PDA

View Full Version : Jet2.com Statement: Spain - All flights cancelled

clareprop
14th Mar 2020, 09:41
From Flight24 radar

At least 5 Jet2 flights with destination Spain have turned around and are returning to UK https://flightradar24.com/multiview/242e180c,242e1275,242e125a,242e13b1,242e12ec… (https://t.co/TpGWTvnI7b?amp=1)

Edit: Apparently seven aircraft with Spanish destinations have now turned around as Jet 2 cancels all flights to Spain.

"In response to local measures introduced throughout Spain to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including the closure of bars, restaurants, shops and activities including any water sports, we have taken the decision to cancel all flights to Mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands with immediate effect.

BehindBlueEyes
14th Mar 2020, 10:11
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jet2-flights-spain-turned-round-17924343

WHBM
14th Mar 2020, 12:37
One wonders what will happen to pax who were checked out of hotels and already at the airport awaiting the return flights.

We were booked with Jet2 in 2 weeks time, Stansted to Lanzarote, I'll just wait and let them make contact at some time, I'm sure it's chaos at their Leeds HQ just now with people who won't wait.

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 12:46
One wonders what will happen to pax who were checked out of hotels and already at the airport awaiting the return flights.

We were booked with Jet2 in 2 weeks time, Stansted to Lanzarote, I'll just wait and let them make contact at some time, I'm sure it's chaos at their Leeds HQ just now with people who won't wait.
Flights on their way to collect them as normal. Just going out empty.
We in same boat potentially. Due to fly to Turkey soon. Turkey is currently ok to fly to but for how long?

ShyTorque
14th Mar 2020, 13:39
We have retired relatives who are just about to make their planned return from a 3 month winter break in Spain (they had been working toward this expedition for a very long time). They are travelling by road, along with a group of others doing the same. However, the resort they are now staying at, in common with others, has just been put into lockdown. They have been told at present they must not visit any public place, such as a restaurant. They can apparently leave to drive to the port on Sunday but can only go on the road at all because they have pre-booked a ferry crossing. They have also been told they cannot make an overnight stop en route, as they had planned for. That's going to make the 400 mile journey difficult because one of them has a medical condition. My wife has been phoning them to keep them better informed because unlike here in UK they have not had such ready access to the local media.

We are now expecting them to have to go into isolation on their arrival back in UK and will have difficulty getting "set up" again once home because not surprisingly they had completely run down all their stocks of food etc before leaving the country three months ago.

Interesting times ahead.

TheBat
14th Mar 2020, 14:56
.......Turkey is currently ok to fly to but for how long?
So say the "official" statistics, but I wonder how much of that is true..
Does anyone check the thousands of refugees passing through the country for example? If you don't get checked, you don't have the virus, do you?
Same with lots of other countries not in the North or West part of this world.
But then again, the "regime" gives the official numbers I guess - until they cannot control it.

infrequentflyer789
14th Mar 2020, 15:12
But then again, the "regime" gives the official numbers I guess - until they cannot control it.

This. Best example - Iran's usual average daily death rate must be over 1000, officially they claim 600 (total, across the whole country) deaths from the virus, so not a huge excess over normal, and yet we can see they are digging mass graves...

cafesolo
14th Mar 2020, 17:53
Shy Torque: Re your kin in Spain: I have just been advised by a dependable source (that agrees with a daily newspaper) that filling stations,grocers,chemists & tobacconists,among others,will be open. Clearly,food and tobacco may be difficult on Sunday (see what's on offer in filling
stations) but from Monday,self catering should not be a problem, nor medication.
Cafesolo

wisecaptain
14th Mar 2020, 20:45
Covid-19 .......Ever get the feeling that your NOT getting the truth , whole truth and nothing but the truth ..... I think were getting a degree of controlled truth here folks.

RexBanner
14th Mar 2020, 21:09
Indeed. Something stinks to high heaven here. What we are doing now in proportion to the threat risks tanking the economy worse than the Great Depression. Civil disorder, possibly riots on the streets and the potential for warfare. All to save a limited number of deaths in what will mostly be the elderly age bracket. Greater good anyone? If I was more conspiratorially minded I would say it reeks of a greater illuminati style plot but I’m sounding crazy. Or am I? This whole situation confuses the hell out of me.

