PDA

View Full Version : Bay of Bengal Lack of HF reception in Kolkata FIR

RandomPerson8008
15th Mar 2020, 11:25
Hello,

Apologies if this is a well known problem: Consider me new to the route.

What is the accepted procedure for flying across the Bay of Bengal in Kolkata's airspace on L301?

Yangon provides a VHF frequency handoff westbound for Kolkata....no response from Kolkata. I then begin trying all published HF frequencies after transmitting a blind position report on the published primary frequencies. No response.

Luckily the CPDLC seems to work but even that can be somewhat sporadic with seemingly random terminations and log-ons re-accepted by VECF.

Am I a rube for trying this hard to contact them? The most frustrating thing is that sometimes the VHF and HF seem to work OK, other days it does not work at all, and still others one will work but not the other. Not ideal for situataions where weather deviations may be required and CPDLC message response can be 5+ minutes and 50+ NM. Are IATA in-flight broadcast procedures being utilized in this FIR? I usually hear several other aircraft trying in vain to contact Kolkata simultaneously. Even more ridiculous is the supposed requirement for a call 10 minutes prior to the FIR boundary.

Should we really be relying solely on sporadic CPDLC for ATC comms in this airspace?

Thank you.

hamil
16th Mar 2020, 00:50
No worries, welcome to the club, and you'd be a lucky guy if you'd faced a different scenario.

Well, when I'm flying westbound VECF has never replied to my calls on HF, only on VHF -- but 10 minutes before its FIR boundary (when leaving VGFR Airspace). So, while in the Yangon airspace I always try to contact Dhaka as soon as possible (most of the time more than 10 min before its FIR) while on CPDLC with VYYF and keep watching the IFBP frequency (and 121.5 as well)

As far as I know, based on my experience in that area, Dhaka and Yangon VHF frequencies work well. BUT I've never requested FL changes before leaving that mess.

RandomPerson8008
16th Mar 2020, 03:21
Thank you, Hamil. I will excpect this mode of opreation as normal for Kolkata and take action on IFBP or 121.5 to broadcast intentions if necessary. Our present flight routings do not routinely transit Dhaka's airspace, but instead pass further south over the Bay. In the past such flight were typically routed further north along A599, but this is no longer the case for reasons unbeknownst to me (perhaps dhaka has increased their overflight fees? More likely China has restricted the route.).

krismiler
16th Mar 2020, 06:50
Same thing further south with Chennai, once out of VHF coverage you can go the entire way across the Bay of Bengal with no HF comms at all, and your next contact will be with Jakarta control on VHF nearing Sumatra. Colombo however are pretty good and will be on SELCAL to you if you are a minute late with a position report.