PDA

View Full Version : MPL: Training suspended after COVID19 outbreak

Platypus
29th Mar 2020, 14:27
Dear fellows,

My story is one of many individual fates in the industry these days.
For the past two years, I have been enrolled in an airline ab inition programme at a major european carrier. Our class sucessfully finished the type rating course up to the skill test, still missing base training in the actual aircraft, when everything stopped due to Corona. Due to the recent developements in the crisis, flight ops as well as training at my airline obviously has been suspended for an undefined time, but at the moment some of us have been told that we would be looking at no continuation until next year, not taking into account the chance of the operator ceasing operations permanently.
So I am looking at alternatives to complete my license, maybe to the degree of CPL. I am also holding an EASA PPL(A).

Reading through EASA PART-FCL, I still have some open questions regarding the interpretation of this document, and maybe you have answers to them:

1.: Is anybody reading this, or has been, in a similar situation? What would be your course of action?
2.: Is it true, that in order to qualify for the CPL skill test, I "only" need to make up the required PIC flight hours (in my case about 25h)? Can these hours be flown in SEP?
3.: Regarding the TR: Can the base training be completed in a Level D FFS instead of the actual aeroplane? Looking at the training matrix, it seems to me that there is no explicit requirement for the landing training to take place in the actual aircraft (PART-FCL, page 1260, not allowed to post URLs here)

PART-FCL CPL Training Course, specific conditions for MPL holders
FCL.325.A CPL(A) — Specific conditions for MPL holders

Before exercising the privileges of a CPL(A), the holder of an MPL shall have completed in aeroplanes:

(a) 70 hours of flight time:

(1) as PIC; or

(2) made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and the additional flight time as PIC under supervision

(PICUS).

Of these 70 hours, 20 shall be of VFR cross-country flight time as PIC, or cross-country flight

time made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and 10 hours as PICUS. This shall include a VFR crosscountry

flight of at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full-stop landings at two

different aerodromes shall be flown as PIC;

(b) the elements of the CPL(A) modular course as specified in paragraphs 10(a) and 11 of Appendix 3,

E to this Part; and

(c) the CPL(A) skill test, in accordance with FCL.320.

PART-FCL appendix 5
Appendix 5 - Integrated MPL training course

GENERAL

1. The aim of the MPL integrated course is to train pilots to the level of proficiency necessary to

enable them to operate as co-pilot of a multi- engine multi-pilot turbine-powered air transport

aeroplane under VFR and IFR and to obtain an MPL.

2. Approval for an MPL training course shall only be given to an ATO that is part of a commercial air

transport operator certificated in accordance with Part-ORO or having a specific arrangement with

such an operator.

3. An applicant wishing to undertake an MPL integrated course shall complete all the instructional

stages in one continuous course of training at an ATO. The training shall be competency based and

conducted in a multi-crew operational environment.

4. Only ab-initio applicants shall be admitted to the course.

5. The course shall comprise:

(a) theoretical knowledge instruction to the ATPL(A) knowledge level;

(b) visual and instrument flying training;

(c) training in MCC for the operation of multi-pilot aeroplanes; and

(d) type rating training.

6. An applicant failing or unable to complete the entire MPL course may apply to the competent

authority for the theoretical knowledge examination and skill test for a licence with lower privileges

and an IR, if the applicable requirements are met.

THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE

7. An approved MPL theoretical knowledge course shall comprise at least 750 hours of instruction

for the ATPL(A) knowledge level, as well as the hours required for theoretical knowledge instruction

for the relevant type rating, in accordance with Subpart H.

FLYING TRAINING

8. The flying training shall comprise a total of at least 240 hours, composed of hours as PF and PNF,

in actual and simulated flight, and covering the following 4 phases of training:

(a) Phase 1 — Core flying skills

Specific basic single-pilot training in an aeroplane.

(b) Phase 2 — Basic

Introduction of multi-crew operations and instrument flight.

(c) Phase 3 — Intermediate

Part-FCL – Appendices, AMC and GM V1, June 2016

Go back to Appendices

Go back to the content

1179 | P a g e

Application of multi-crew operations to a multi-engine turbine aeroplane certified as a high

performance aeroplane in accordance with Part-21.

(d) Phase 4 — Advanced

Type rating training within an airline oriented environment.

