PDA

View Full Version : Heliskiing Canada

Heliflyger
9th Mar 2020, 14:16
Hi.
I’m planning a skiing trip to Canada next winter, any Canadian heliski pilots who can give me advice on the best period for heliskiing around Revelstoke? February or March? Which company?

regards Stig

blackdog7
9th Mar 2020, 17:02
Hi.
I’m planning a skiing trip to Canada next winter, any Canadian heliski pilots who can give me advice on the best period for heliskiing around Revelstoke? February or March? Which company?

regards Stig

CMHC or Selkirk Tangiers are primary companies in Revelstoke. Feb is usually better snow conditions with worse weather and March is better weather with slightly deteriorating snow conditions.

helisdw
10th Mar 2020, 04:05
Hello Stig,

If you’re coming to Revelstoke then it’s worth checking out Eagle Pass Heliskiing (https://www.eaglepassheliskiing.com/) - they exclusively use A-Stars so it’s small group skiing which often means more runs per day and some interesting / varied terrain. They offer day trips as well as multi-day packages. There are lots of trees around Revelstoke so even on snowier days there is normally sufficient visual reference to get flying...

As mentioned by blackdog7, February typically sees more consistent snowfall and March more sunshine - but saying that, there’s a storm forecast tomorrow that’s due to deliver 20-25cm of snow! If you’re after high alpine lines and / or glacier skiing then the later you leave it in the season then the more likely you will be to access this sort of terrain. The local ski area (Revelstoke Mountain Resort (https://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/conditions/historical-snowfall)) has a graph of historical snow levels that will let you see how things have accumulated over previous seasons.

Enjoy your trip!

psc85c
19th Mar 2020, 15:50
Stig-

I've been heli-skiing in the Cariboos and Monashees (just NW of Revelstoke) for over 30 years.

Both of the prior replies are dead-on accurate.

Please ask yourself how comfortable you are skiing in trees as this dictates your timing. Personally, I like tree skiing as the trees protect the snow so it tends to be deeper.

The earlier you go, the higher the chance you will be skiing in the trees. That said, last December we were on the glacier in the sun and the last week in February it snowed every day and we spent the whole week in the trees. It's weather.

I hope this helps.

nowherespecial
22nd Mar 2020, 15:41
As discussed above,if you want storm skiing go earlier in the season and smash the trees. If you want alpine above the tree line to ski 'lines', go in March as a general statement. I hear absolutely brilliant things about Mica Heli Skiing and the lodge. It's about a 2 hour drive north of Revelstoke and then the AS350 takes you across the lake to get to the 5* lodge. There is lots of good footage from the pro freeskiers skiing there on youtube.