 000 cases in the US:eek:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Thankfully we only have 6500 cases here in Aus with a Domestic network of around 6% of normal

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

Thanks for sharing Sunfish.

Would Olivia's Angel not agree that "Australian International cabin crew" operating in an International environment (rescue/repatriation flights) be considered in the same category as those described the US Government Occupational Information Network ?

Yes, thank you Sunfish for sharing.

So much for Qantas doctors indeed....

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/unions-push-to-scrap-airline-cabin-crew-quarantine-exemption-20200416-p54kbz.html

CaptCloudbuster
16th Apr 2020, 07:29
I can’t speak on behalf of the “Angels”, however it is worth noting SU that QF have asked their FA’s to express a “willingness to work” for rosters covering at least the next three months. An acknowledgment that not all will feel comfortable performing their normal role at this time.

Bravo QF for taking a consultative, considerate and humane approach to Crewing in these uncertain times:D

standard unit
16th Apr 2020, 08:05
I can’t speak on behalf of the “Angels”, however it is worth noting SU that QF have asked their FA’s to express a “willingness to work” for rosters covering at least the next three months. An acknowledgment that not all will feel comfortable performing their normal role at this time.

Bravo QF for taking a consultative, considerate and humane approach to Crewing in these uncertain times:D

Well noted that you have not answered my question.

CaptCloudbuster
16th Apr 2020, 11:01
The [rhetorical] question I’ve heard asked here is: Are Qantas behaving ethically toward their front line staff?

I’ve provided a counterpoint to demonstrate that in fact, yes they are.

I don’t apologise SU for the nuance in my contribution.

Sunfish
16th Apr 2020, 21:08
I’ve met one or two “corporate doctors” in my time. They were thoughtfully provided by a benevolent employer to “look after” employees health concerns. They were treated as part of the top management team. They were paid handsomely, overseas trips every year, Christmas parties, golf days, all the usual very very senior management perks. The employer had a lot of staff and the doctor was kept very very busy.

CaptCloudbuster
17th Apr 2020, 02:52
I’ve met one or two “corporate doctors” in my time. They were thoughtfully provided by a benevolent employer to “look after” employees health concerns. They were treated as part of the top management team. They were paid handsomely, overseas trips every year, Christmas parties, golf days, all the usual very very senior management perks. The employer had a lot of staff and the doctor was kept very very busy.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus/qantas-mercy-flight-touches-down-in-melbourne-carrying-stranded-aussies/news-story/d1f292eab9ba4dcf34f2a38b07fc53ba?btr=4d1e7d3b1309aca1f51f105 bb6b6be82

Meanwhile, Qantas with it’s coterie of brave, patriotic Crew get on with what they’ve been doing best for 100 years. Truly Australia’s National Flag Carrier. A dependable friend indeed.

Thank you Captain King and Crew, your selfless efforts are appreciated.

Thank you, the three anonymous medical staff, travelling on board.
(Thoughtfully provided by a benevolent employer?)

Thank you Qantas Management, you haven’t forgotten Australians in our time of immense need.

Truly the Spirit of Australia :D
Qantas mercy flight touches down in Melbourne carrying stranded Aussies
Stephen Drill, Europe Correspondent, News Corp Australia Network
April 16, 2020 6:48pm

Exclusive: A Qantas mercy flight carrying medical supplies and more than 150 Australians has landed in Melbourne in another weapon against COVID-19.

The flight, which touched down just before 6.30pm AEST, is part of a co-ordinated attempt to keep a weekly flight from London to Australia running for people stranded in Europe.

It’s understood the flight carried essential medical equipment, including protective masks and gloves, which was sourced from throughout the world and shipped to London to be returned to Australia.

The medical shipment was a key part of making sure the service was flying, a source close to the discussions said.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/9c5d736cafd9fad5c160e33300cd5b2a?width=1024In the cockpit: (from left) Captain Michael King, Second Officer Shelley Kent, First Officer Ben Jenkins, First Officer Glen Oakey. Picture: SuppliedThe Qantas Dreamliner QF10 left London and flew via Perth to Melbourne, with three medical staff on board.

https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/p13n/v2/users/null/items/d1f292eab9ba4dcf34f2a38b07fc53ba/similars?category=coronavirus&limit=2&t_product=HeraldSun&t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_contentlist/index&td_contentlistTitle=MORE%2520IN%2520coronavirus&td_eventKey=event10&td_group_id=related-articlesPassengers were unable to get off at Perth to maintain strict quarantine rules as Australia battled the coronavirus.

The flight’s captain, Michael King, said while the flight path was normal, the lack of aircraft activity in the skies was strange.

“It was eerily quiet with very little traffic in skies that are normally very busy, in particular over Europe and India, I saw around 10 aircraft during the entire flight so that was a very peculiar scenario but it was nice to play our part in repatriating Australians that needed to get home,” he said.

The flights running weekly between London and Australia have been sold out for the next three weeks.