Flight experience in actual flight shall include all the experience requirements of Subpart H, upset

recovery training, night flying, flight solely by reference to instruments and the experience required

to achieve the relevant airmanship.

MCC requirements shall be incorporated into the relevant phases above.

Training in asymmetric flight shall be given either in an aeroplane or an FFS.

9. Each phase of training in the flight instruction syllabus shall be composed of both instruction in

the underpinning knowledge and in practical training segments.

10. The training course shall include a continuous evaluation process of the training syllabus and a

continuous assessment of the students following the syllabus. Evaluation shall ensure that:

(a) the competencies and related assessment are relevant to the task of a co- pilot of a multi-pilot

aeroplane; and

(b) the students acquire the necessary competencies in a progressive and satisfactory manner.

11. The training course shall include at least 12 take-offs and landings to ensure competency. These

take-offs and landings shall be performed under the supervision of an instructor in an aeroplane for

which the type rating shall be issued.

ASSESSMENT LEVEL

12. The applicant for the MPL shall have demonstrated performance in all 9 competency units

specified in paragraph 13 below, at the advanced level of competency required to operate and

interact as a co-pilot in a turbine-powered multi-pilot aeroplane, under visual and instrument

conditions. Assessment shall confirm that control of the aeroplane or situation is maintained at all

times, to ensure the successful outcome of a procedure or manoeuvre. The applicant shall

consistently demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the safe operation of the

applicable aeroplane type, in accordance with the MPL performance criteria.

COMPETENCY UNITS

13. The applicant shall demonstrate competency in the following 9 competency units:

(1) apply human performance principles, including principles of threat and error

management;

(2) perform aeroplane ground operations;

(3) perform take-off;

(4) perform climb;

Go back to Appendices

Go back to the content

1180 | P a g e

(5) perform cruise;

(6) perform descent;

(7) perform approach;

(8) perform landing; and

(9) perform after landing and aeroplane post-flight operations.

SIMULATED FLIGHT

14. Minimum requirements for FSTDs:

E-training and part tasking devices approved by the competent authority that have the following

characteristics:

— involve accessories beyond those normally associated with desktop computers, such as functional

replicas of a throttle quadrant, a side- stick controller, or an FMS keypad, and

— involve psychomotor activity with appropriate application of force and timing of responses.

(b) Phase 2 — Basic

An FNPT II MCC that represents a generic multi-engine turbine-powered aeroplane.

An FSTD that represents a multi-engine turbine-powered aeroplane required to be operated with a

co-pilot and qualified to an equivalent standard to level B, additionally including:

— a daylight/twilight/night visual system continuous cross-cockpit minimum collimated visual field

of view providing each pilot with 180° horizontal and 40° vertical field of view, and

— ATC environment simulation.

(d) Phase 4 — Advanced

An FFS which is fully equivalent to level D or level C with an enhanced daylight visual system,

including ATC environment simulation.

Looking forward to read your opinions and stories.

Kind regards

Mickey Kaye
29th Mar 2020, 15:40
1. : Is anybody reading this, or has been, in a similar situation? What would be your course of action?

Do nothing and hope that your company come good and all this turns out to simply be a delay.

2.: Is it true, that in order to qualify for the CPL skill test, I "only" need to make up the required PIC flight hours (in my case about 25h)? Can these hours be flown in SEP?

You can do the CPL in a SEP. The problem is every MPL that I have come across is at best SEP solo standard only. Not even PPL test standard so it isn’t going to be cheap. Then the other problem is the CPL is nigh on useless without an IR and getting test ready for will cost you even more.

Sadly this is what happens when you are sold a lemon.

VariablePitchP
29th Mar 2020, 15:47
Dear fellows,

My story is one of many individual fates in the industry these days.
For the past two years, I have been enrolled in an airline ab inition programme at a major european carrier. Our class sucessfully finished the type rating course up to the skill test, still missing base training in the actual aircraft, when everything stopped due to Corona. Due to the recent developements in the crisis, flight ops as well as training at my airline obviously has been suspended for an undefined time, but at the moment some of us have been told that we would be looking at no continuation until next year, not taking into account the chance of the operator ceasing operations permanently.
So I am looking at alternatives to complete my license, maybe to the degree of CPL. I am also holding an EASA PPL(A).

