PDA

View Full Version : What ATO's are Training

50North
26th Mar 2020, 11:17
Curious to see what if any ATO's are undertaking any training at the moment due to Covid-19.
I see that L3 are still flying, G-CTCB, G-CTSA, G-CTSM and G-CTSX on flightradar24 at the moment. Perhaps they are thinking out the box and have come up with a novel idea relating to the 2 metre rule.
Anybody else training?

ZFT
26th Mar 2020, 11:45
Curious to see what if any ATO's are undertaking any training at the moment due to Covid-19.
I see that L3 are still flying, G-CTCB, G-CTSA, G-CTSM and G-CTSX on flightradar24 at the moment. Perhaps they are thinking out the box and have come up with a novel idea relating to the 2 metre rule.
Anybody else training?

Solo flights?

OutsideCAS
26th Mar 2020, 12:35
Any ATO still flying in simulators is surely reckless at best given current conditions?? it is not essential as there are options to extend validity periods to cover the effects of the COVID-19 crisis. This risks further extending the lock-down as it means peopel are sitting in small boxes with close proximity and no idea of the possible outcomes to them or people they pass going forward. Why take the risk?.

therapist
26th Mar 2020, 15:25
Anybody else training?
The majority of L3 instructors are appalled at the attitude of the management towards staff and students alike. This will be reflected in the schools ability to attract future students. Skyborne here we come!

VariablePitchP
26th Mar 2020, 16:03
The majority of L3 instructors are appalled at the attitude of the management towards staff and students alike. This will be reflected in the schools ability to attract future students. Skyborne here we come!

They’ve treated their students like dirt and with utter contempt for years, won’t change anything sadly...

planesandthings
26th Mar 2020, 19:12
I believe just L3. All the other large names have done the right thing. The attitude of L3 management is appalling and should be publicly named and shamed.

50North
27th Mar 2020, 10:12
How can these aircraft still be flying?
G-CTCB DA-42, G-LHXB DA-42, G-CTSS DA-40, G-CTSE DA-40, G-CTSB DA-40

What is wrong with the Instructors and students? Do you not know what is going on in the outside world?

If management are reading this, you are absolute morons. (but then it is an American company and the US will be open for business by Easter).
Come on Instructors, enough is enough.

Grow some Cahoonas!!

jon01
27th Mar 2020, 13:25
How can these aircraft still be flying?
G-CTCB DA-42, G-LHXB DA-42, G-CTSS DA-40, G-CTSE DA-40, G-CTSB DA-40

What is wrong with the Instructors and students? Do you not know what is going on in the outside world?

If management are reading this, you are absolute morons. (but then it is an American company and the US will be open for business by Easter).
Come on Instructors, enough is enough.

Grow some Cahoonas!!

It doesn't help that Cranfield Airport are open to all with no restrictions, except for ATC breaks. Surely the airport should NOTAM open to only essential flying or just close completely, like all other UK GA sites! These L3 airports and those they do approaches at are almost encouraging flying activities by staying open to all, which is against the government rules. If there is an accident, the people who authorised this activity will be in big trouble

blue up
27th Mar 2020, 14:18
Cardiff shut the Sims down a full week ago due to concerns for some of the more elderly staff.

ZFT
27th Mar 2020, 14:29
Cardiff shut the Sims down a full week ago due to concerns for some of the more elderly staff.

That's no way to talk about Bruce!

shorehamite
27th Mar 2020, 16:12
I was wondering about the effects of sitting around doing nothing would have on the engine, surely a 30 minute flight weekly would be ok.

50North
27th Mar 2020, 16:44
Doesn't matter about the Staff, Instructors, Students, Operations who you get the keys from, as long as the engine is ok!
Well spoken, do you work for L3 management by any chance?

shorehamite
29th Mar 2020, 10:18
its a private aeroplane, no one else is anywhere near it.

50North
29th Mar 2020, 13:23
The question for discussion was:

What ATO's are Training?

planesandthings
30th Mar 2020, 14:29
No ATOs are now training in the UK. L3 finally made the right decision.

Worth noting that a few people are mentioning the poor treatment of L3 cadets in New Zealand on Twitter. There was a plan to repatriate some cadets with UK FCO saying all nationals to return home if possible, think L3 found it unaffordable despite their big profit margins, instead now clearways is packed with 150+ cadets all sharing facilities. Is that worth £100k+?

