PDA

View Full Version : Best Mobile Carrier

airwolf117
10th Mar 2020, 11:58
Hi all!
Couldn't find a thread, please direct me if I've missed it!

Which mobile carrier is best for pilots? I'm coming to the US for a few months and will be flying primarily in Florida and Surrounding states (maybe one trip to Texas).

1. Who is best for coverage?
2. If its all the same, who has the best deals generally?

Thanks all!

340drvr
10th Mar 2020, 12:51
Verizon works well for me, Florida to Seattle, any state. Only time I don't have signal is a few places in the west, and usually somewhere obvious like in a canyon, or behind a mountain range, etc. Don't know about the other providers.

flash8
10th Mar 2020, 17:30
Do all US networks phones take SIM cards?
I believe some don't... meaning you cannot reuse your existing GSM/3G/4G/5G mobile unless you stick to certain networks?
Mind you my information is dated, perhaps changed?

fuelsurvey
10th Mar 2020, 20:50
Verizon has a great network but it’s CDMA.

if you want to use GSM your best bet is AT&T. They have an unlimited pay as you go plan for $45 a month. You can pick up a SIM card at Walmart, Target, Best Buy or the AT&T store.

You’ll see some good T-mobile deals but the coverage is spotty outside cities.

rudestuff
10th Mar 2020, 21:10
Hi all!
Couldn't find a thread, please direct me if I've missed it!

Which mobile carrier is best for pilots? I'm coming to the US for a few months and will be flying primarily in Florida and Surrounding states (maybe one trip to Texas).

1. Who is best for coverage?
2. If its all the same, who has the best deals generally?

Thanks all!

Where are you from?

flash8
11th Mar 2020, 11:46
Out of interest is ID required when purchasing SIM cards from outlets (such as Walmart) in the US?

fuelsurvey
11th Mar 2020, 14:18
Out of interest is ID required when purchasing SIM cards from outlets (such as Walmart) in the US?

No ID required

airwolf117
11th Mar 2020, 15:10
Where are you from?
coming from Australia. Our roaming is criminally expensive

fuelsurvey
11th Mar 2020, 21:01
To use your own unlocked GSM phone you’ll want to be on the AT&T network. Either directly through AT&T using their prepaid option or an MVNO like tracfone.

https://www.androidcentral.com/complete-list-att-mvnos