PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory renewal

digits_
9th Mar 2020, 16:00
Hello all,

I had some questions regarding an EASA atpl theory renewal.

My situation:
- I wrote the EASA atpl theory exams in Belgium in 2011.
- My latest EASA IR renewal was in 2013 with an expiry in 2014.
- I hold an expired/non-current EASA CPL with expired ratings
- I hold a valid and current Canadian ATPL with valid and current instrument rating

For the issue of an EASA ATPL, my ATPL theory is only valid for 7 years from my latest IR, so it's about due. I am contemplating wether or not to spend a couple of thousand euros to reset it by doing an EASA checkride. I have no intention on flying with my EASA license in the next 5 years, it would purely be for a "just in case" situation.

My questions:
1) If I have to rewrite my ATPL theory, would I be required to take a ground course at a school?
2) Are there any EASA countries that would allow my Canadian ATPL to waive my ATPL theory requirement? I know Hungary has some special/easier rules, but I was wondering if there were any others?
3) Would there by any point in renewing my EASA instrument rating at this point?

Thank you for your advice!

digits

covec
9th Mar 2020, 17:21
Hello all,

I had some questions regarding an EASA atpl theory renewal.

My situation:
- I wrote the EASA atpl theory exams in Belgium in 2011.
- My latest EASA IR renewal was in 2013 with an expiry in 2014.
- I hold an expired/non-current EASA CPL with expired ratings
- I hold a valid and current Canadian ATPL with valid and current instrument rating

For the issue of an EASA ATPL, my ATPL theory is only valid for 7 years from my latest IR, so it's about due. I am contemplating wether or not to spend a couple of thousand euros to reset it by doing an EASA checkride. I have no intention on flying with my EASA license in the next 5 years, it would purely be for a "just in case" situation.

My questions:
1) If I have to rewrite my ATPL theory, would I be required to take a ground course at a school?
2) Are there any EASA countries that would allow my Canadian ATPL to waive my ATPL theory requirement? I know Hungary has some special/easier rules, but I was wondering if there were any others?
3) Would there by any point in renewing my EASA instrument rating at this point?

Thank you for your advice!

digits

Hi. My EASA IR lapsed greater than 7 years. Had to attend groundschool & do sufficient training to do a full IRT with a CAAFU Examiner.

You cannot resit the exams now except via a registered groundschool provider who confirms with the CAA Exam Authority e.g. UK CAA or Austro et al that you are on a certified groundschool.

I did the IR Exams. But if one day you want to be a Captain then you need to do the ATPLs again bar VFR Comms. Assuming that you are a valid CPL holder.

Electronic sign up with a CAA legally required too.