PDA

View Full Version : MD500 training in S Africa

nigelh
11th Mar 2020, 10:45
I am going to SA to get my SA licence and do some VR training . I have flown on my FAA licence for last 10 years and let my CAA licence lapse with MD500 , 206 , 350 ratings .
I am now in month 3 waiting for my EASA licence with 505 on it but no 505 in SA to do my check ride .... I can get my 500 rating back on it and then do the check on that but need a TRE in SA to do it . I can do it on the 206 but I am being quoted over £2500 here ! I can borrow a 500 which would be much cheaper hence this convoluted question....!!

Bell_ringer
11th Mar 2020, 10:57
There aren’t many 500’s about attached to an ATO, you can try safomar at grand central, they used to have access to one a while ago.

nigelh
11th Mar 2020, 18:55
I’m wondering if it would just be easier to fly on my FAA licence out there . Anybody done SFH there on FAA ticket ??

Flyting
11th Mar 2020, 18:56
Try Aeronautic Solutions at Grand Central Airport Johannesburg

nigelh
11th Mar 2020, 19:00
Thanks . Will call them . Just want to be able to SFH a 350 , 407 or 206 couple times a year and do some training .

Bell_ringer
11th Mar 2020, 19:06
Thanks . Will call them . Just want to be able to SFH a 350 , 407 or 206 couple times a year and do some training .

dual time shouldn’t be a problem, if you need a DFE next to none are current on some of the types.

Hughes500
11th Mar 2020, 19:55
Nigel
You have to have a type on your EASA licence to open it. So that will be the Bell 505, presumably you did an EASA skills test / PC in UK to set the EASA wheels in motion so why do you need to do a check ride ? Or am I missing something

nigelh
12th Mar 2020, 10:48
It appears I need to do my SA check ride on a type that I have on my licence but also a type they have on their ATO .....so again , does anyone here fly in SA on their FAA licence?

Bell_ringer
12th Mar 2020, 12:42
It appears I need to do my SA check ride on a type that I have on my licence but also a type they have on their ATO .....so again , does anyone here fly in SA on their FAA licence?

You can only fly on an FAA license on an N-reg aircraft. If you want to fly a ZT or ZS then you need a CAASA license.

Bell_ringer
12th Mar 2020, 12:48
And to add to that, to revalidate a caasa license you need to meet the maintaining of competency requirements:

(a) in the case of a holder of a CPL where the maintenance of competency has lapsed by not more than 36 months, the licence holder shall be required to—

(i)undergo sufficient ground and flight training at an approved ATO to reach the standard required for the revalidation check of a CPL(H), and meet the recency requirements to act as PIC; and

(ii)pass a revalidation check in the same category of aircraft;

(b) in the case of a holder of a CPL where the maintenance of competency has lapsed by more than 36 months, the licence holder shall be required to:

(i)rewrite the Air Law examination;

(ii)undergo sufficient ground and flight training at an approved ATO to reach the standard required for the revalidation check of a CPL(H), and meet the recency requirements to act as PIC; and

(iii)pass an initial licence skills test in the same category of aircraft.

nigelh
12th Mar 2020, 18:39
So if FAA licence is not accepted then I guess the only way forward is to get a type rating on a type that my school in SA can teach on .
What is irritating is that it appears I will then have to do 3 hours ( inc test ) to get back my 206 rating when I have a 505 on my licence ..... which IS a 206 but with Garmin !!! Why every country can’t follow USA system I don’t know 🤦‍♂️

Bell_ringer
12th Mar 2020, 18:57
The 3 hours is only a requirement for ppl(h) no such requirement for cpl. If you’re under 3 years lapsed then you just need to show the school you’re proficient, then test, which shouldn’t be a problem.
A good instructor should suss that out quickly and not waste your time and money. Some will milk it unfortunately.