Alex Whittingham
30th Mar 2020, 21:56
You might find that L3's profit margins are not as big as you think, and this might explain them continuing to fly when everybody else had taken the gypsy's warning. CTC was making a loss when it was sold and subsequent management do not, to an outsider, seem to have addressed this. The CEO of their flight training division has been moved sideways into a room with only one exit, they have enabled all of their competitors by laying off IR business that they couldn't handle and then there's the VAT question to answer about the 'training bonds', a question which I am told has a £60M answer. But who knows, one often hears rumours without substance. The board will know.... Might just be 'watch this space'.....

wiggy
30th Mar 2020, 22:54
Alex

Having worked at another organisation for/with a couple of the senior wheels at L3 I am not the least bit surprised by your comments....

BTW good luck riding out the current downturn.

SPDBRD1
31st Mar 2020, 07:04
No ATOs are now training in the UK. L3 finally made the right decision.

Worth noting that a few people are mentioning the poor treatment of L3 cadets in New Zealand on Twitter. There was a plan to repatriate some cadets with UK FCO saying all nationals to return home if possible, think L3 found it unaffordable despite their big profit margins, instead now clearways is packed with 150+ cadets all sharing facilities. Is that worth £100k+?

As one of the cadets currently out here in NZ, we are actually being well looked after. Initially we were having to repatriate as it was uncertain whether Clearways was allowed to stay open and so we would have no place to stay in NZ. Once it was confirmed by the NZ government that Clearways was an essential part of the business, site staff were then allowed to work on site which means we could stay here. I'd say the management out here in NZ have done their very best to look after us in what was a fast moving situation. L3 in the UK on the other hand should be ashamed of themselves for staying open.

flybyschool
31st Mar 2020, 08:05
Good morning

We are only performing basic maintenance which includes running the engines for a small amount of time every week we are closed due to Covid.
I personally don't think it is a good idea to gl flying, specially with students, in the current circumstances... but I can only speak for my school

Stay safe!
Alex

flybyschool
31st Mar 2020, 08:08
Good reminder

I don't know fo any ATO operating as of 31 March. There are many that we still operate distance learning but no lessons in a classroom nor flights.
Hopefully, this will go away "soon"

Regards
Alex

planesandthings
31st Mar 2020, 14:09
As one of the cadets currently out here in NZ, we are actually being well looked after. Initially we were having to repatriate as it was uncertain whether Clearways was allowed to stay open and so we would have no place to stay in NZ. Once it was confirmed by the NZ government that Clearways was an essential part of the business, site staff were then allowed to work on site which means we could stay here. I'd say the management out here in NZ have done their very best to look after us in what was a fast moving situation. L3 in the UK on the other hand should be ashamed of themselves for staying open.

Might be good for you, but different to what I'm hearing from some of your fellow cadets who had just finished their NZ part of the training and who have been discussing it on twitter, L3 took a commercial decision not to repatriate them when they were due to because of cost. Instead they must now wait it out. I guess there's no rush as there won't be jobs for some time yet, however I'd much rather not be paying in NZD!

student88
1st Apr 2020, 00:28
For the benefit of those I've seen flying light aircraft over the last few days:Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

FLYING A PA28/C152 IS NOT ESSENTIAL!

SPDBRD1
1st Apr 2020, 06:16
Might be good for you, but different to what I'm hearing from some of your fellow cadets who had just finished their NZ part of the training and who have been discussing it on twitter, L3 took a commercial decision not to repatriate them when they were due to because of cost. Instead they must now wait it out. I guess there's no rush as there won't be jobs for some time yet, however I'd much rather not be paying in NZD!

Nothing to do with cost. Simply not enough seats on the flights that were available when the news came out. We have not been told it was due to cost so if that is being said then that is someone making up a story. I looked at getting home by my own way (prior to flights starting again and borders reopening) and flight costs of £5,000+ and 2 weeks away was all that was available. Yes, there were cadets who were meant to finish their CPL within the next week to 10 days, but unfortunately the lockdown happened when it happened. You might be hearing it on twitter, but what you hear on twitter is usually a rant. We don't pay in NZD, we pay in GBP.

VariablePitchP
1st Apr 2020, 09:13
Nothing to do with cost. Simply not enough seats on the flights that were available when the news came out. We have not been told it was due to cost so if that is being said then that is someone making up a story. I looked at getting home by my own way (prior to flights starting again and borders reopening) and flight costs of £5,000+ and 2 weeks away was all that was available. Yes, there were cadets who were meant to finish their CPL within the next week to 10 days, but unfortunately the lockdown happened when it happened. You might be hearing it on twitter, but what you hear on twitter is usually a rant. We don't pay in NZD, we pay in GBP.

Of course you haven’t been told it’s due to cost. I bet they also still tell you the physical and mental well-being of their students is their number one priority :D

It’s L3... It was 100%, categorically, without question due to cost...

When I was there Pak ‘n’ Save didn’t accept GBP so you’re probably paying in NZD...