PDA

View Full Version : Pilots flying over the age of 60

downwind
12th Aug 2002, 14:58
Is this sort of flying ok with regards to the aviation medical authoritys around the world?

And does this sort of older age pilot effect the broader aviation medicine scenario?

What medical implications can occur with the over 60 aged pilot?

Do the Airlines around the World like, or approve this older age pilot?:)

QDMQDMQDM
13th Aug 2002, 07:55
The fellow who just instructed me to revalidate my licence is in his early 70s and still flies turbine twins on commercial single pilot charter.

QDM

gofer
18th Aug 2002, 02:43
Seem to remember the fairly recent case of a Crossair Captain who flew into ORY or CDG just on or after his 60th and was promptly grounded as France doesn't allow 60+ 3 dimensional bus drivers !

Anybody go the pointer to this...

Lou Scannon
20th Aug 2002, 10:33
I believe that is just a case of the French ignoring any Community rule that they feel like. The Gentleman's licence is valid in any Community country up to age 65 and he will possibly have a case against the French Government in the European Courts of Justice.

Which the Frogs will then totally ignore anyway.

I presume that their attitude has spread across the Channel to the Dover Customs who see fit to ignore the recent High Court ruling on random searches. I don't see any of them in jail until they purge their contempt so perhaps the "French" system is catching on. (Since the Customs seem to have Government support perhaps Mr Blair will soon be ignoring other High Court judgements).

And we used to say..."Be you ever so mighty, the law is above you!".

royung
22nd Aug 2002, 16:23
There was a presentation at the AsMA 2002 meeting by the ICAO president and other country representatives about this topic. It was interesting to hear that Canada (James Wallace of Transport Canada) and Japan (Yasuhiko Miura of Japan Aeromedical Research Center) related that their countries allow ATP flyers to continue flight ops beyond age 60 with some stipulations (e.g. as long as the other crewmembers on the flight are younger than 60, etc.). These representatives did mention that not too many pilots do continue to fly because they're ready to be done with the business...is this true?

Cathar
22nd Aug 2002, 19:13
There is not yet any EC legislation on age limits for FCL. The French are legally entitled to insist on the ICAO standard being applied.

U2
28th Aug 2002, 12:34
If anyone knows where I can locate on-line articles/journals/newspapers/websites on this subject I would appreciate your post or email.

U2

Semaphore Sam
4th Sep 2002, 19:53
royung mentioned:

>These representatives did mention that not too many pilots do continue to fly because they're ready to be done with the business...is this true?

If I'm a Delta or United 35-year pilot with a 1.1 million golden handshake and a bulging pension & health plan, well yes.
However, many old freight dogs, contractors, people whose pensions have been stolen by shady employers/governments, and plain unlucky people (chose Braniff or Eastern instead of Delta) still need steady income for college, mortgages, etc. These people have no political power compared to those opposed; thus, til the market is short of people (which it decidedly IS NOT), no changes can be anticipated.