PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please.

Captain Chaos 747
12th Aug 2002, 20:50
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but here goes.

I am currently working for a regional turbo-prop airline, a friend of mine is working for one of the major charter airlines, and he has informed me that this airline shall be recruiting a small number of pilots in the autum and has advised me to give him a CV to give to his friend the Chief Pilot.

My problem is that I do want to fly jets but should I risk this move and maybe be successful in gaining employment with this airline just to have Gulf War 2 start and end up being given the chop and back on the dole, or stay with my current airline which I am far enough up the seniority list to give me job security should a fight with Iraq start and wait until winter of next year to see what the market is like and then start looking to the jet carriers.

Any advice from all parties is welcome.

TA.:)

touch&go
12th Aug 2002, 21:16
I was debating this very subject last night with some friends, and the answer we came up with was we would go for it, we all have got this far because we didn't sit around saying 'what if'.

Captain Chaos 747
12th Aug 2002, 22:14
Thanks for the advice guys.:)

In terms of pro's and cons. the pro's is I do want to fly jets it's what I have worked for but the con is, if war in Iraq does start again I will be last one into the airline in question and first booted out should they make job cuts due to the market taking a bigger nose dive and being in a worse state than now, and with that I would be back to square one struggling to pay debts and have to pay to renew my I.R., medical etc, where is if I stay with my current airline I will have all these paid for and stay current with a healthy salary.

I don't think the market is stable enough to risk it, might be safer to delay looking for a jet job for a 12 month.

I would love to hear from Scroggs and WWW on their advice, as with lots of other advice, it's so tempting to go for.

Why could I have not wanted to be a train driver easier life.:D

Ta again.

tacpot
12th Aug 2002, 22:24
A difficult call for you to make, but you seem to be sitting pretty at the moment. Right kind of job for an easy move to the 'big time' when things brighten up, earning money, not at the bottom of the pack. On the face of it, you have more to lose that you could gain.

Best wishes with your decision.