PDA

View Full Version : Economic downturn

HILFIGER-TOMMY
17th Mar 2020, 23:47
Representing the DARWIN GA side...

By weeks end if not month's end there will be probably 75% less pilots in a job.
It's unrealistic if people here still think they'll be kept on.
There is now essentially zero flights happening. Other then chartered flights for oil/gas/mining but even then..
Tough spot here to as there is hardly any jobs out side aviation up here to support the people...
Against this is purely a Darwin observation. Would be interesting to see what others are experiencing. I.E Cairns, broome, Kununurra.

SITTINGBULL
18th Mar 2020, 01:29
Doesn't look good for us GA folks, a lot of hard work gone to waste.

IFEZ
18th Mar 2020, 03:47
Tough times ahead for a lot of people I'm afraid Tommy. Not just GA, but Airlines and anyone associated, travel, entertainment, tourism, hospitality, The economic fallout from this is going to be bad because it's a world wide problem. All sorts of industries and businesses large and small are going to feel it. I'm really hoping the science community can fast track treatments/vaccines for this, as that would seem to be our only hope for a quick turnaround of the current (and worsening) state of affairs.

Superfly Slick Dick
18th Mar 2020, 07:31
Yeah, I think we’re all pretty much stuffed. I reckon I’ll be selling my body down at the wall again. Maybe for 6 months.

Hasherucf
18th Mar 2020, 08:23
Why screw the economy ? Quarantine the elderly and those at risk and let the younger people work. Sure they will take a hit but their chances of death are much lower (0.5%). Once the first wave hits and younger generation has recovered then release elderly back into the community slowly.

I'm sure my colleagues and I will get our marching soon . Probably the best outcome will be leave without pay :(

Josh Cox
18th Mar 2020, 08:58
Gee SSD,

One week giving it away for free, the next week charging,,,,,,,, how can anyone be expected to keep up :).

Lead Balloon
18th Mar 2020, 09:22
Stacking shelves in capital city supermarkets is a growth industry. For now.

Enterprising pilots should be flying toilet paper, rice and canned tuna around for sale to folks in the ‘outback’.

Pinky the pilot
18th Mar 2020, 10:12
Enterprising pilots should be flying toilet paper, rice and canned tuna around for sale to folks in the ‘outback’.

Providing that they can first purchase the abovementioned goods! Not much hope judging from viewing the shelves at both local Supermarkets earlier today.

All completely empty!

Ixixly
18th Mar 2020, 10:16
Why screw the economy ? Quarantine the elderly and those at risk and let the younger people work. Sure they will take a hit but their chances of death are much lower (0.5%). Once the first wave hits and younger generation has recovered then release elderly back into the community slowly.

I'm sure my colleagues and I will get our marching soon . Probably the best outcome will be leave without pay :(

Crappiest idea I've heard so far, you say 0.5% but you realise that equates to 110,000 people right? Just here in Australia? Heard the saying that "Statistics matter not to the individual", if not then keep it mind should you find yourself as one of the 0.5% or the rest of the 99.5% struggling to get assistance for anything else requiring a Hospital or a GP because they're overloaded.

Squawk7700
18th Mar 2020, 11:48
Expect to see more of this soon:

https://petesperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/gander-pics.jpg

There's a lot of talk with airport operators right now about their ability to survive this long term. Sounds crazy but it's all very well to say the airlines will be in trouble. How many $m's will Melbourne Airport be down on parking revenue, let alone landing fees and terminal "taxes."

Clare Prop
18th Mar 2020, 12:42
The airport leaseholders will just have to bring some money back from the offshore accounts.
First they will whine about how much money they have lost and try to gouge even more out of the tenants. I recently had my grass parking rates go up by 10%, they said to pay for the new lights, apparently. We don't do night flying and of course they haven't lit up the grass parking area anyway. They could easily have charged a higher landing fee at night.
Got no sympathy whatsoever for the airport leasholders. To have them crying poor when they have shown nothing but greed and contempt for the tenants is sickening.
Time to repeal the airports act, kick them out and renationalise the airports.

gerry111
18th Mar 2020, 12:50
There's a lot of talk with airport operators right now about their ability to survive this long term. Sounds crazy but it's all very well to say the airlines will be in trouble. How many $m's will Melbourne Airport be down on parking revenue, let alone landing fees and terminal "taxes."
Wouldn't it be oh so sad if Melbourne and Sydney airport leaseholders went broke?