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 21:16
Indeed. Something stinks to high heaven here. What we are doing now in proportion to the threat risks tanking the economy worse than the Great Depression. Civil disorder, possibly riots on the streets and the potential for warfare. All to save a limited number of deaths in what will mostly be the elderly age bracket. Greater good anyone? If I was more conspiratorially minded I would say it reeks of a greater illuminati style plot but I’m sounding crazy. Or am I? This whole situation confuses the hell out of me.
The cynicism of age says someone, somewhere is making money out of this.

Satoshi Nakamoto
14th Mar 2020, 21:39
Strange that they decided to return to base midway into flight. Quarantine in Spanish resorts was announced the night before.

Gipsy Queen
14th Mar 2020, 23:23

Rex, I think you are being unnecessarily dramatic here. Clearly, the world economy is suffering and will continue to suffer as time progresses; this is an inevitable corollary of the covid situation and government reactions to it. It is the duty of those governments and society generally to mitigate the affects of the coronovirus in so far as is possible but deaths in large numbers and rising exponentially, at least initially, must be anticipated. Obviously, some sections of the populace will be more susceptible to contracting this affliction having its genesis in disgusting conditions - no doubt the blame game will follow - and the elderly, quite obviously, will be an immediate target. I'm 80 and in the line of fire, although, thankfully, I'm in excellent health and am sanguine about my personal position. Nevertheless, I have to accept that I may succumb although not as a consequence of my age.

The "authorities", whilst publicly lamenting the loss of so much life, privately will be quietly pleased as a substantial number of deaths is required to build up the herd immunity necessary to combat this virus of which we have neither knowledge nor experience - at least not in the human world. Those measures to which you allude, generally speaking, have been preventative in nature and designed to allow a progressive spread of the virus so as not to overwhelm supportive services with a major onslaught. Nevertheless, spread of the disease must be contained wherever possible and inevitably, this will mean serious disruption. To suggest that this world-wide reaction to the conovirus is all to save a limited number of deaths in what will mostly be the elderly age bracket is infantile.

Frankly, I think there is a greater chance of civil disorder if the current situation is seen as an opportunity to delay or reverse agreed Brexit arrangements.

beardy
14th Mar 2020, 23:46
You guys need to get out more. Oh wait....

weebobby
29th Mar 2020, 13:02
How long do we think planes will remain grounded ? I’m assuming to the end of May ?

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Mar 2020, 15:24
How long do we think planes will remain grounded ? I’m assuming to the end of May

I'll just dust off my crystal ball:ugh:

Flying Hi
29th Mar 2020, 15:43
Andy then some I imagine.
Until Gov sees the deaths have fallen ot the bottom of that terrible bell-shaped graph, nothing will change.

Mr Good Cat
29th Mar 2020, 20:34
I think it's likely we will have to write off the entire summer for non-essential travel.

This will obviously be devastating to the aviation industry but the demand will come back eventually. For the leisure sector, Spain and Italy etc will be desperate for business, so I can't see them closing their borders for such a length of time that the economic fallout outweighs the threat of the virus. Late Winter will be busier than usual with a lot of people wanting to get away (especially to the sun) after 6 months of restricted living. This industry will look very different but I hope also that the public will turn against the ultra-capitalist corruption of our big companies and demand a better society.

Flying Hi
29th Mar 2020, 20:39
- - - the economic fallout outweighs the threat of the virus.
Wasn't it ever thus?

rotorwills
29th Mar 2020, 21:46
Considering that travel,insurance will be a big issue in holidaymakers I cannot see a very positive. In fact if you just do a quick ask around, more difficult now, you will see the lack of inclination to even think about a holiday. Considering also the economic disaster for the average working joe again is going to have a extreme adverse upon the holidaymakers. Conclusion really points to airlines that handled large amount of holiday traffic will suffer the most.
Air traffic between locations serving family and business connections will be better placed. Of the loco still about, their survival is logically pointed to FR, Ezy and Jet 2 in that order.

flocci_non_faccio
29th Mar 2020, 22:20
In fact if you just do a quick ask around, more difficult now, you will see the lack of inclination to even think about a holiday.

