PDA

View Full Version : Call to gate staff regarding corona

Pelican
22nd Mar 2020, 15:05
Twice have I flown BA in the last two days (for work, I'd rather not fly at all at the moment). Both times passengers have been called to queue up well before they were ready to be properly boarded.

I understand, we need to board on time, but really, is is a good idea to all queue up right behind each other at the moment? How much time will it really save?

I appreciate that once onboard we're all sat in close proximity of each other too, but then it's a must. At the gate it isn't. In addition, the ventilation is better in the plane, plus with the current passenger loads people are fairly spread out on board. Not so quieing up at the gate.

We need to try to beat this virus. Let's all play our part.

occasional
22nd Mar 2020, 18:50
They are still letting people fly without insisting on masks ????

India Four Two
22nd Mar 2020, 18:57
Pelican,

Why not wait in your seat at the gate until the queue has gone and then stroll down the empty jetway?

VariablePitchP
22nd Mar 2020, 19:11
They are still letting people fly without insisting on masks ????

99% of masks do absolutely nothing against COVID, mean they can’t be used in critical healthcare settings where they might actually be useful, and can do more harm than good. Not a single agency recommends the public wearing them so would be a bizarre policy to implement.

Rescue3
22nd Mar 2020, 21:03
pre-boarding, got to hit those performance figures...........

Longtimer
22nd Mar 2020, 22:04
As long as carry on baggage is allowed, you will find people queuing up early to board hoping to find room in the overhead bins for their max. size hand luggage.

Pelican
22nd Mar 2020, 23:25
Pelican,

Why not wait in your seat at the gate until the queue has gone and then stroll down the empty jetway?

That's exactly what I did, India Four Two. But I was just about the only one. About half the passengers wore masks, indicating they were somewhat fearful of the virus, yet were happy to queue up just the same. Bizarre, I thought.

wiggy
23rd Mar 2020, 08:54
Twice have I flown BA in the last two days (for work, I'd rather not fly at all at the moment). Both times passengers have been called to queue up well before they were ready to be properly boarded.

I understand, we need to board on time, but really, is is a good idea to all queue up right behind each other at the moment? How much time will it really save?

I think you make a valid point about the way some airlines are behaving - I'm afraid at some places the reality of this pandemic has yet to percolate into introducing things like attempts at enforcing social distancing into operational procedures. I really hope it's not the case but I wonder :oh: if despite everything some staff at some airlines are still be being chased to do everything possible to produce on time departures.

As for not rushing to board: knowing how some places organise their boarding I suspect being last through the check at the jetty head might simply then put you at the back of the line being held on the jetty itself whilst there is a wait for crew to give the OK for boarding....but at least you've tried to generate some distancing...

occasional
23rd Mar 2020, 11:47
99% of masks do absolutely nothing against COVID, mean they can’t be used in critical healthcare settings where they might actually be useful, and can do more harm than good. Not a single agency recommends the public wearing them so would be a bizarre policy to implement.
Strangely, where I am, in three weeks they have gone from propagating advice almost as ridiculous as this, to setting up emergency fabrication units for makeshift masks.

A quick search for figures produced this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002817714630555
"The respirator provided an efficiency of 94 to 96 percent, compared with 90 to 92 percent and 85 to 86 percent for the molded and tie-on surgical masks (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/surgical-mask), respectively."