PDA

View Full Version : Prior training?

Jonnyone
13th Aug 2002, 01:11
Hi all,
I've recently graduated from university and intend to join the Army within the next six months. My question is that although not sponsored by the AAC I know there is a fair chance (if I do noticably well at Sandhusrt) I can apply to switch sponsors from my current one (infantry) to the AAC. My query is whether or not I should invest in a PPL or a selected amount of pre-Sandhurst flying in the attempt to brighten my appeal to the possible AAC selectors?
Any information andsuggestion will be valued. Thankyou.

Also on a different matter. I'm 23years old and applied to the RAF for Pilot and recently received notice that I was too old for pilot training within the RAF but, if I wish to continue into the RAF I could possibly become a Navigator. Hmm This seems a bit darn harsh considering all the text on RAF pilot states under 24 years old before appication.
I guess there's one question here and an observation, any feed back will be appreciated. Ideally I would choose the RAF for pilot but the Army route seems the most likely if I want to actually be at the controls
Thankyou.

Thud Ridge
13th Aug 2002, 18:52
Fly Navy.

Your still young enough to join the Senior Service.

JNo
14th Aug 2002, 10:01
Bit strange. I'm 23 (b'day 2nd April) and have been accepted to start pilot training (well IOT anyway) in October.

Green Bottle 2
14th Aug 2002, 19:31
If flying is what you want to do then don't join the AAC as an officer - they get involved more in the management to the detriment of flying. If the RAF won't have you, your best bet to fly is with the Navy.

GB

STANDTO
15th Aug 2002, 11:04
navy

Black 'n Yellar
15th Aug 2002, 21:26
Having trained and flown with all 3 sevices, there is only one thing I can say, and it is very similar to Thud Ridge: Fly Navy!!

Jonnyone
17th Aug 2002, 23:19
Thanks for all the replies. I will consider the navy route, I was hesitant towards the Navy mainly due to the amount of 'at sea' time involved. However if the flying opportunties are better, then Dartmouth may be the way to go.
I reckon I will acquire a level of pre service flight training in order to demonstate a genuine interest in flying. Thanks guys for the advise.
Jonnyone

caspertheghost
18th Aug 2002, 00:01
Flying in the navy? You've got to be joking!
Fine if you want to fly a jet that's got no future and live on a boat for the rest of your life. Better than the army though, with their new helicopter that they're too scared to fly cos it's too shiny and complicated!
Reach for the skies!

Before you all start moaning, this is intended as banter!
;)