PDA

View Full Version : Support for local airfields and Rotor Running Refuels

VeeAny
20th Mar 2020, 08:20
Folks,

Just a suggestion but can we try and support our local airfields through this CoronaVirus madness.

I took an air ambulance into Turweston the other day and they've got their two main guys isolated from everyone else where possible, in order to try and remain open as long as possible to be able to supply fuel to the Emergency Services and National Infrastructure aircraft, they provide rotors running refuels as some of you will already know. Their Café is closed so thats an income stream and visitor attraction which has dried up for them for the moment. Chris asked me to encourage as many Rotors Running Refuel visitors as possible to drop in to them.

Other airfields are around that offer this facility, but if we don't use them , we may in coming weeks or months lose them.

There is almost certainly going to be a decrease in GA activity in coming weeks and the little airfields are going to suffer as a result.

Gary

tu154
20th Mar 2020, 21:52
Who is flying recreationally? Helicopter businesses are closing their doors, removing aircraft insurance to keep critical payments going, pilots are scrambling for work to pay the bills. Things are about to get very ugly. Time to do a bit more contingency planning!

Brilliant Stuff
21st Mar 2020, 13:54
We have been contacting a number of the small airfields in order to get a feel what their restrictions are considering the current circumstances and most have said they will stay open as long as possible but they are aware the government might shut them down which will force their hands but most of them are of course available for the emergency services and the essential services. They all are brilliant and doing their utmost to keep the show going case in point being Turweston. But yes these are very trying / stressful times. Stay safe everyone and stay strong.

Hot and Hi
21st Mar 2020, 14:56
Why wouldn’t there be to the opposite an increase in GA activities, if you can’t or don’t want to fly by bus anymore?

Hilico
21st Mar 2020, 15:30
Judging by the number of returns on FR24, recreational pilots are at it in the usual numbers at 3pm on this breezy March Saturday.

Radgirl
21st Mar 2020, 16:09
Why wouldn’t there be to the opposite an increase in GA activities, if you can’t or don’t want to fly by bus anymore?

I hate to be a killjoy but the west is facing its biggest challenge since the second world war. Society is being closed down but so late that we have a major pandemic in effectively all developed countries. People will die. Commerce will be trashed. We must lock down. I have just returned from my hospital in London the day after the government closed schools, bars, restaurants etc etc but the central park was heaving with groups of children and masses of adults crowded together. Hairdressers open!!!!!! People congregating on tables outside closed pubs!!!!!! I truly fear things are out of control and governments incompetent.

So the idea that you may not care to go to the party / business meeting commercial but fly yourself is heinous. You shouldnt go outside your house. Period. Unless you are flying from your locked down property with others in the same household and not landing away you are risking spreading Covid 19 and causing more death, a longer lockdown, and more commercial misery in the future

Please think of others

max roll rate
24th Mar 2020, 12:19
Hi friends

Like lots of other airfields here at Turweston we will be rolling back operations for the foreseeable future due to the Virus as of today 24/03/20
as Gary has said we will have a service in place where you Emergency services and Utility companies can still get fuel from us if ever needed
You will need to contact me directly I am 20 mins away from the airfield so the more notice the better for me . [email protected] or
my Mobile 07967902706 . Stay and play safe and see you on the other side I hope .
Kind Regards to all Chris Brown AD Manager

SASless
24th Mar 2020, 12:45
The key to survival economically is for folks to start thinking outside the box.

Yes....we MUST do our best to limit the spread of the virus and yet maintain as normal a life as we can.

Businesses can change their method of operation and should as best they can.

The notion a Nation can be shut down for a finite period of time is ludicrous at best.

People need to eat...to have medical care....conduct business....and work.....and that requires the ability to travel to obtain necessary services.

Use your precautions, be careful, and stick together helping each other out as needed and able.

Rotors turning refueling is a safe and efficient procedure done routinely by helicopters for ages.

Having an on-call service for that is very useful with proper planning and liaison.

Fly safe....and carry on!

nigelh
24th Mar 2020, 15:02
And if any one needs JetA1 west of Leeds just contact me . We could do rotors running depending on type .