PDA

View Full Version : Working on an Q400 amateur simulation... best place to ask about systems?

Delta_Who
26th Mar 2020, 18:38
Firstly, I have no idea if this is even the correct place to post, so if its inappropiate, excuse me and feel free to move/delete.

Working with a group to bring an amateur simulation of the Dash-8 to the X-plane platform. I was wondering if there is anyone who could enlighten us on certain aspects and quirks of the aircraft (which is surprisingly limited beyond what you can source online).
Details such as :

Electrial display quirks
EFIS self-test logic and video footage
Colour information for the UNS-1
HGS input and behavior

And probably a bit more. If you want to preserve privacy... or if you want to know more about our intentions. Thanks in advance!

Uplinker
19th Apr 2020, 10:08
In a moment of stupidity some years ago, I threw out all my Q400 notes, thinking I would not need them again. Sorry.

Delta_Who
19th Apr 2020, 14:35
In a moment of stupidity some years ago, I threw out all my Q400 notes, thinking I would not need them again. Sorry.

No worries. :)

Chesty Morgan
20th Apr 2020, 07:06
There are several hundred ex Flybe pilots hanging around who might be interested. Try the Flybe thread or forum.

+TSRA
26th Apr 2020, 03:14
Electrial display quirks

Not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean the ELEC page? If so, there are no real "quirks" other than the airplane really doesn't like being below 27.5 volts, and the batteries will show an indication of a discharge almost every time you have a GPU putting out less than that. The electrical system is also quite slow to recharge the batteries if you start off a GPU less than about 26.5 volts, about 10 to 12 minutes to get below the 0.1 take-off requirement.

EFIS self-test logic and video footage

It shows a big green "T" in the centre of the screen. Video of this would be very boring. It would go from a black screen, big old green T for about 10 seconds, and then the applicable display would turn on (PFD, MFD, ED). There is a difference of what data will show depending on which screens were turned on (e.g., do you only have one MFD turned on, an MFD and the ED, or any other combination thereof). That's generally well explained in the Bombardier AOM if you have access to it.

Colour information for the UNS-1

By this do you mean when does the UNS display magenta, blue, white, that sort of thing?

If so, then Blue = procedural headings and temperature corrections, magenta is only used for the current direct to waypoint, amber is used for warning messages, green is used for previously read but still valid messages as well as input field data tags, and white is used for nearly everything else. There is a brown colour used on the NAV page for the borders. That's all off the top of my head.

HGS input and behavior

This I can't help with as our fleet doesn't have an HGS installed - it's optional equipment from Bombardier.

Feel free to PM with any other questions - I've been flying and teaching on the Classic Dash and Q4 for the last 8 years.

steven938
29th Apr 2020, 12:36
If you need any info ask quickly. I work on the level D sim still located at the Flybe Learning Centre in Exeter and unless a real, confirmed buyer comes forward soon, it will be gone back to the States or wherever else FlightSafety deems it usable.

Or if you've got a spare few million tucked away, put in an offer. Technicians can be negotiated (grin).