PDA

View Full Version : Dual Training and Checks in GA under Government Decrees during Covid19

chance
29th Mar 2020, 05:39
Its hard to see how flight training schools can continue to do dual training and check flights under the Government COVID 19 decrees. The GA training fleet are mainly small aircraft of 2-4 seats side by side with the sometimes 6 seater twins and a small number of tandems seat 2 seaters.
Solo training and solo private or with a rear seat passenger on private flights may still be viable.
All bad news for the flight training industry without assistance from Government and if the can offer $300M to help the Regionals then maybe some lobbying could help the training industry as the monthly aircraft and equipment leases will still be due, rent to be paid and staff to be kept on to maintain an AOC..

Capt Fathom
29th Mar 2020, 06:42
Everyone back into the Tiger Moth then!

Styx75
29th Mar 2020, 08:52
Scotty from marketing hasn't said anything to ban flight training yet. Tonight's new rules allow people to go out for work (instructors) or education (students).

I'd say schools will need to put in fairly robust policies and procedures to manage the covid19 risk if they wish to stay open.

Horatio Leafblower
29th Mar 2020, 09:46
There has been a lot of sharing between schools of protocols and precautions. Everyone is trying to do their best without retrenching staff or disrupting students training.

Sunfish
29th Mar 2020, 09:58
Wondering if my training can continue,

Dora-9
29th Mar 2020, 10:44
Everyone back into the Tiger Moth then!

Can the Covid-19 bug survive an 80 kt gale?

Capt Fathom
29th Mar 2020, 10:47
Can the Covid-19 bug survive an 80 kt gale?
I bags the front seat :E

Dora-9
29th Mar 2020, 19:39
I bags the front seat

My thoughts exactly!

aroa
29th Mar 2020, 22:09
OK since the front seat is taken, I;ll take the back.
Then we can run thru some training with steep turns, limit turns, stalls and spinning, engine shut downs in flight and restarts, side slipping and forced landings right onto the ground. Plus a few blats around the flats at dot feet to show the effects of wind in the perceptions of turning at low level. It was fun then, and still is...if it still allowed. NOT of course, in the name of "safety"
And for the front seater...No spitting overboard !

Slippery_Pete
30th Mar 2020, 02:13
Wondering if my training can continue,

Don’t bother. You can’t fill a cup that’s already full.

12-47
30th Mar 2020, 03:01
I'd say schools will need to put in fairly robust policies and procedures to manage the covid19 risk if they wish to stay open.

You mean like one of them who filled sanitiser bottles with water?! Who's going to stop them?

Styx75
30th Mar 2020, 03:34
You mean like one of them who filled sanitiser bottles with water?! Who's going to stop them?
Yeah you're right, the fed and state governments haven't shut down any businesses and won't in the future.

Horatio Leafblower
30th Mar 2020, 06:10
You mean like one of them who filled sanitiser bottles with water?!

What's that quote? Something along the lines of "Integrity is doing what's right, even when nobody's watching"

If that's their chosen action in response to the current circumstances, one wonders about their training records, instructor recency, pay rates and entitlements, accounting....

harrryw
30th Mar 2020, 08:44
Of course you would have to make sure the front seat does not give a technicolour yawn just as you initiate the second loop....like an old instructor of mine used to whenever we did steep turns.

mikewil
30th Mar 2020, 08:53
Just saw this on the Wrightsair facebook page:

"WRIGHTSAIR PUBLIC NOTICE - COVID-19Unfortunately due to the current situation surrounding COVID-19, following the advice from the Australian Government, Wrightsair will cease all non-essential flying until further notice."

I know they aren't a flying school, but what advice could this one GA operator have received from the government that has lead to them to suspending their operation but many other operators (including GA flying schools) continue to operate :confused:

Lead Balloon
30th Mar 2020, 09:01
Errrmm... Perhaps Wrightsair’s ’bread and butter’ is sight-seeing flights with more than 2 punters squashed into a 206/Airvan sized aircraft. Hardly 1.5 metre social distancing. And the punters on the Oodnadatta track come from all sort of exotic places.

