PDA

View Full Version : Racketeering?

ciderman
16th Mar 2020, 15:00
We recently booked a flight from UK to Singapore via Dubai to join a cruise ship. When we had to alter our arrangements to stop in Dubai we expected a refund on the Dubai to Singapore leg (business class). Oh no. The original flight was cancelled by the airline and we had to buy another ticket to DXB. This turned out to be £400pp dearer than UK to SIN. Fair enough, we accepted the law of supply and demand. BUT, When Richard Branson starts asking for £7.5bn to keep his airline afloat I say no way. Supply and demand is not a one way street and when the going gets tough don't ask for my (taxpayer) money. Sell an island Sir Richard and that goes for any other airline bleating about no pax!!

PAXboy
16th Mar 2020, 19:19
Leaving the politics aside.
You say:

We had to alter our arrangements ...
"The original flight was cancelled by the airline...

Do you mean (2) that for some reason the airline cancelled the flight you were on? Or do you mean that, when you changed your plans they said the original ticket could not be refunded?
Two different things.

crewmeal
17th Mar 2020, 06:14
I thought racketeering was about toilet rolls and hand gel not the ravel industry at this time. Is this an online booking or via a face to face travel agent?

ciderman
17th Mar 2020, 08:55
To answer the questions, it was through as travel agent. The airline would not accept the booking for us to get off half way and insisted on cancelling it and getting us to re-book for UK to DXB, as I said at a vastly increased price. They said our luggage would have to go to SIN. Pure racketeering. Sorry, hence my post.

Asturias56
17th Mar 2020, 10:09
If YOU alter the flights I'm afraid you (or the cruise company) are liable - if the Airline change the flights it's their problem.

ciderman
17th Mar 2020, 10:53
Asturias, Yes I am happy with that. My point is to Sir Richard and the rest, don't come running to the taxpayer when the boot is on the other foot.

Asturias56
17th Mar 2020, 13:09
Indeed - I had an rather unpleasant experience with SIA desk staff at Changi over the weekend - I've been flying with them for over 40 years and this was the first time

They were within their rights (or rather they just didn't want to help) I guess but it was unnecessary and wouldn't have cost them a cent - I won't forget next time I make a booking to fly east. ANZ on the other hand went wayyyy above & beyond to assist

PAXboy
17th Mar 2020, 21:09
Every company is reaching for the rule book. Unfortunately, the rule book is out of date ... We are in unprecedented times and staff have really only got the rule book. Events are moving so fast that the folks at the top of the ladders (corporate and govt) are unable to keep up and give sensible instruction to those all the way down the ladder.

99% of mgmt (of all types) have never experienced this before and most have not read their history - so they were not expecting a pandemic.

Asturias56
23rd Mar 2020, 09:16
My recent (very) long haul excursion had to be terminated - but everyone has either coughed up or offered to roll over the bookings to the far future. Since the trip has to be made (eventually) I've more or less taken the rollover options for much of it...........

But they're all National Airlines so I think I'm pretty safe....... I wouldn't roll over a booking in Europe