PDA

View Full Version : Emirates about to ground A380 ops

NightVMC
20th Mar 2020, 00:13
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/emirates-mulls-grounding-its-a380-fleet-as-virus-spreads

looking fwd to see, how many A380s will return into service

Anilv
20th Mar 2020, 01:53
Last I checked 'mulls' means 'thinking about it'.

Also quote 'Emirates, the world’s biggest long-haul airline, is looking at grounding the bulk of its 115 Airbus SEsuperjumbos as the coronavirus undermines global travel demand, people familiar with the situation said.' unquote. Firstly it's not an official statement.. just a rumour...(perfectly acceptable in this forum!). Secondly I bet every airline that operates A380 (and the B744/748 for that matter) is 'mulling' over this.

Anilv

SOPS
20th Mar 2020, 02:36
Last I checked 'mulls' means 'thinking about it'.

Also quote 'Emirates, the world’s biggest long-haul airline, is looking at grounding the bulk of its 115 Airbus SEsuperjumbos as the coronavirus undermines global travel demand, people familiar with the situation said.' unquote. Firstly it's not an official statement.. just a rumour...(perfectly acceptable in this forum!). Secondly I bet every airline that operates A380 (and the B744/748 for that matter) is 'mulling' over this.

Anilv

I would think that as more and more countries close their borders, there will nowhere to fly the A380s to.. or the 777s for that matter.

Pif Paf
20th Mar 2020, 04:43
Expect to see EK passenger B777 flying with no pax just cargo.

mostlytossas
20th Mar 2020, 05:58
Got a relative from UK heading home from Adelaide next Thursday (26th) has just been told flight is cancelled and to contact his travel agent. Anyone know reliably if this is all EK441 flights out of Adelaide or just that day.
Should they grab first available flight home or pick next or day before if available?

SOPS
20th Mar 2020, 07:17
Got a relative from UK heading home from Adelaide next Thursday (26th) has just been told flight is cancelled and to contact his travel agent. Anyone know reliably if this is all EK441 flights out of Adelaide or just that day.
Should they grab first available flight home or pick next or day before if available?

For a exercise, I just tried to book EK 441 on the 29th. The system
says no flight available. That may give you a clue.

Anti Skid On
20th Mar 2020, 07:28

Both Australia and NZ have closed their borders to everyone except citizens and permanent residents, so the only aircraft flying will be into the main ports (Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland), and I assume the flights returning those people will be charters from wherever. I am guessing seats will be made available on the flights back out.

donpizmeov
20th Mar 2020, 18:13
ADL is canned for a bit. The multiple flights a day into BNE have been consolidated to 1 380. The travel agent will be able to find an alternative seat for them.

hamil
20th Mar 2020, 21:28
Hi,
Any rumors about the unmentionable? Fleet plan, layoff, unpaid leave, etc.?
Thanks.
H.

mostlytossas
20th Mar 2020, 23:46
Thanks for your replies about my rellies home flight. Yes you are correct. EK have dropped Adelaide while this virus thing is going on. I knew they would along with all International flights eventually but thought it might not be until April.
Anyway end result is Austravel is now handling their home flights and are working through the backlog in date order. So we expect to be contacted in a few days as to new flight details. I notice Singapore came in today still so perhaps they will be routed via there or via Syd,Mel, Bris ?
The panic started for us here because of EK's poorly composed message about their flight being cancelled and contact to your travel agent. Sounded like they were being abandoned. A better message would have been something along the lines of" EK has cancelled all flights due the virus alternative arrangements are being made . Contact your travel agent for details"
Thanks again crisis over!
Stay safe and hope this thing ends sooner rather than later for all concerned.

crewmeal
21st Mar 2020, 06:58
As of next week UK flights have been reduced drastically in some cases 380's down to 777's in the regions.

SOPS
21st Mar 2020, 14:16
Looking at all the cancelled routes on the EK web page.. it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Airbubba
21st Mar 2020, 17:56
Hi,
Any rumors about the unmentionable? Fleet plan, layoff, unpaid leave, etc.?
Thanks.
H.