Reading through EASA PART-FCL, I still have some open questions regarding the interpretation of this document, and maybe you have answers to them:

1.: Is anybody reading this, or has been, in a similar situation? What would be your course of action?
3.: Regarding the TR: Can the base training be completed in a Level D FFS instead of the actual aeroplane? Looking at the training matrix, it seems to me that there is no explicit requirement for the landing training to take place in the actual aircraft (PART-FCL, page 1260, not allowed to post URLs here)

PART-FCL CPL Training Course, specific conditions for MPL holders
FCL.325.A CPL(A) — Specific conditions for MPL holders

Before exercising the privileges of a CPL(A), the holder of an MPL shall have completed in aeroplanes:

(a) 70 hours of flight time:

(1) as PIC; or

(2) made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and the additional flight time as PIC under supervision

(PICUS).

Of these 70 hours, 20 shall be of VFR cross-country flight time as PIC, or cross-country flight

time made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and 10 hours as PICUS. This shall include a VFR crosscountry

flight of at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full-stop landings at two

different aerodromes shall be flown as PIC;

(b) the elements of the CPL(A) modular course as specified in paragraphs 10(a) and 11 of Appendix 3,

E to this Part; and

(c) the CPL(A) skill test, in accordance with FCL.320.

PART-FCL appendix 5
Appendix 5 - Integrated MPL training course

GENERAL

1. The aim of the MPL integrated course is to train pilots to the level of proficiency necessary to

enable them to operate as co-pilot of a multi- engine multi-pilot turbine-powered air transport

aeroplane under VFR and IFR and to obtain an MPL.

2. Approval for an MPL training course shall only be given to an ATO that is part of a commercial air

transport operator certificated in accordance with Part-ORO or having a specific arrangement with

such an operator.

3. An applicant wishing to undertake an MPL integrated course shall complete all the instructional

stages in one continuous course of training at an ATO. The training shall be competency based and

conducted in a multi-crew operational environment.

4. Only ab-initio applicants shall be admitted to the course.

5. The course shall comprise:

(a) theoretical knowledge instruction to the ATPL(A) knowledge level;

(b) visual and instrument flying training;

(c) training in MCC for the operation of multi-pilot aeroplanes; and

(d) type rating training.

6. An applicant failing or unable to complete the entire MPL course may apply to the competent

authority for the theoretical knowledge examination and skill test for a licence with lower privileges

and an IR, if the applicable requirements are met.

THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE

7. An approved MPL theoretical knowledge course shall comprise at least 750 hours of instruction

for the ATPL(A) knowledge level, as well as the hours required for theoretical knowledge instruction

for the relevant type rating, in accordance with Subpart H.

FLYING TRAINING

8. The flying training shall comprise a total of at least 240 hours, composed of hours as PF and PNF,

in actual and simulated flight, and covering the following 4 phases of training:

Specific basic single-pilot training in an aeroplane.

(b) Phase 2 — Basic

Introduction of multi-crew operations and instrument flight.

Go back to Appendices

Go back to the content

1179 | P a g e

Application of multi-crew operations to a multi-engine turbine aeroplane certified as a high

performance aeroplane in accordance with Part-21.

(d) Phase 4 — Advanced

Type rating training within an airline oriented environment.

Flight experience in actual flight shall include all the experience requirements of Subpart H, upset

recovery training, night flying, flight solely by reference to instruments and the experience required

to achieve the relevant airmanship.

MCC requirements shall be incorporated into the relevant phases above.

Training in asymmetric flight shall be given either in an aeroplane or an FFS.

9. Each phase of training in the flight instruction syllabus shall be composed of both instruction in

the underpinning knowledge and in practical training segments.

10. The training course shall include a continuous evaluation process of the training syllabus and a

continuous assessment of the students following the syllabus. Evaluation shall ensure that:

(a) the competencies and related assessment are relevant to the task of a co- pilot of a multi-pilot

aeroplane; and

(b) the students acquire the necessary competencies in a progressive and satisfactory manner.

11. The training course shall include at least 12 take-offs and landings to ensure competency. These

take-offs and landings shall be performed under the supervision of an instructor in an aeroplane for

which the type rating shall be issued.

