PDA

View Full Version : S/Ldr A Cain - Bomber Command

AndrewClark
1st Apr 2020, 13:22
Can anyone help me by providing any information about this chap. All I know is that he was working, during 1944, in 'Organisation 3' - which was a section within either Bomber Command Headquarters or the Air Ministry. Any help welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Pontius Navigator
2nd Apr 2020, 19:29
Can anyone help me by providing any information about this chap. All I know is that he was working, during 1944, in 'Organisation 3' - which was a section within either Bomber Command Headquarters or the Air Ministry. Any help welcome and appreciated. Thanks
I would guess that was Org3 which would define a functional role in the Org area, typical examples would be Air 1, Air 2 etc. Org3, or Organisation as you suggest, probably concerned a position within what is now Supply and Logistics.

"The post which was created in 1923 was originally known as the Air Member for Supply and Research; it was renamed Air Member for Supply and Organisation in 1936 and Air Member for Logistics in 1994.[2] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Member_for_Materiel#cite_note-appoints-2) Since 2007 it has been the Air Member for Materiel.[2] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Member_for_Materiel#cite_note-appoints-2)'
Bomber Command would have had staff officers mirroring the staff in the Air Ministry.

AndrewClark
6th Apr 2020, 11:23
There is a possibility that Sqd/Ldr A Cain could be Albert Cain (1539877). He apparently enlisted at Padgate in April 1941, but I can't find out anything else about him.........

AndrewClark
11th Aug 2020, 13:19
Hi all. Having had a stroke of luck, I'm now pretty certain that this chap was Sqdn/Ldr Alfred Carr (106785). He shows up a few times in the London Gazette as being in the A&SD Branch of the RAF. Intriguingly, although one of these shows him as being commissioned, from F/Sgt rank with the original service number 356120, I can find no record of an Alfred Carr with that number in AIR78/28/6. Can anyone throw any light on this chap please? Thanks, Andrew