PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 restrictions

JMC23
16th Mar 2020, 07:06
G’day everyone, I am just after some information regarding class 1 medical ‘restrictions’. If anyone has been unfortunate enough to have such restrictions placed on their medical and was able to have the issue(s) resolved and the consequent restriction(s) removed, I am curious to hear your story.

I am well aware this is a public forum, but if you would like to share your story anonymously (through PM or similar) that would be a great help to me, as I am going through this process currently and thus far have received zero information regarding the time frame.

Thanks in advance 👍

drpixie
16th Mar 2020, 07:45
"Restrictions" is a vague term - lots of us have restrictions like "Reading correction must be available" - no big deal.

PS. The CASA medical guide is (used to be) available online - it assumes you're a doctor, but could be helpful.

JMC23
16th Mar 2020, 08:22
Hi drpixie, I have send you a PM 👍

RetiredBA/BY
16th Mar 2020, 09:03
Many years ago I had a severe middle ear problem, viral damage to the basal coil of the cochlear, after a long fight I was given a class 1 but AS OR WITH CO PILOT, as a captain no problem, I had to do my medicals at CAA HQ, with the pmo, then Dr John Lemon. Clearly, John, who had been principal medical officer in bomber command when I was in the RAF. lived up to his principal that he wanted to keep pilots flying, if sensible, not looking for every opportunity to ground them.

Such a contrast to the ORL consultant to the CAA, an RAF AVM but whose opinion which was to ground me, was contradicted by a very distinguished and respected Harley Street consultant,

After two years symptom free the restriction was removed and my medicals were with my regular AMO.