PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Maintenance Still being Conducted

aussieflyboy
21st Mar 2020, 12:06
Network Aviation F100 VH-NHY flew to Seletar on the 20th March for maintenance.

Can this not be done in Australia? Surely QF has an excess of engineers spare with all that is going on? Please tell me that the required tooling is not available in Australia.

Sunfish
21st Mar 2020, 12:18
I don’t know for sure, but the first action of any competent outsource maintenance provider is to castrate their customer. I would be surprised if QF had more than the bare minimum of LRUs and any overhaul capacity at all.

thorn bird
21st Mar 2020, 20:51
The required tooling is most probably available in Aussieboy, the problem is the required "approved" people to wield those tools and also the required "approved" processes on how and which tools are wielded. Given the micro managed regulations in Australia a 1/8 hexagonal nut required a considerable amount of paper work on how when, why and by whom it may be undone or tightened up, there is also the problem of just because you are approved to undo a 1/8 hexagonal nut on one particular aircraft type you may not necessarily be approved to do the same on another aircraft type.

Yeah, okay I'm being facetious but it aint that far from the truth under Australia's home made regulatory suite.

dragon man
21st Mar 2020, 22:56
A 787 in Melbourne last year needed to be jacked for gear swings, Qantas had to fly them in having borrowed them from ANZ. That answer the question.

blubak
21st Mar 2020, 23:23
A 787 in Melbourne last year needed to be jacked for gear swings, Qantas had to fly them in having borrowed them from ANZ. That answer the question.
Plenty of people to do every bit of this work but bonuses take priority.

gordonfvckingramsay
22nd Mar 2020, 02:06
Do we know if QF plan to use this time wisely to clear some defects deferred under the “nil time to rectify NSOF CLASS X”?

Tom Sawyer
22nd Mar 2020, 02:48
CASA approval for F100 aircraft type and Base scope of maintenance held by the company?
Overhaul shops for any in-house component repairs/overhaul?
Suitably approved engineers in place (bearing in mind possible upcoming movement restrictions)?
Network QA approval of maintenance provider?
Tools, docking, spares and manuals in place?
Manpower and hangar space availability?
As the maintenance was planned, any penalty clauses to pay the originally planned provider?

Apart from those issues to work through.....should be fine.

Bend alot
22nd Mar 2020, 04:41
Do we know if QF plan to use this time wisely to clear some defects deferred under the “nil time to rectify NSOF CLASS X”?
Apparently not - it is not "useful work that employees could do" prior to stand downs being enforced.

Global Aviator
22nd Mar 2020, 04:56
You do realise that Fokker have a dedicated maintenance center in Singapore.

Would they have tooling or equipment unique to a certain check?

Just asking the question, I have zero idea apart from knowing about the facility.

blubak
22nd Mar 2020, 05:18
As per another post,answer is NO.
Why spend money to help your employees,just force them to take leave then attack the unions on a media interview & talk about them being un australian.

aussieflyboy
22nd Mar 2020, 05:51
Do Cobham still have the required tooling in Adelaide to conduct overhauls on the 717? Or can the CBR facility still do it?

If a 717 is sent to to Seletar with Australian engineers capable of doing the work on Stand Down I’d hope the union would be up in arms.