Lead Balloon
18th Mar 2020, 20:57
Terry Snow, who’s become a billionaire off the back of YSCB, is unlikely to go broke any time soon, even if air traffic in and out of YSCB went to zero. Mr Snow was clever enough to build lots of offices within the YSCB ‘footprint’, many of which are filled with government drones or the drones of contractors to government. The rivers of taxpayer gold will continue to flow to Mr Snow in the form of rent from those offices. If the government drones keep going to work, they’ll continue to pay for parking. The pollies won’t be giving up their VIP flights, and Ronnie pays rent for the areas it uses on the Fairbairn side.

That won’t stop the Capital Airport Group from ‘crying poor’ if there’s a downturn in aircraft movements, though. They’ve done it before. Mule-stupid governments have turned Mr Snow into a billionaire and the most accurate predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

The runways and other airport infrastructure, and aircraft and their crew and passengers, are mere irritations to Mr Snow. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Capital Airport Group offered to ‘give back’ the duration of the lease over the areas containing the airport infrastructure (for a price payable by the taxpayer of course).

Peter Fanelli
18th Mar 2020, 22:16
Maybe all the out of work pilots would like to get together and hold a huge streamer cutting competition.....oh wait.

Too soon?

Sunfish
18th Mar 2020, 22:23
Friends are already warning of an upsurge in crime. I understand Police are already anticipating it, but they also will be short staffed due to the virus. One problem being overcrowding of existing jails. The solution to that is the Army.

Lookleft
18th Mar 2020, 22:50
One problem being overcrowding of existing jails. The solution to that is the Army.

And in the name of humanity allow 14 year old army cadets to carry rifles on trams!

junior.VH-LFA
18th Mar 2020, 23:47
Friends are already warning of an upsurge in crime. I understand Police are already anticipating it, but they also will be short staffed due to the virus. One problem being overcrowding of existing jails. The solution to that is the Army.

For the last time, the ADF isn’t a societal rehabilitation centre.

Pearly White
18th Mar 2020, 23:51
Wouldn't it be oh so sad if Melbourne and Sydney airport leaseholders went broke?
Because most super funds would hold some of the shares?

Squawk7700
18th Mar 2020, 23:58

Find some new friends that also aren’t anti-vaxers.

With the majority of sworn Vicpol members being currently OSTT qualified, there won’t be a shortage of officers any time soon. They will just be re-allocated from other roles.

Sunfish
19th Mar 2020, 05:43
VH-LFA, no, the army isn’t a bunch of social workers but they can construct and run makeshift camps or prisons in aid of the civil power.

Squawk, I don’t understand your reply. I hope we do have a fast tracked vaccine ASAP. What is OSTT? The police expect to lose staff to coronavirus for a while and thus be short staffed. Their workload will increase at the same time.

machtuk
19th Mar 2020, 06:48
I'm not a religeous man but I pray for my many work colleges who are still in the cesspool business of Aviation, I hope some can at least pull thru this, I fear a lot won't!

Squawk7700
19th Mar 2020, 08:37
What is OSTT? The police expect to lose staff to coronavirus for a while and thus be short staffed. Their workload will increase at the same time.

OSTT qualification is their ability to carry a firearm, batton and spray etc, meaning they are qualified to tackle the bad guys.

There are many police in roles that don’t include working on the front line in a police station, ready to hit the streets should your predictions of a huge crime wave come true. Say the word and a bus of them will roll out of HQ, assuming they still fit in their operational gear after a siesta behind a desk.

It may comfort you to know (true story) that the top selling item at Rebel sport on Tuesday was the venerable cricket bat. Now either a lot of cricket lovers are preparing to be stuck at home, or your prediction of a crime wave has already been predicted by purchasers of said bats.

prickly
19th Mar 2020, 10:17

Best outcome is to quarantine the brainless twats.

kaz3g
19th Mar 2020, 10:52
Operational safety tactical training.

it was called Project Beacon when I did it back in mid90’s and we did the S&W course. Ended up too many police shootings so it was changed to more baton and capsicum and less .38.

Squawk7700
19th Mar 2020, 10:58
Operational safety tactical training.

it was called Project Beacon when I did it back in mid90’s and we did the S&W course. Ended up too many police shootings so it was changed to more baton and capsicum and less .38.

Your mob wrecked it for those of us that followed you and now the SAP .40 is more of a last resort, rather than the first level go-to item on the belt.

Sunfish
19th Mar 2020, 21:17
Squawk is correct. I’ve heard certain detectives have already been told to order new uniforms. Prosecutors are next if the courts shut down.