PDA

View Full Version : Flying floats in the Pacific Islands

Flying Ted
4th Mar 2020, 20:08
Hi Guys, I'm thinking about my next aviation adventure and seeking advice.

I read somewhere that flying a floatplane is the next best thing to horizontal folk dancing and so I'm thinking of giving this a go (floatplanes that is). To further add to the experience I was wondering whether it is possible to get an endorsement somewhere exotic like the Pacific Islands. I'm sure some of you have experience with this type of flying. Is this a crazy idea? How would I go about getting it organized?

Cheers FT

Office Update
4th Mar 2020, 20:39
Assuming this is not a prankster ....
Try sending your CV to all the Pacifc Island operators!
Remember that local Island operators/Countries will have labor laws in place to protect National citizens of their own country.

aroa
4th Mar 2020, 21:31
An endorsement might be handy first. !
I see on Utube re flying floats, many places in Alaska offering training but now with the weak dollar maybe not so competitive for the Oz shows. But the scenery looks a knockout. "Summer" would be the go

Beavers rule
4th Mar 2020, 22:09
I have flown floats extensively in America, Canada and Fiji as well as OZ. My advice , don't even consider the Islands. It is mostly open water operations and can be very hazardous most days for the inexperienced. Get a heap of "calm" water time under your belt first. Alaska or Canada is the perfect introduction. The weather is a challenge but the skills learnt are invaluable. Open water for the inexperienced will end in tears. B.R.

blackburn
4th Mar 2020, 22:50
There is a float plane operator at Williamstown in Melbourne who does floatplane training.

Stickshift3000
5th Mar 2020, 21:34
Why not do the endorsement somewhere nice in Aus? I've spoken with South Coast Seaplanes (NSW) over the years as they're based near my in-laws. Beautiful area to fly and learn, nice folks. Make a nice trip out of it.

aroa
5th Mar 2020, 22:23
An outfit at Pt McQuarie also. Mebourne Seaplanes.?

Capt Fathom
5th Mar 2020, 23:58
Pt McQuarie

Not the best way to make friends in Port Macquarie! :}

Flying Ted
6th Mar 2020, 23:52
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. this is a genuine inquiry.

BR: the open vs closed water is helpful. What of sort of time would be talking about to gain sufficient experience? (FYi, I hold an open water skippers ticket) Are there any canadian or Alaskan operators that you could suggest I approach. To be clear, I’m looking for private ops and not a job.

tyanks also for the suggestions about Williamstown. This is close to home.

cheers eric

WannaBeBiggles
7th Mar 2020, 22:14
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. this is a genuine inquiry.

BR: the open vs closed water is helpful. What of sort of time would be talking about to gain sufficient experience? (FYi, I hold an open water skippers ticket) Are there any canadian or Alaskan operators that you could suggest I approach. To be clear, I’m looking for private ops and not a job.

tyanks also for the suggestions about Williamstown. This is close to home.

cheers eric

While an open water skippers licence will help a bit with some experience reading the water, flying floats adds a new dynamic (How often have you been going 60-100kt on the water?). Having said that, there are a number of pilots, myself included, that have started their career flying floats in open water. It does require some solid mentoring and supervision to begin with. Flying floats is definitely the most fun you can have with your pants on, but it requires discipline and things can go from good to bad very, very quickly.

Rod Gunther at Melbourne Seaplanes is a very good instructor and does a very good float rating.

aroa
8th Mar 2020, 08:04
No matter with the spelling...people know the place.
A bit like Cans really...can be either Cannes France or Cairns FNQ

Jerry Springer
27th Mar 2020, 20:01
Plenty of operators in Australia were you can do a rating. After that, apply for a job! The Maldives was hiring like mad up until this Corona crap.