PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 Recruiting

finningleyprince
24th Mar 2020, 14:10
Has phase 1 training been closed down yet? If so, does anyone know what will happen to those in training, and if the next intakes are automatically paused to avoid the extra risks with youngsters all crammed in together?

muppetofthenorth
24th Mar 2020, 14:53
Has phase 1 training been closed down yet? If so, does anyone know what will happen to those in training, and if the next intakes are automatically paused to avoid the extra risks with youngsters all crammed in together?
RAF recruitment bods posted this on other sites a few days ago, the situation may have changed since then, though;

"If you have submitted an application

You will be notified via your candidate portal once it has been processed.

If you are already in the application process

Your AFCO/Recruiter will get in touch with you via your candidate portal, email or by telephone to give you more information and tell you which stages of the process you can still attend.
Please keep your candidate diary as up-to-date as possible, so we can check when you’re available.

Applications

We are not carrying out face-to-face interviews, but we are looking into alternative options.
We are not currently carrying out Airmen Selection Tests (AST).
We are not currently carrying out the Computer Based Aptitude Tests (CBAT) or Officer & Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC) dates.
We are not carrying out fitness tests.
We will be carrying out Medicals for those at that stage of the process. But this may change in the near future.
Pre-Recruit Familiarization Visits are no longer taking place.
Phase One Training dates are currently still valid, but this may also change in the near future."

NavyNav2
25th Mar 2020, 12:38
As of this morning I understand IOT is still running albeit cadets are undertaking most of their 'training' online from their rooms in the respective messes. I also hear that they are allowed out for PT albeit with the social distancing rules in place. I am pretty sure that this will be under constant review - not sure how this will work for the field exercises though.

Sandy Parts
25th Mar 2020, 16:30
From memory, the pine poles were over 2m long so 1 cadet each end and rules met!

finningleyprince
25th Mar 2020, 20:45
Is one of the training bases in lock down tonight? Can't believe it could happen!!

Easy Street
25th Mar 2020, 21:26
Is one of the training bases in lock down tonight? Can't believe it's happened!!

I don't know. But don't be hyperbolic. The whole country is meant to be in lock down. So what if a base has locked down?

Think about how a Phase 1 training centre might cope with an outbreak. If it closed then all the trainees would have to go home. Bear in mind that recruits typically share bedrooms and ablutions; you'd be sending hundreds of potential asymptomatic carriers to all corners of the country, presumably to their parents' homes, spreading the virus to the vulnerable population. Great move, and to cap it off, any recruits without a home to go to would generate the same kind of publicity for MOD as the evicted workers did for Brittania Hotels. Meanwhile if the base treats itself as one large household and applies the 14-day isolation rule, isolating symptomatic individuals from the rest of the 'householders' while keeping everyone confined to camp, then it keeps the virus contained in a low-risk population, many of whom may already be infected anyway when the first symptoms appear thanks to the close living quarters.

Personally I think it would be grossly negligent to do anything but lock down in such an instance.

Wrathmonk
25th Mar 2020, 21:34
you'd be sending hundreds of potential asymptomatic carriers to all corners of the country, presumably to their parents' homes, spreading the virus to the vulnerable population

You mean like what many universities have done in the last week or two....

Easy Street
25th Mar 2020, 22:41
You mean like what many universities have done in the last week or two....

Indeed. But spreading the virus now carries even greater risk than it did 2 weeks ago because any severe cases resulting from new contacts will need hospitalization near the presumed peak of demand in 3 weeks' time, so a different approach is justifiable. The presence of military medical services is another good reason to keep cases on camp where they can be monitored rather than adding to the burden on the NHS. The universities didn't have that.

finningleyprince
26th Mar 2020, 08:17
I don't know. But don't be hyperbolic. The whole country is meant to be in lock down. So what if a base has locked down?

Think about how a Phase 1 training centre might cope with an outbreak. If it closed then all the trainees would have to go home. Bear in mind that recruits typically share bedrooms and ablutions; you'd be sending hundreds of potential asymptomatic carriers to all corners of the country, presumably to their parents' homes, spreading the virus to the vulnerable population. Great move, and to cap it off, any recruits without a home to go to would generate the same kind of publicity for MOD as the evicted workers did for Brittania Hotels. Meanwhile if the base treats itself as one large household and applies the 14-day isolation rule, isolating symptomatic individuals from the rest of the 'householders' while keeping everyone confined to camp, then it keeps the virus contained in a low-risk population, many of whom may already be infected anyway when the first symptoms appear thanks to the close living quarters.

Personally I think it would be grossly negligent to do anything but lock down in such an instance.

Wow, I thought I was reading a sensationalist Red Top when I started reading. Your opinion is appreciated, but perhaps not quite as much as you appreciate it.

So the universities got ahead of the game, that's an interesting one!
Are you saying it is too late now, with the peak expected in just short of a month's time?
It's a good job at pass out/ graduation time they can leave their bases, as they're now immune.
Don't worry about the soft side of things, they aren't worried about parents and grandparents!
As for the homeless piece of nonsense you spout, not everyone has family in this country, so I'm pretty sure a 'family' of such people could use a quarter, or spread out in the newly vacated accommodation? As citizens they can use the shops, you know.
You seem to be living in the days of the Raj. I don't think there are masses of people to run round to each dorm/ room/ hut and take food orders. A logistical nightmare you fail to see.
Single parent tutors, or instructors confined to bases? It's great that you can solve that one for 14 days for what could be a large number of staff! Luckily that family of their's is so close, and has the money to feed them.

