PDA

View Full Version : RVR naming. Rollout OR stop end.

9 points
31st Mar 2020, 03:24
Hi Gents and Ladies

Would anyone know why we see the terms "rollout" and "stop end" used for apparently the same location?
Is this a case of one part of the world doing it differently to the other?

Also, if there are 4 RVR reporting points on the runway (as is the case in my home base), what are the third and fourth called?

A Jepps reference would be greatly appreciated if that's easy for any bookworm types out there.

Thanks

Vessbot
31st Mar 2020, 03:39
In USA Land it's touchdown zone, mid, rollout, and for the few airports that have a 4th RVR, I believe it's "far end." This is 90% sure by memory, sorry no Jepp. But if you find someone who has access to Denver KDEN Jepps, that is one such airport.

Edit: Huh, turns out I do have Denver Jepps, and what I wrote above is true. Also the far end RVR is advisory only and not controlling.

aerolearner
31st Mar 2020, 06:12
For ICAO, it would be "stop-end".

Annex 3 (https://www.bazl.admin.ch/dam/bazl/de/dokumente/Fachleute/Regulationen_und_Grundlagen/icao-annex/icao_annex_3_meteorologicalserviceforinternationalairnavigat ion.pdf.download.pdf/icao_annex_3_meteorologicalserviceforinternationalairnavigat ion.pdf)
4.6.3.4 Runway visual range assessments shall be representative of:
a) the touchdown zone of the runway intended for non-precision or Category I instrument approach and landing operations;
b) the touchdown zone and the mid-point of the runway intended for Category II instrument approach and landing operations; and
c) the touchdown zone, the mid-point and stop-end of the runway intended for Category III instrument approach and landing operations.

Denti
31st Mar 2020, 06:42
If i remember correctly the last time i had CAT III conditions in MUC they reported touch down, mid point, mid point, stop end. I might be mistaken though, it has been a month or two and i was more interested why they moved into a very unusual runway configuration with the southern ones for approaches and the northern one for departures. Since traffic level was already down considerably, that might have been the reason.

9 points
3rd Apr 2020, 05:08
Thanks fellas.

James0830
10th May 2020, 11:21
Hi everyone! Could anyone answer this question please! And if you have reference kindly attach.

Let’s say your min RVR for Cat 3A is 200 m,

Your touchdown RVR is 200 m. Should your Mid RVR be 200 m as well? Touchdown and mid RVR are mandatory and controlling.

Thank you for your reply

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th May 2020, 12:51
Your touchdown RVR is 200 m. Should your Mid RVR be 200 m as well?

No - The touchdown zone RVR shall always be controlling. If reported and relevant, the midpoint and stopend RVR shall also be controlling. The minimum RVR value for the midpoint shall be 125 m or the RVR required for the touchdown zone if less, and 75 m for the stopend. For aircraft equipped with a rollout guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the midpoint shall be 75 m.

aterpster
10th May 2020, 13:57
Also, if there are 4 RVR reporting points on the runway (as is the case in my home base), what are the third and fourth called?

What airport is that? I haven't seen a 4 RVR runway.

James0830
10th May 2020, 14:03
No - The touchdown zone RVR shall always be controlling. If reported and relevant, the midpoint and stopend RVR shall also be controlling. The minimum RVR value for the midpoint shall be 125 m or the RVR required for the touchdown zone if less, and 75 m for the stopend. For aircraft equipped with a rollout guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the midpoint shall be 75 m.

Reply:

Let’s say the Wx is RVR 200,125,75 m

Since our minima for CAT 3 is 200 m, and touchdown and Mid RVR are mandatory and controlling as per our Regulation, Is it legal for me to fly the approach before approach ban?

Thank you

Vessbot
10th May 2020, 17:50
KDEN, Denver.

sleeve of wizard
11th May 2020, 06:44

Have a look at DXB/OMDB, DOH/OTHH.

FE Hoppy
11th May 2020, 12:29
If you are going to be above 60kt then it's relevant so unless your stopping distance is less than 1/3 the runway you should respect the approach ban.

aterpster
11th May 2020, 14:34
I...But if you find someone who has access to Denver KDEN Jepps, that is one such airport.

Edit: Huh, turns out I do have Denver Jepps, and what I wrote above is true. Also the far end RVR is advisory only and not controlling.

Here is the digital chart supplement for KDEN. I find some two, some three RVR runways, but no four RVR runways.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1367x919/den_dcs_1_3472839abf00100fe3eb3eaaf2171e56899b0fbb.jpg

FlightDetent
11th May 2020, 15:43
If you are going to be above 60kt then it's relevant so unless your stopping distance is less than 1/3 the runway you should respect the approach ban.
If you are going to be above 60kt for the third part, then it would be relevant. For manual high-speed rollout, the 125 in the MID is sufficient.

Fixed?

Vessbot
11th May 2020, 15:45
Here is the digital chart supplement for KDEN. I find some two, some three RVR runways, but no four RVR runways.

I'm guessing the AeroNav supplement omits anything that is not required due to clutter. Here's the Jepp. The only runway that has this is 34L/16R.
​​​​​​

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1290x390/image_82847e5c86904c99ffaf951f133706d046946bcb.jpeg

aterpster
11th May 2020, 15:58
I'm guessing the AeroNav supplement omits anything that is not required due to clutter. Here's the Jepp. The only runway that has this is 34L/16R.
​​​​​​
Thanks! Interesting.

Johnny F@rt Pants
11th May 2020, 22:04
Reply:

Let’s say the Wx is RVR 200,125,75 m

Since our minima for CAT 3 is 200 m, and touchdown and Mid RVR are mandatory and controlling as per our Regulation, Is it legal for me to fly the approach before approach ban?

Thank you

It is legal for you to fly the approach right the way to minimums. If any of the controlling RVR’s fall below the limits you can still commence the approach, but not beyond the 1000’ point or equivalent.

avoka
12th May 2020, 02:32
Far end is “for advisory only”
Safe flights and stay healthy