ASSESSMENT LEVEL

12. The applicant for the MPL shall have demonstrated performance in all 9 competency units

specified in paragraph 13 below, at the advanced level of competency required to operate and

interact as a co-pilot in a turbine-powered multi-pilot aeroplane, under visual and instrument

conditions. Assessment shall confirm that control of the aeroplane or situation is maintained at all

times, to ensure the successful outcome of a procedure or manoeuvre. The applicant shall

consistently demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the safe operation of the

applicable aeroplane type, in accordance with the MPL performance criteria.

COMPETENCY UNITS

13. The applicant shall demonstrate competency in the following 9 competency units:

(1) apply human performance principles, including principles of threat and error

management;

(2) perform aeroplane ground operations;

(3) perform take-off;

(4) perform climb;

Go back to Appendices

Go back to the content

1180 | P a g e

(5) perform cruise;

(6) perform descent;

(7) perform approach;

(8) perform landing; and

(9) perform after landing and aeroplane post-flight operations.

SIMULATED FLIGHT

14. Minimum requirements for FSTDs:

E-training and part tasking devices approved by the competent authority that have the following

characteristics:

— involve accessories beyond those normally associated with desktop computers, such as functional

replicas of a throttle quadrant, a side- stick controller, or an FMS keypad, and

— involve psychomotor activity with appropriate application of force and timing of responses.

(b) Phase 2 — Basic

An FNPT II MCC that represents a generic multi-engine turbine-powered aeroplane.

An FSTD that represents a multi-engine turbine-powered aeroplane required to be operated with a

co-pilot and qualified to an equivalent standard to level B, additionally including:

— a daylight/twilight/night visual system continuous cross-cockpit minimum collimated visual field

of view providing each pilot with 180° horizontal and 40° vertical field of view, and

— ATC environment simulation.

(d) Phase 4 — Advanced

An FFS which is fully equivalent to level D or level C with an enhanced daylight visual system,

including ATC environment simulation.

Looking forward to read your opinions and stories.

Kind regards

Hi, this really does suck to hear. It’s not a reason not to do an MPL, as no doubt many people will be attacking you for before long, how could anyone have possible forseen this? You’d not be in a much better position with a CPL/ATPL anyway. There are no jobs.

Regarding the type rating, would be helpful to know the airline. Can guarantee you won’t get sacked for saying ‘easyjet’ or ‘wizzair’, or at least what type of aircraft it will be, are we talking turboprops or jets?

Assuming it’s a 320, you have to do base training in the real aircraft. Once you have 500 hours or 100 sectors in a multi pilot jet aircraft over 10 tonnes, any future type ratings can be done as ‘zero flight time’. Zero flight time meaning it can all be done in a sim. Hence airline joining requirements are often 500 hours or 100 sectors, for the very reason that they can put you through ZFT training. It’s 12 circuits for MPL students and 6 for ATPLs, just another difference between the two licence types.

This link is a bit light on detail and I’ve never heard of the place, but it does have the requirements https://www.dentoaviation.com/zero-flight-time-training-zftt

Just be careful ripping up your MPL to get a CPL, there’s no jobs anyway so won’t necessarily help before your original airline can have you back.

Since you’re talking about essentially becoming modular, you’ll need 200 hours of flying, and need to get a multi engine instrument rating. Then a JOC and MCC as well as UPRT. A CPL is pretty much worthless unless you want to tow banners, your plan (to presumably fly jets still) needs a frozen ATPL.

I’m assuming you’ve spent six to eight months in a simulator as part of the MPL? You’re wasting all of that if you go this way and given MPLs cost about £100k, you’ll need to accept you’re writing off about half of that amount as having been wasted.

I’d wait a bit longer if I were you...!

covec
30th Mar 2020, 12:21
I’m using my CPL alongside an FI Rating. Brings in a fair income...or did...

Platypus
7th Apr 2020, 16:31
Hello there and thanks for Your reply, I appreciate the information you are sharing!

VariablePitchP

Regarding the type rating, would be helpful to know the airline. Can guarantee you won’t get sacked for saying ‘easyjet’ or ‘wizzair’, or at least what type of aircraft it will be, are we talking turboprops or jets?

A320 it is, and regarding the company I'll just say that it's a/the flag carrier of Austria... ;) I just don't want to post specific names here.

Since you’re talking about essentially becoming modular, you’ll need 200 hours of flying, and need to get a multi engine instrument rating. Then a JOC and MCC as well as UPRT. A CPL is pretty much worthless unless you want to tow banners, your plan (to presumably fly jets still) needs a frozen ATPL.