And note that the page you quoted does not say what your bolded post title says. (Wag finger emoji)

mikewil
30th Mar 2020, 09:16
And note that the page you quoted does not say what your bolded post title says. (Wag finger emoji)

my bad - all fixed

Lead Balloon
30th Mar 2020, 09:24
I do tire of adults who think saying “my bad” is exculpatory. Your name isn’t “Stuart Robert” by any chance?

Trev’s mob does a lot of good work that doesn’t involve the carriage of punters.

mikewil
30th Mar 2020, 09:41
I do tire of adults who think saying “my bad” is exculpatory. Your name isn’t “Stuart Robert” by any chance?

Trev’s mob does a lot of good work that doesn’t involve the carriage of punters.

Fair point on the gutter lingo.

I do realise that he does do a fair amount of non tourist charter work. Not sure how they would deaw the line between essential and non essential given the variety in their work.

andrewr
30th Mar 2020, 10:36
Dual training at the moment is very unwise. If you have an ill student, the instructor is very likely to catch it and spread it to subsequent students.

Apart from the risk to students and instructors (do you lose your medical if you have lung damage?) and the issue of safe workplaces, this sort of spread could easily add 2-3 weeks to the lock down of the rest of the economy.

From my understanding of the government announcements today, you can probably stop flying altogether and the government will pay you to pay your instructors $1500/fortnight to sit at home and study for their next rating.

Okihara
30th Mar 2020, 11:53
Dual training at the moment is very unwise. If you have an ill student, the instructor is very likely to catch it and spread it to subsequent students.

Apart from the risk to students and instructors (do you lose your medical if you have lung damage?) and the issue of safe workplaces, this sort of spread could easily add 2-3 weeks to the lock down of the rest of the economy.

From my understanding of the government announcements today, you can probably stop flying altogether and the government will pay you to pay your instructors $1500/fortnight to sit at home and study for their next rating.

Plus the requirement to report your health status to CASA if you hold a class 1 and are unfit for more than 7 days. The risk is not worth the reward.

mikewil
30th Mar 2020, 12:13

That is true, but it won't pay for the revenue (profits) lost as a result of having many aeroplanes (30+ in the case of the larger sausage factories) parked on the apron for the next 6 months. The owners want more than to just be able to pay their instructors so I doubt this will give any of them sufficient reason to suspend their dual operations unless mandated to do so.

covec
30th Mar 2020, 12:33
Our School has shut as has the adjacent School at a nearby regional airport. Said airport forbids GA flying now tfn.

Squawk7700
2nd Apr 2020, 01:03
Our School has shut as has the adjacent School at a nearby regional airport. Said airport forbids GA flying now tfn.

That sounds like a law suit in the making!

josephfeatherweight
2nd Apr 2020, 01:31
Covec - do you mean here in Aus or in the UK? (which is what your location appears to be on PPRUNE...)

kaz3g
2nd Apr 2020, 03:08
What if I take the doors off the Auster?

Squawk7700
2nd Apr 2020, 03:28
All driving instructors must now use convertible cars.

Guptar
2nd Apr 2020, 21:10
If you have your own aircraft, on your own farm strip. Is it still permissible to to go flying solo to do some air exercises above your own property.

Squawk7700
2nd Apr 2020, 21:46
If you have your own aircraft, on your own farm strip. Is it still permissible to to go flying solo to do some air exercises above your own property.

Is that for “work” such as checking stock and trough levels....? (Wink, wink)

aroa
2nd Apr 2020, 22:45
kaz..you'll get very cold and dust in yr eyes when you take off...if you dont close them for that bit.
harry w.. never had one to that stage but I did have an instructor that used to discard his phlem over the side quite often. Getting to the opposite side in time was the tricky bit. If you heard a warning 'hoick' in the gosport tube, ,,,get ready !!
And if you have yr own aircraft and go flying solo, checking yr propery. or whatever..what is the medical problem? That the fences not down, windmill not broken, dams full,,, essential business for the farmer.
Air ag going gang busters around here at present, protecting crops etc..

Super Cecil
2nd Apr 2020, 23:32
All driving instructors must now use convertible cars.
Redundant, they usually drive convertibles with pilot ray-bans to keep the bugs out. That's not breakfast in their teeth when they smile it's bugs.