Personally, I don't think you are cognisant of the bigger picture with the many moving parts. Binary does not work when it comes to people.

Do you know if an asymptomatic host can still infect? Imagine getting to day 14 and Smith is the last to catch it, Smith is then let out. It could be as random as that.

Like you, I don't know if that base is in lock down by the way, I'd need to go towards the west of the country to see, but all my points are valid.

Easy Street
26th Mar 2020, 14:25
Are you saying it is too late now, with the peak expected in just short of a month's time?

Yes, that’s what I said. Anyone they infect now will need intensive care in about 3 weeks’ time if they develop a severe case.
It's a good job at pass out/ graduation time they can leave their bases, as they're now immune.
If 14 days has passed since the first person showed symptoms then yes, everyone who isn’t symptomatic can indeed leave.
As for the homeless piece of nonsense you spout, not everyone has family in this country, so I'm pretty sure a 'family' of such people could use a quarter, or spread out in the newly vacated accommodation?
So the cookhouse and other support facilities need to keep going under your plan, as they do under mine. That’s quite an overhead for a few ‘homeless’.
As citizens they can use the shops, you know.
Only for essentials needed to survive. Which they don’t need to do if they are being fed at the cookhouse. So they shouldn’t use the shops.
You seem to be living in the days of the Raj. I don't think there are masses of people to run round to each dorm/ room/ hut and take food orders. A logistical nightmare you fail to see.
For the vast majority of this age group, those with symptoms will be mobile and could eat in a segregated dining room and use segregated ablutions. Any bed-bound individuals would be in sick quarters or on their way to hospital anyway.
Single parent tutors, or instructors confined to bases? It's great that you can solve that one for 14 days for what could be a large number of staff! Luckily that family of their's is so close, and has the money to feed them.
Don’t be ridiculous: of course they would be allowed to return to their homes or quarters and isolate there.
Personally, I don't think you are cognisant of the bigger picture with the many moving parts. Binary does not work when it comes to people.
Personally I don’t think you’re aware of the national picture with millions of moving parts. The virus is binary: move around and spread it, or stay put and don’t.
Do you know if an asymptomatic host can still infect? Imagine getting to day 14 and Smith is the last to catch it, Smith is then let out. It could be as random as that.
Actually I do know this because the Government has been banging on about it for almost 2 weeks. They can. It’s the stated reason why asymptomatic people must isolate immediately when one of their housemates shows symptoms and must stay isolated for a full 14 days, even though the symptomatic one is released after 7 days if well. If Smith shows symptoms on day 14 then he (alone) must stay isolated for another 7 days.

I only waste my time responding to this nonsense because it’s clear that you haven’t been listening to the very clear messages coming out of the Government about how to keep the virus contained. It’s all available (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus) in extensive detail under ‘How to protect yourself and others’. Nothing I’ve written above is anything more than a common sense application of the household guidance to the confined environment of a Phase 1 training establishment.

finningleyprince
26th Mar 2020, 16:38
Yes, that’s what I said. Anyone they infect now will need intensive care in about 3 weeks’ time if they develop a severe case.

If 14 days has passed since the first person showed symptoms then yes, everyone who isn’t symptomatic can indeed leave.

So the cookhouse and other support facilities need to keep going under your plan, as they do under mine. That’s quite an overhead for a few ‘homeless’.

Only for essentials needed to survive. Which they don’t need to do if they are being fed at the cookhouse. So they shouldn’t use the shops.

For the vast majority of this age group, those with symptoms will be mobile and could eat in a segregated dining room and use segregated ablutions. Any bed-bound individuals would be in sick quarters or on their way to hospital anyway.

Don’t be ridiculous: of course they would be allowed to return to their homes or quarters and isolate there.

Personally I don’t think you’re aware of the national picture with millions of moving parts. The virus is binary: move around and spread it, or stay put and don’t.

Actually I do know this because the Government has been banging on about it for almost 2 weeks. They can. It’s the stated reason why asymptomatic people must isolate immediately when one of their housemates shows symptoms and must stay isolated for a full 14 days, even though the symptomatic one is released after 7 days if well. If Smith shows symptoms on day 14 then he (alone) must stay isolated for another 7 days.

I only waste my time responding to this nonsense because it’s clear that you haven’t been listening to the very clear messages coming out of the Government about how to keep the virus contained. It’s all available (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus) in extensive detail under ‘How to protect yourself and others’. Nothing I’ve written above is anything more than a common sense application of the household guidance to the confined environment of a Phase 1 training establishment.

I can't be bothered to read your diatribe. It's probably complete nonsense, and you'd rather, like the cruise ships- proven as an utter failure, keep many hundreds of people together and closed up? More fool you. One needs to observe the government guidelines, and fantasists like you need to watch how much poor decision making costs the MOD in litigation. The Red Tops you scour over are only too full of what happens when ignorance and arrogance go up a well versed Barrister.
Now, for the avoidance of doubt, I do not know if any are shut down, in lock down or are refusing new intakes, but if anyone should pay the ultimate price then you mark my words, son, it will unleash a significant backlash ..... 'Think about it'.

NavyNav2
1st Apr 2020, 09:51
Latest from Cranwell.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/coronavirus-lockdown-raf-cranwell-distancing-4002060