PDA

View Full Version : PPL Medical

Speedbird744
12th Aug 2002, 22:21
I need to grab a medical before my first solo, and I need to know what kind of medical is needed for the PPL?
Is it Class 1 or 2?
How long does it last for and how much does it cost?
What does the student have to go through?Tests etc?
Thanks.

Crowe
13th Aug 2002, 13:20
Speedbird

you only need a Class 2 for PPL - not such a big deal . The examiner will do a general exam, eye test inc colour vision, blood test, ECG (heart rate/rhythm) and a peak flow, which tests your lung strength.

Cost will be around £100 for initial, and it lasts 5 years if you're under 30.

Anyone who is basically healthy will pass - but if you wear glasses check your prescription before shelling out - I think you need to be less than +/- 5 dioptres for your initial.

The only other thing - if you're going to go on to commercial flying, get the class one straightaway - I ended up paying £100 for a class 2 so I could solo then going to Gatwick for the class one about 3 months later...

Don't worry about it - I'm terrified of things medical but managed to get through it!

Cheers

Speedbird744
13th Aug 2002, 18:27
but much are we talking for a CLASS 1 medical?

Crowe
13th Aug 2002, 20:17
£400 when I went - may be more now, but what can you do - gotta have it if you want a CPL...

Hufty
15th Aug 2002, 14:51
Good advice, also the initial class 1 is tough, but they take the ageing process into account in later life.....i.e. if you get one now, when you're 55, you may pass the renewal but may not be able to pass the full initial.
If you want a class 1, get it while you're still in good shape and hang onto it before the aches and pains catch up with you!!!