PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to Windows 10

WB627
19th Mar 2020, 20:09
When I migrated my PC and small laptop to Windows 10, I left my Dell Mobile Workstation running Windows 10, as an insurance policy. With the withdrawal of suport for Windows 7 in January and my eldest wanting to borrow the big laptop to work from home, I bit the bullet and went for it today.

Not only was I able to do this for free, but it could not have of gone smoother. I can't believe I actually said that! It just installed and worked no need for the COA serial or anything.

Interestingly, it installed the latest build 1909. My PC is on 1809, the update I had all the problems with and the small laptop is on 1903.

dogsridewith
19th Mar 2020, 23:59
Windows is now offering a 7 to 10 upgrade for free?

PJD1
20th Mar 2020, 08:30
Windows is now offering a 7 to 10 upgrade for free?

Windows has had a free upgrade from 7 to 10 available since day1. It was widely publicised when Win 10 was introduced and when the offer period officially ended it continued to remain available, they just didn't publicise it.

WB627
20th Mar 2020, 22:04
Yes FREE :) not sure it was free immediately after the original free period expired, but it is free now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Very simple to upgrade the computer Windows 7 is on from here bit more complicated if you are upgrading one that's not internet connected. My advice would be to create a restore point first.

dogsridewith
21st Mar 2020, 00:38
Thanks for that information and link!