There is a rumor that the EK training building is shut down and the GCAA has pencil-whipped currency for four months. Doesn't sound likely.

Rhodes13
21st Mar 2020, 19:07
There is a rumor that the EK training building is shut down and the GCAA has pencil-whipped currency for four months. Doesn't sound likely.

It’s true....

fatbus
21st Mar 2020, 20:28
Possible update prior to 1 April.

crewmeal
22nd Mar 2020, 07:10
The latest edition of routesonline show the 380 still operating at least until the end of the month.

Routesonline (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290434/emirates-march-june-2020-operations-as-of-0515gmt-22mar20/)

Nuweiba
22nd Mar 2020, 09:25
Sitting here in Germany, ( near Koblenz ), at the moment and yesterday saw four Emirates A380 flying over within about an hour... to LGW, MAN, LHR and BHX. I was amazed to see so many flights to the UK in these days !

NightVMC
22nd Mar 2020, 11:43
I like your optimism,@anilV, but today Emirates announced no more flights to Germany, and other countries in the EU.
So this all will have a huge impact on the A380 ops.

just wait and see

SOPS
22nd Mar 2020, 12:44
I said it before . As borders close.. there will be nowhere to fly.

givemewings
22nd Mar 2020, 14:17
No more flights at all, winding down from March 23 onwards

Airbubba
22nd Mar 2020, 14:44
And pay cuts but, for now, no redundancies.

From the Khaleej Times:

Salary reduction

As a cost-cutting measure, the airline will initiate a temporary reduction of basic salary for the "majority of" Emirates Group employees for three months. The salary cut ranges from 25 to 50 per cent. The Presidents of Emirates and dnata - Sir Tim Clark and Gary Chapman - will take a 100 per cent basic salary cut for three months.

Employees will continue to be paid their other allowances during this time. Junior level employees will be exempt from basic salary reduction.

"Rather than ask employees to leave the business, we chose to implement a temporary basic salary cut as we want to protect our workforce and keep our talented and skilled people, as much as possible. We want to avoid cutting jobs. When demand picks up again, we also want to be able to quickly ramp up and resume services for our customers.

"The Emirates Group has strong liquidity, with a healthy cash position but it is prudent that it take steps to reduce costs at this time. Emirates remains committed to serving its markets and looks forward to resuming a normal flight schedule as soon as that is permitted by the relevant authorities."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-outbreak/coronavirus-in-uae-emirates-suspends-all-passenger-flights-announces-pay-cuts

fatbus
23rd Mar 2020, 06:07
The last temporary reduction in T &C 's wasn't temporary! Good luck to all .

SOPS
23rd Mar 2020, 08:30
I was thinking the same thing, Fatbus.

777boyindubai
23rd Mar 2020, 14:16
No one with any understanding of EK believes them when they say temporary. This will be a permanent reduction. Where will anyone go to after this Corona Virus is done?

Emma Royds
23rd Mar 2020, 15:52
No one with any understanding of EK believes them when they say temporary. This will be a permanent reduction. Where will anyone go to after this Corona Virus is done?

If they sustain this level of remuneration, it then opens up many doors that many previously dismissed. That local job flying a turboprop around your back yard, is now a lot more competitive from a financial perspective than it used to be. The regional sector in aviation often rides these storms better. Remote communities still need to survive and function, irrespective of what apocalyptic headlines are in the newspapers.

14 6
23rd Mar 2020, 17:25
If they sustain this level of remuneration, it then opens up many doors that many previously dismissed. That local job flying a turboprop around your back yard, is now a lot more competitive from a financial perspective than it used to be. The regional sector in aviation often rides these storms better. Remote communities still need to survive and function, irrespective of what apocalyptic headlines are in the newspapers.

Good point!

cruisepower
24th Mar 2020, 09:48
Won’t be surprised if airlines start to fly turboprops in the future to keep costs down trading in time.

bringbackthe80s
24th Mar 2020, 12:38

except the very first airlines going bankrupt are regionals.