I think that the overwhelming sense is that people can’t wait to book a holiday as soon as travel is permitted.

Flying Hi
30th Mar 2020, 07:44
I think that the overwhelming sense is that people can’t wait to book a holiday as soon as travel is permitted.
I think I'd like to know whats happening to mine first. 6 weeks to go and no idea if we is or if we ain't.
If we ain't, then refund us.
I think Simon Calder has said that the holiday companies, and that must include my beloved Jet2 have approached the Gov for permission NOT to refund for 2 YEARS!
That little snippet seems to have missed these pages.

paully
30th Mar 2020, 08:01
Considering that travel,insurance will be a big issue in holidaymakers I cannot see a very positive. In fact if you just do a quick ask around, more difficult now, you will see the lack of inclination to even think about a holiday. Considering also the economic disaster for the average working joe again is going to have a extreme adverse upon the holidaymakers. Conclusion really points to airlines that handled large amount of holiday traffic will suffer the most.
Air traffic between locations serving family and business connections will be better placed. Of the loco still about, their survival is logically pointed to FR, Ezy and Jet 2 in that order.

Already travel insurers will not cover anyone for pandemic/virus or any other nasty that might cause them to pay out and renewal premiums are rocketing..Their next trick will be the question `Have you ever received a 12 week self isolate letter from the NHS?` if the answer is yes they will decline cover or the cost will be more than the holiday. Yes people will be desperate to get away, but for many, who would otherwise have done, it will be a struggle for survival. Not all jobs can be sustained, going forward. For those poor souls a holiday will be a dream not an aspiration.
Sadly just being realistic but trust me I would be delighted to be proved wrong..Fingers crossed I am..

cjhants
30th Mar 2020, 08:09
I had heard this snippet too. Firstly, don’t believe everything Mr Calder says or writes. Secondly, if the airlines/ tour operators try to delay refunds, they will run into problems with their credit card accounts. People refused a refund will run to their card provider for a refund, and these providers will hold back funds from the airline. We have seen issues with credit card provisions being the straw that broke the camel’s back on several recent airline failures.
I can see that in future, prepayments on airline tickets will have to be held in some sort of escrow account until the service you have paid for is actually provided. Airlines would be able to borrow against these prepayments, but not draw on them until the flight was complete. With the obvious problems ahead for the industry, I can not see the public or credit card companies willing to lend vast sums, unsecured,for many months ahead of a service being provided.

WHBM
30th Mar 2020, 10:16
This is all slightly surprising. When you pay with Visa/Mastercard etc the money does not go straight to the operator's bank account. It goes to an intermediate financial organisation called a Merchant Card Provider, there are several, selected by the operator. They take your money (straight away) and hold it until released to the operator. There is a negotiated formula for how it is released dependent on the creditworthiness of the operator, but for holidays the bulk is held on to until advised that the service has actually been delivered. There's even interest paid to the operator, though not much nowadays. The operator can do refunds from here. This is how, if the operator goes under, the credit card organisations can refund the money - it never went through to the operator in the first place. MCPs are the ones who provide the terminals, which is how the same desktop terminal can serve all of Visa, Mastercard, etc.

MCPs moving the percentage they hold on to until service is complete is a common cause for airlines etc finally going under, when the percentage held gets moved from say 80 to 100 percent.

It appears in the operators' accounts as an Accounts Receivable asset.

30th Mar 2020, 10:25
The consensus is that, while this is not going to go away, it will recede into the background somewhat. If you can't then take your flight or holiday due to infection it will be one of those things, similar to not turning up for a concert, festival, train journey or whatever. The credit companies won't get involved.
While not making light of the seriousness of the situation now, the large scale enforced cancellations won't be a factor when borders start to reopen.
It maybe that people won't be able to rely on insurance to smooth out every wrinkle in their lives.
This is the situation for almost everybody in the World anyway.