I am not really after flying big jets, I just want to earn money by flying. So I'd be more than happy to work in air ambulance, calibration services, corporate aviation...
The problem is that my future-employer (hopefully) is not even certain about whether if they will pick up training again. And if they do, we already have been told that we are looking at waiting periods in the order of YEARS. My theoretical examination will expire in 2022, so I want to plan ahead and look into options of gaining a license myself, so that the past 2.5 years of training were not completely worthless. That's how I came across the idea of getting a CPL.
Regarding the MCC and UPRT, we have done about 4:00h UPRT in SEP aswell as 4:00h in FFS A320, maybe it can be credited?

I’m assuming you’ve spent six to eight months in a simulator as part of the MPL? You’re wasting all of that if you go this way and given MPLs cost about £100k, you’ll need to accept you’re writing off about half of that amount as having been wasted.

I won't post numbers, but our training bond is way below £100.000, in fact it might even get waived due to how our training contract is built...

Do I necessarily already have to be a MPL holder in order for my training hours to be credited?

Mickey Kaye
7th Apr 2020, 19:11
How about add and SEP rating to your MPL. Get 200 hours TT, 150PIC and 10 hours on instruments the do an FI rating. You have ATPL TK passes which is handy.

portsharbourflyer
8th Apr 2020, 21:35
Refer to Easy Access rules https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Easy_Access_Rules_for_Aircrew.pdf

FCL.325.A CPL(A) – Specific conditions for MPL holders Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011
(a) 70 hours of flight time: (1) as PIC; or (2) made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and the additional flight time as PIC under supervision (PICUS).
Of these 70 hours, 20 shall be of VFR cross-country flight time as PIC, or cross-country flight time made up of at least 10 hours as PIC and 10 hours as PICUS.
This shall include a VFR cross country flight of at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full-stop landings at two different aerodromes shall be flown as PIC; (b) the elements of the CPL(A) modular course as specified in paragraphs 10(a) and 11 of Appendix 3, E to this Part; and (c) the CPL(A) skill test, in accordance wit
h FCL.320.

FCL.405.A MPL – Privileges Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 (a)
The privileges of the holder of an MPL are to act as co-pilot in an aeroplane required to be operated with a co-pilot. (b) The holder of an MPL may obtain the extra privileges of: (1) the holder of a PPL(A), provided that the requirements for the PPL(A) specified in Subpart C are met; (2) a CPL(A), provided that the requirements specified in FCL.325.A are met. (c) The holder of an MPL shall have the privileges of his/her IR(A) limited to aeroplanes required to be operated with a co-pilot. The privileges of the IR(A) may be extended to single-pilot operations in aeroplanes, provided that the licence holder has completed the training necessary to act as PIC in single-pilot operations exercised solely by reference to instruments and passed the skill test of the IR(A) as a single-pilot

flybyschool
14th Apr 2020, 21:38
Very interesting!

If I read it correctly, There is a conversion from MPL holder to CPL... but he would need to be an MPL holder.
In this particular case, the question would be... is he an MPL holder without completing the TR? (I assume the base training is mandatory to complete the TR and therefore, if not completed, the TR is not completed)
If he is... then you can follow the information provided above.

But what if he is not? Can you jump / transfer from a partly completed MPL to any other type of training (modular or integrated)? I am very interested in learning the answer to this question

parkfell
15th Apr 2020, 08:53
Very interesting!

If I read it correctly, There is a conversion from MPL holder to CPL... but he would need to be an MPL holder.
In this particular case, the question would be... is he an MPL holder without completing the TR? (I assume the base training is mandatory to complete the TR and therefore, if not completed, the TR is not completed)
If he is... then you can follow the information provided above.

But what if he is not? Can you jump / transfer from a partly completed MPL to any other type of training (modular or integrated)? I am very interested in learning the answer to this question

I believe the MPL is capable of being issued once the MP type rating (phase 4) which includes the base training is completed. Must be issued prior to line training.
Irrespective of whether the MPL is issued or not, there is clearly a shortfall in both SE/ME experience and testing as SP which needs to be bridged for CPL/IR issue.

No doubt a cosy chat with your Regulator is recommended before attempting this conversion.