PDA

View Full Version : DVI to display port query

Brewster Buffalo
27th Mar 2020, 12:58
Hi
I need to connect my new computer to my new monitor using the computer's DVI-D socket on its video card to the display port on the monitor.
I've been advised that this isn't possible but was wondering whether anyone out there knew of any work around??
TIA
BB

PJD1
27th Mar 2020, 13:44
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DVI-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B077FYJTDL

Saab Dastard
27th Mar 2020, 18:19
It's trivial to use a passive cable to pass DisplayPort output from a video source to a DVI input on a monitor (I have one myself to connect a laptop docking station to a KVM switch to a DVI monitor input). However, these cables are NOT bidirectional, and you need an active converter (such as that suggested by PJD1) to achieve the necessary signal conversion from DVI output to DisplayPort input.

Still, it's cheaper than a new graphics card, or monitor! Although I have no great faith in these active devices working reliably over long periods.

SD

Brewster Buffalo
30th Mar 2020, 15:06
Thanks for the replies.. Am I right in thinking there is no particular difference in quality beyween using the display port or the HDMI input when connecting the video card to the monitor?

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2020, 17:49
For most practical purposes you are right. However, it would seem that there's a greater range - and lower price - of products claiming to be bi-directional DVI-D to HDMI than for DVI-D to DisplayPort, which might influence your decision!

SD