PDA

View Full Version : Controller Shortage

escaped.atco
20th Mar 2020, 18:46
Up until recently it was a controllers market when it came to jobs. I know from talking to colleagues around the country the landscape has changed beyond recognition within the space of a few weeks. Has the shortage now disappeared? Don't suppose there'll be much movement over the next while as everyone will want to sit tight!

Dan Dare
20th Mar 2020, 21:38
I predict that every unit that was short-staffed (almost every ATC facility) will be encouraged to reduce staffing and there will be no movement of staff for the foreseeable. They will claim that it was unforeseeable that there would be insufficient staff when traffic levels pick up again at a rate faster than new controllers can be trained. Until technology takes over there will be a shortage of controllers, who will be working short-handed.

escaped.atco
21st Mar 2020, 13:59
Will this be a chance for Terms and Conditions to be pared back a bit I wonder. I see from other posts Easy appear to be having a go at that and no doubt where one part of the industry goes then the others won't be far behind.

I agree that staffing will probably be stagnant for a while, it'll be retirements that open up vacancies rather than staff moving on. Perhaps as controllers retire it'll be left as it is and maybe not recruit at all. Minimum staffing will probably also entail controllers taking on a support role rather than dedicated support staff. Not a particularly good time to be starting a career within ATC, especially if you have self sponsored!

The Fat Controller
21st Mar 2020, 14:14
With the fall in the stock market and until there is a decent recovery, I expect a lot of NATS staff in the UK that transferred out of the DB pension scheme aren't going to be able to afford to retire.

escaped.atco
21st Mar 2020, 16:20
If I remember a lot of the older NATS controllers had their pension bought of them after it had maxed out their pot. Surely anyone in that circumstance would have placed their large investment into a safe portfolio until they could access it? Even the younger controllers are on a very respectable scheme in comparison to what is out there both in other ANSPs and indeed the real world in general. In this day and age 6 plus 6 is seen as a more than reasonable pension provision - those on 9 plus 18 are relatively very well off indeed! Perhaps that is something that will take a hit when the full financial implications of this current crisis are examined at a later date.

Ironically those young controllers who are buying into the market with 27% of their salary at this depressed time will actually do very well indeed as the market increases. Its those that are mid 40s and are relying on that last growth spurt to maximise their investment that will have to take the hit and wait that while longer to recoup their losses.

Gonzo
21st Mar 2020, 19:27
But the impact on anyone's SIPP will also be felt by CAAPS, which might make the DB scheme fall even more under the crosshairs than it already was.

terrain safe
21st Mar 2020, 23:01
But the impact on anyone's SIPP will also be felt by CAAPS, which might make the DB scheme fall even more under the crosshairs than it already was.

I guess it might be the time to take it out now then as your money would go further.

Del Prado
21st Mar 2020, 23:13
I guess it might be the time to take it out now then as your money would go further.

seems like I good idea but I’d heard it was becoming very difficult to opt out as the indemnity insurance had gone sky high, particularly for under 50s. Shame, as it seems to make more sense than three years ago when most transferred out.

Gonzo
22nd Mar 2020, 12:10

I came out (of the DB scheme!) in 2018, and I’m happy now. Yes, my SIPP has taken a bit of a beating in the last few weeks, but I’m far happier knowing exactly what I’ve got when I could have been worrying about...

RP3 (and RP4?)
Employer payment holidays
Increasing liabilities against reducing active members
Govt. deciding to reduce the protections of CAAPS
Company deciding to reduce pensionable pay
Govt. deciding to increase tax on pension contributions

escaped.atco
22nd Mar 2020, 17:43
I would guess there are many like Gonzo who bravely came out (of the DB scheme)! A good financial adviser will be worth their weight in gold over the next while to make sure the pot is invested in the right vehicle to both minimise the downturn and also maximise the return when the time is right.

The large ANSP in the UK has been the envy of many ATCOs in the country when it comes to pension provision, will that pension be sustainable going forward - I have my doubts. If the pot has been lifted then its probably safer now than it will be in the future. Likewise with VR options as mentioned, I remember hearing of the amounts that ATCOs were being offered and it was eye watering. Even more so when these ATCOs were within a year or so of retiring anyway! Be amazed if that were offered again in the current climate.

I think Gonzo has it about right with some of the measures that will be considered, pension holidays and tax relief scrapped top of the list!

Suppose to get back on topic this could go both ways, those that can afford to bail out now might do so leaving a shortage or the opposite, ATCOs that had planned to go now think they can't afford it and will stay on leading to stagnant staffing levels and no movement. Crystal ball anyone??

highwideandugly
22nd Mar 2020, 19:26
I suppose airports..on their knees..should always retain their essential ATC staff....especially training and experienced staff.It could change overnight and to be up and running that they need these guys and girls?

its the non essential staff who Unfortunately can be replaced .so sad and at the end of the day..who knows??

mike current
23rd Mar 2020, 07:58
I suppose airports..on their knees..should always retain their essential ATC staff....especially training and experienced staff.It could change overnight and to be up and running that they need these guys and girls?

Overnight.. highly unlikely. Unless we see a faster than imaginable breakthrough in science.

The speed at which air traffic is shutting down is staggering. Last week it was still ticking over with many repatriation flights and routes winding down. This week will be brutal.

chevvron
23rd Mar 2020, 09:22
Overnight.. highly unlikely. Unless we see a faster than imaginable breakthrough in science.

The speed at which air traffic is shutting down is staggering. Last week it was still ticking over with many repatriation flights and routes winding down. This week will be brutal.
Only scheduled flights; bizjet flights are booming according to gonzo.(on another forum)

EastofKoksy
23rd Mar 2020, 09:55
I suggest the airlines are in so much pain they will be lobbying very hard to see ANSPs slash their costs and not just in the very short term. I would not be surprised if some unpleasent proposals about pay, pensions and working practices appeared very soon.

Gonzo
23rd Mar 2020, 09:59
Only scheduled flights; bizjet flights are booming according to gonzo.(on another forum)

Not anymore. they are reducing too, now.

mike current
23rd Mar 2020, 20:08
Not anymore. they are reducing too, now.

The large amount of Chinese registered bizjets that appeared last week seems to have gone now...