PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Military Blackhawk crash

nomorehelosforme
23rd Mar 2020, 11:41
Extremely hard landing in a dust cloud, one fatality.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9XjqS_1584894318

The web appeared footage of the crash of a Sikorsky UH-60M Black Hawk helicopter of Mexican naval aviation that crashed last Saturday, March 21, in the state of Veracruz.

The record shows that the aircraft tried to land. According to one of the preliminary versions, at this moment the crew lost spatial orientation due to the fact that the rising dust sharply worsened visibility.

According to local media , ten people were on board the helicopter. Nine of them received injuries of varying severity, another - a police officer - died.

23rd Mar 2020, 15:36
It's what happens if you try to come to the hover or make a very slow descent in a dustbowl.

hueyracer
23rd Mar 2020, 20:17
I teach all my students and pilots to always prepare and brief for a dust landing-as it's better to be surprised because there is no dust when you expect dust, than to experience dust where you don't expect it....

gulliBell
24th Mar 2020, 00:21
The aircraft didn't look all that banged up to have resulted in a fatality.

JohnDixson
24th Mar 2020, 01:24
What makes this situation sadder yet is that the M has an auto hover ( GPS/Inertial ) capability available.

SASless
24th Mar 2020, 12:49
Brother John.....there is one very unreliable interface in that system that can cause real problems.

That Human-Mechanical Interface....that must operate correctly to engage that Auto-Hover capability.

These days Helicopters are becoming smarter than its manipulators.

212man
24th Mar 2020, 13:22
The aircraft didn't look all that banged up to have resulted in a fatality.
I'm sure many of us thought the same. My assumption/guess was that somebody - during the general thrashing around inside in the impact - managed to smack their head hard on something unforgiving (or vice versa).

Repos
25th Mar 2020, 08:06
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8144529/Shocking-moment-military-helicopter-crashes-Mexico-killing-one-police-officer-and.html

"According to Hugo Gutiérrez Maldonado, secretary of Veracruz Public Security, officer Baxin was seated in one of two police vehicles that were struck by the helicopter."