PDA

View Full Version : Anti-depressants allowed (class 1 medical)

itsdanny02
5th Mar 2020, 18:25
Hi,

I'm looking to commence pilot training within the next year, hopefully as soon as September. I'm still yet to gain my class 1 medical. However, I currently take escitaloprám which is a form of SSRI anti-depressants used to treat depression and anxiety with a combination of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). Will the CAA doctor allow me my class 1 medical whilst on this?

IRRenewal
5th Mar 2020, 19:19
You're in the wrong forum, as this is a medical and health question rather than terms and endearment.

I would suggest you start by looking at the CAA website. This would be a good starting point: https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Medical-certification-for-pilot-licences/

The medication you're on is specifically mentioned as allowable but it depends on the dose and I would assume you personal circumstances. It might be a good idea to talk to a friendly local AME before committing to any serious training to avoid issues later.

I have no medical qualifications beyond using the search functions available on the internet. You might get better answers if you post this in medical & health.

Good luck.

Superpilot
6th Mar 2020, 02:40
Generally speaking, yes, you should be good. If you've been taking them a while already and there's no side effects and the Consultant/Dr who prescribed them is happy, he/she simply needs to provide the appropriate confirmation. Don't worry, SSRIs are increasingly being used to treat all manner of issues and are well tolerated by the UK CAA.

Uplinker
8th Mar 2020, 15:10
I am not trying to be funny but are you sure that being a pilot is the best career path if you have depression and anxiety?

Will you be OK during spin recovery, stall recovery, crosswind landings, turbulent approaches, night flying, engine failure after take-off, etc. ?

I am not having a go at you, I am genuinely concerned.

Superpilot
9th Mar 2020, 01:26
Uplinker, I read that differently. He's taking a medicine that acts in the same way as antidepressants do but not necessarily for depression and anxiety itself? It's not clear though. Maybe the OP could return and update us.

SSRIs are a growing field as medical professionals realise now that a lot of physical issues of the body are not because of problems related to body parts or organs themselves but simply because there's a miscommunication/over-communication within the neural pathways to the brain. Specifically tuned anti-depressants it turns out, act on these pathways in the same way we understand them to act on things more local to brain, e.g. mood. Hence, providing there's no side effects (you lose your medical during the trial process), you can be prescribed them and retain your medical.

Rocket Ron
10th Mar 2020, 12:48
Anti-depressants always have side effects, they are poison, just ask my partner, she’s been on and off them for years. They are also highly addictive and trying to get off them frequently makes things worse.