PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Loved Biz Jets

Akrotiri bad boy
25th Mar 2020, 13:01
I've been scanning the Aviation-Safety web site for some time and noticed a trend towards first generation biz jets having unusual "accidents". The latest to fall victim is a 1970 era HS125 found abandoned with engines running on a Guatemalan road. Over the last few months there's been similar reports concerning Gulfstream II's, Lear Jets, Citations; all first generation biz jets. Obviously these aircraft are at the tail end of their useful life but there must still be a significant cost in purchasing one, my question is; how much? I'm aware that profit margins in certain commodities can be quite excessive but a biz jet still seems to be an expensive throw away item.:confused:

EatMyShorts!
25th Mar 2020, 13:37
No, these things are cheap, compared to the potential profit you can make with a single drug- and cash-run.

Down in front
25th Mar 2020, 14:39
Can't imagine they pay much attention to service bulletins, AD's, Checks etc before launching them either - so probably can be picked up at a hefty discount

Aso
25th Mar 2020, 15:10
Cost of the metal plus a little bit for the glue...

Down in front is right: it is the SB, AD's etc that make them uneconomical to operate and great drug runners for flights that only have to land once...

Office Update
19th Apr 2020, 13:43
Importantly for these "one flight" operators. - No crew training and recurrent costs, just hop in and go!

Tray Surfer
19th Apr 2020, 14:42
A Hawker 800 of late 80's or early 90's vintage can be had for about $700k... So, compared to the profit from how much you can pack into one of these, I think it would be seen as a worthwhile disposable asset.